Pay AME vs Pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fred_fredericks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pay AME vs Pilots

Post by fred_fredericks »

Just looking to see if people think that the pay gap between the AME's and the pilot's is fare. There was the differance in trainning fee's, pilots being higher but in the last few years it has increassed alot for maintenance courses it can cost as much as 20000 dollars, to take the maintenance trainning. The AME trade is a skilled position, as is the pilot's, it takes 4 years to become an AME, you can't just have lots of money and buy yourself a few hours in a 150 and get a licence you really need to work for the full time to get your trade ticket. And I do beleive that there is as great'a responsibility when you are working on the aircraft or you are flying the aircraft.

Don't take this post the wrong way I don't think that being a pilot is all cake and no work I respect the pilot's and their jobs. I just want to see what others think. :)

Any comments!!
---------- ADS -----------

Underpaid, Underappreciated

Fred
lazionic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lazionic »

I think your signature sums it all up. BTW I believe AME's are still considered semi- skilled, once we get recognized as skilled, the pay should increase for the AME's. Don't know of any plans that any form of government is ready to change this.[/b]

If you think a professional costs a lot, wait until you see what an amateur will cost you ;)
lazionic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lazionic »

oops double post.

If you think a professional costs a lot, wait until you see what an amateur will cost you ;)
fred_fredericks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fred_fredericks »

It's good to know that it's only semi-skilled work :shock: . Lets see them work for 20 hours outside at -40 and see if they think it takes no skill :oops: . This job requires more skill than most other trades with many more people counting on our skill and profficancy. I enjoy what I do and wouldn't change it :) . Thanks for your feed back.

Underpaid, Underappreciated

Fred
KKboy
Rank 3
Rank 3

semi skilled

Post by KKboy »

I have seen this semi skilled tag before.
Actually this is incorrect in Canada, semi skilled is the american description of an A+P license.
The american AI is more representative of the Canadian AME license.

The problem is most AME's are not good business people and cannot negotiate worth a pinch of what ever, pilots tend to be better at this.

The training and investments between pilots and engineers is different.
Pilots do tend to have the cash up front problem and an ongoing issue with medicals etc.
Engineers tend to do the apprentice thing and up front training is no that heavy.
In the end however you get what you negotiate.

The real winners are the union clowns, an Air Canada Flight attendant with 40 years seniority will make 6 figures. (yes it is true these grannies do exist)
How about 60k for baggage loading.

In any case pilots and engineers need to work together on the line or the glue which makes it all work dissolves so don't worry about it.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Since when are pilots making good money?

KKboy
Rank 3
Rank 3

wages

Post by KKboy »

What is an Air Canada Captain's work week.
10 hours?

ZLIN 142C
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ZLIN 142C »

Whether on the pilot or maintenance side of things, this industry doesn't pay what it's worth. It seems like everything in aviation is Godawful expensive except labour. As for AMEs being "semi-skilled", that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Nowhere else that I can think of do you need to know so much or take so much responsibility for the work you do, and receive so little in return. Such is the law of supply and demand, I guess. But I think the industry will get better with time. The problem right now is that no one really knows where all the money in aviation goes. There must be lots in there somewhere - nobody's ever taken any out!

Reminds me of the years I spent working as a ranch hand. For what you had to know and be able to do, the pay was ridiculous. Then there was the cost of expensive horses and expensive tack. The only saving grace was that your living costs were next to nothing. Still, it was a great life and I don't regret doing it. Now I'm looking for work as a pilot. . . you know, I'm starting to see a pattern here. . .

Understanding begets harmony; in seeking the first you will find the last.

Return to “Maintenance”