M1 and/or M2 ???

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

planeguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

M1 and/or M2 ???

Post by planeguy »

I've heard from some people in the industry that it can be difficult obtaining an M2 job, and therefore license, once one has obtained the M1 license. Today's regulations with TC states that to obtain an M2, one would have to complete 70% of the necessary tasks required (on M2 aircraft), even if one has an M1 license. And! if the M1 engineer had any M2 signoffs previously to obtaining the M1, the signoffs would not be recognized and the engineer would have to start from scratch. However! if the engineer waits until he or she has both 70% of M1 and 70% of M2 signoffs (non-cumulative), they can apply for both at the same time.

If I have all M1 signoffs and some M2 signoffs, and I want to work on corporate or widebody aircraft, would I have a better chance in obtaining a job with M2 aircraft applying as an apprentice, or obtain my M1 and apply with that???

With these regulations, it would take less time if I applied to an M2 company as an apprentice to obtain my M2. However, the M1 may look more attractive to companies and therefore I may fill my logbook out using the M1 as a selling point.

Also! I have experience on Beech 1900D aircraft; does anyone know whether it's been confirmed if this aircraft is registered M1 or M2??? I have heard that some engineers have used this aircraft to obtain their M2 rather than the 1900C... The answer to this may help change my course dramatically.
---------- ADS -----------

KISS_MY_TCAS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by KISS_MY_TCAS »

If you aspire to work on corporate and/or widebodies, don't waste your time. It is a lot easier to get in as an apprentice to work towards an M2 than it is to be a licensed M1 guy trying to get his foot in the door of a company operating M2 aircraft. Obviously you have already logged the requirements to get your M1, but another added benefit to having both M1 and M2 is the fact that E and S ratings are integrated into an M1/M2 license, so you get a lot more than you bargained for even though you would need an AMO approval for E or S work. I apprentice in an M1/M2 environment so I got both, glad I did. It opens a whole world of opportunity.

As fas as the 1900C/D debate, there is a fine line to be drawn there. It all depends on the TC inspector that is doing your license approval. There is an airworthiness notice (I tried to locate the number for reference but failed) that lists what applies for M1 and what applies for M2, and the 1900 if I remember correctly was one of the fence-sitters due to being over 12,500 but having 19 passengers. It can go either way depending on your inspectors mood (I am NOT kidding, my inspector had the same problem with the fact that I had worked on Jetstream 31s, same classification, ex M7). I say get the M2 while you can, then plan your next move once the license in in your hands.

flyboeing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by flyboeing »

From what i heard from the TC in YYC;
1900D- M1
1900C-M2

I heard though that a couple TC inspectors in YXS, will give you both M1 AND M2 with any 1900 C or D. I personnal know of two guys who this has happened to.

Return to “Maintenance”