Australia changes the rules

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jetdoc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Australia changes the rules

Post by jetdoc »

See Below, but since Australia is willing to accept both Canadian and UK AME's shouldn't it work both ways??

CASA media release - Friday 18 July 2008
Red tape cut to help boost Engineer numbers

Red tape hindering experienced overseas and defence force aircraft engineers from joining the Australian aviation industry has been cut by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

Procedures for qualified aircraft engineers to have their skills and training recognised have been streamlined to help boost the numbers of Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers.

This follows a careful review of maintenance personnel licensing requirements by CASA.

The changes will reduce the time and costs for overseas or Australian defence trained aircraft engineers to gain approval to work in the Australian civil aviation maintenance industry.

New procedures will mean the qualifications of overseas and defence engineers can be assessed before they come to Australia or leave the defence force.

CASA examined the maintenance personnel licensing system and regulatory oversight of six nations and has agreed to recognise engineers from these nations without a requirement for further technical examinations.

The recognised nations are Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands and the United Kingdom.

It is expected the list of recognised nations will grow as CASA continues to make more assessments.

CASA has also reviewed the training and qualifications provided by the defence forces and determined what levels provide the equivalent technical competency to the civilian requirements.

This means defence engineers who have reached these levels do not have to sit further exams.

CASA chief executive officer, Bruce Byron, says the changes are good news for Australia’s aviation industry.

“The aviation industry always needs engineers and by cutting red tape we can open up new opportunities for new people with the right qualifications to fill critical vacancies,” Mr Byron says.

“Overseas aircraft engineers will find Australia a more attractive place to work and defence force engineers can move more smoothly into civilian occupations.”
---------- ADS -----------

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless what we are told;

Religious dogma is doing what we are told, no matter what is right."
conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Australia changes the rules

Post by conehead »

“Overseas aircraft engineers will find Australia a more attractive place to work..."

Only if they pay better... it's all about the money.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

conehead wrote:“Overseas aircraft engineers will find Australia a more attractive place to work..."

Only if they pay better... it's all about the money.
Absolutely.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
tiny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tiny »

Anybody know what they do pay down under, for AMEs?

jsmetalbashers
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jsmetalbashers »

One of the guys from work just got on with an outfit in Sydney. I think he's getting something like 80G's plus 10 for moving expenses.

tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

I'm all for removing red tape but from the comments Australian LAMEs have made on PPrune I'm a bit suspicious.

There was a lot of griping a couple of years ago from expat Aussies about wages. I was interested because there was a place in Melbourne advertising but when you asked enough questions it was just another hire/layoff, hire/layoff, hire/layoff third party heavy maintenance yo-yo. What they advertised and what you actually got were very different.

Unless things have changed very recently I think you will find wages in Canada comparable or even slightly less awful.

rockerboss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rockerboss »

jsmetalbashers wrote:One of the guys from work just got on with an outfit in Sydney. I think he's getting something like 80G's plus 10 for moving expenses.
I like the sounds of that!

Connaught
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Connaught »

i am in Perth Australia, on 90k a year, there are some on as much as 120 if you got the f-100 ticket, GA guys are making 50-80 depending on the company, this is a quick snap shot of Perth only - different pays on the east coast

ozame
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ozame »

Not that much has changed with CASA. Overseas AME's still have to sit the CTC exams.

Way better pay in Oz WA than in Vancouver, BC. Only work half as much and well over $100k with the DHC8 licence

But no mountains or snow

Return to “Maintenance”