compass flag on RMI a must have??

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

chubbee
Rank 3
Rank 3

compass flag on RMI a must have??

Post by chubbee »

I can't find a compulsory reason from CARS, FARS or TSO to have a compass flag on an RMI.
Common sense would indicate the wisdom but some have it and some don't.
Example King KI-229 does not and KI-582 does both being hooked up to a gyro stabilized magnetic Heading system.
Anybody have more wisdom/insight into this???
---------- ADS -----------

lazionic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lazionic »

http://www.seaerospace.com/king/kni582.htm Are you talking about the heading flag? The reason I'd guess, is that the compass card could always be refernced to another system such as a STBY compass. And if it was compulsory to have this flag then both instruments would have one.

If you think a professional costs a lot, wait until you see what an amateur will cost you ;)
chubbee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chubbee »

Yeah the heading flag is what I meant.
Guess its an option.
Wonder if you could defer the flag circuit for Heading since its an optional item? Not that its a burning ambition to do so.

chubbee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chubbee »

Yeah the heading flag is what I meant.
Guess its an option.
Wonder if you could defer the flag circuit for Heading since its an optional item? Not that its a burning ambition to do so.

lazionic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lazionic »

Im not sure what you're getting at. You want to defer an instrument because it doesnt have a heading flag? :shock:

If you think a professional costs a lot, wait until you see what an amateur will cost you ;)
chubbee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chubbee »

No, I made a witless comment,
The cars, fars, jars would require / accept the TSO standard, the TSO requires documentation/manuals which provide for functional test of all the TSO'd units circuits /devices.
I think that the way it works is the applicable instructions for continuing airworthiness would be the maintenance provisions in the manufacturers install manual or ops manual which would be required to exist by the TSO. Although the applicable TSO standard is identical for the two RMIs I used as an example, I would expect that one requires a test of the heading flag and the other does not (because it doesn't have a flag) per the manufacturers perogitive.
So much of what we encounter in aviation is specifically mandated by regulation I was just a bit shocked to find this was not.

lazionic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lazionic »

chubbee wrote:No, I made a witless comment,
The cars, fars, jars would require / accept the TSO standard, the TSO requires documentation/manuals which provide for functional test of all the TSO'd units circuits /devices.
I think that the way it works is the applicable instructions for continuing airworthiness would be the maintenance provisions in the manufacturers install manual or ops manual which would be required to exist by the TSO. Although the applicable TSO standard is identical for the two RMIs I used as an example, I would expect that one requires a test of the heading flag and the other does not (because it doesn't have a flag) per the manufacturers perogitive.
So much of what we encounter in aviation is specifically mandated by regulation I was just a bit shocked to find this was not.
No worries i do that all the time. With so many regulaitons floating out there it sometimes takes a while to decrypt what they are saying.

tcas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tcas »

The heading flag in one instance is telling you its working, and two if it's a dual system it's telling you one or the other is out. Why would you want to defer it.

chubbee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chubbee »

I don't think it wise to defer a heading flag.
I do not want to defer a heading flag.
My common sense tells me all heading flags are a good thing.

But... if it is not required to be present by CARs or the aircraft manufacturer and the instrument maker has it on some models and not on others, both types installed in the same instrument panel even.
And there is no written prohibition against doing so.

What do you bet it hasn't been done some where, some time?

What if in the same panel you have a flagged RMI and one with no heading flag installed.
Has a pilot ever mistakenly followed an RMI displaying a faulty heading because it had no flag to display?

The situation has permutations and I was just getting my head around all of them. peace brother

Return to “Maintenance”