tool control

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

350TT
Rank 2
Rank 2

tool control

Post by 350TT »

I'm sure you have all heard of the surgeon who has forgotten something inside a patient and sewn them up. Rare, but it does happen... we are all human and bound to make mistakes or forget something.

How do you know when one of your tools goes missing ? Do you count them after the job is done ? Do you have foam cut-outs to see when a tool is not back in it's place ? I have to state again that my background is military and when a tool goes missing all aircraft are grounded until we find it, period.

From the question I asked in another post I realized that you will have way more tool kits than there are aircraft and wondered how you keep on top of "Joe" who borrowed your 3/8" box end wrench etc.

just curious,
350TT
---------- ADS -----------

GoWrench
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GoWrench »

Some companies are/have implemented foam cutouts or shadow boards(for shop tools) as a form of tool control.

I personnally have the original plastic trays from my screwdriver sets to keep them organized. All of my sockets are on socket rails. All of my wrenches are in holders. As for pliers and such, I try and take out only the tools that I need, and then put them right back in the drawer.
As for "Joe" who borrows my tools, its very seldom because all of the guys I work with have their own basic tools. If they dont have something and I do, I dont seem to have a difficult time tracking it.
BTW, my tools ONLY leave my toolbox through MY hand.

It's an unwritten rule in our hanger you dont go through another guys tool box without his permission. And if you do find someone's tools, give it back(with a slap on the wrist of course). We are a small shop so we tend to double check each others work, to help prevent accidents, lost tools etc.
So far, this system has worked pretty well for us.
Cheers and good luck
Nick.

Bulawrench
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Bulawrench »

I have even lent a tool to an apprentice and later found it cooked on top of an engine a week later. Adopt an entry in the work sheets to be signed off to look for tools before closing up any job. Time consuming but worth it.
Bula

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Now, on the other side of the coin 350TT, I FOUND a few tools in the aircraft. Found an entire Snapon set bouncing around in the cowls of the Dak. I've found several under the panel, under the seats (adjusting the seats or rails?) back by the rear bulkhead is another favorite hidding place for misplaced tools! But then, I've seen the aileron trim rigged in reverse....so anything's posssible? But no, I've never seen an aircraft grounded for a missing wrench...and I doubt anyone else has either.

chubbee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chubbee »

I have seen airplanes sit if a dropped tool is in an area where there is exposed electricals or flight control runs or other significant hazards. You just have to fish around til its found. Before starting work closing off engine openings like start bleed valves and VBV's is smart because fishing a 1/4 socket out from the interior of a compressor is a skill we really dont need to encourage people to practice. I have seen a whole spool of lockwire removed from the combustor of a CF6-50 after it had spent many thousands of hours in there (no damage). People that spend their own money at the snap on truck tend to keep track of the shiny stuff.

Return to “Maintenance”