Will Foreign AME course and experience count in Canada?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

getthat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Will Foreign AME course and experience count in Canada?

Post by getthat »

Hi, I have completed my AME course of 2 1/2 years and a 6 months of 0n-job Training in india. I have the certificates for these. but will my academic certificates ( i.e certificate of Completion) be validated in canada.But its neither a degree nor a diploma. Its issued by the college and the college is approved by the Indian Authority for civil aviation. i have a BAMEC in Radio stream (R) too, though i dont think that will count,as its issued from indian authority(i.e.DGCA). But can i know if my experience and academic experience be counted?? or do i need to undergo the ground course again coming there.

My family lives in canada, so i have 2 come there. So just plz help me on this regard. and also how to approach organizations coming there.
---------- ADS -----------

jetdoc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Will Foreign AME course and experience count in Canada?

Post by jetdoc »

As per the Canadian Aviation Regulations your experience and training would have be reviewed by a Transport Canada Inspector, who would then let you know what experience/training they accept and what you have to do to then obtain a Canadian licence. Basically its on a case by case basis, and from engineers that I know who have come from outside of Canada any experience/training you have will most likely be a credit towards your certification here.

CARS 566.06

(2) Other Basic Training

(a) Applicants who obtained their basic training through training systems other than a Transport Canada ATO (i.e. foreign, military, self-paced, distance learning, etc.), or who successfully completed a Transport Canada ATO course but failed to meet the experience credit requirement, shall submit their graduation certificate, together with a transcript of the training received to the applicable Transport Canada Center (TCC) for assessment. The training received shall be assessed against the pertinent specifications of section 566.03 of this standard and the following standards:
(amended 2003/09/01; previous version)

(i) The applicant shall have received a minimum of 1000 hours theory training applicable to the AME licence “M & E” ratings or 550 hours theory training applicable to the AME licence “S” rating, in order to be considered as having acceptable basic training.

(ii) The theory training will be evaluated in accordance with the specifications of this standard set out in Division II, Subdivision B, and the applicable provisions of Appendix C. However, the theoretical basic training need not contain a CARs component.

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless what we are told;

Religious dogma is doing what we are told, no matter what is right."
getthat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by getthat »

Thanks for the info. That was valuable. Well it means that i have to submit the certificates obtained from the college here to the REGIONAL TC center. so will i be able to write the license papers directly coming there without repeating the theory course?? And i need to write only the CAR or other papers too??

jetdoc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetdoc »

You will have to write the CARs exam for sure, as for any other technical exams will all depend on what they determine from your credentials. I don't think you will have a final answer until you get in to see a TC inspector and he reviews your case. Best of Luck

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless what we are told;

Religious dogma is doing what we are told, no matter what is right."
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

In '85 my parents came here from Israel, my dad was an aircraft mechanic in the IAF fixing skyhawks.

They did not recognize any of his training and made him re-apprentice from the start.

Wasn't much of an option for a guy with a wife and a kid on the way to make $6/hr to relearn what he allready knew.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

It's even bad for those in Canada who got there experience on military aircraft. A few fellow apprentices of mine had to work on T-33s and couldn't count all of the experience towards their license.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
tellyourkidstogetarealjob
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tellyourkidstogetarealjob »

getthat wrote: will i be able to write the license papers directly coming there without repeating the theory course?? And i need to write only the CAR or other papers too??
No one here can tell you that. I don't think you should get your hope too high.

Canada is notorious for allowing immigrants in based on their qualifications. Then they are not allowed to do the jobs they were trained for because they don't meet, 'Canadian standards'. This type of arrogance is everywhere in the world but Canadians have turned it into a national obsession.

For example, there are literally thousands of fully qualified doctors living in this country who are not working. Most were allowed to immigrate because of their qualifications. But, when they get here these doctors are not allowed to practice. The various provincial licensing authorities won't certify them, unless they go back to university and retake a ridiculous number of courses. Many just give up.

In your case, you have an extra problem. An A.M.E. license in Canada takes 48 months. Usually you go to school for up to two years and get 18 months experience credit. You then complete 30 months of work at an Approved Maintenance Organization to qualify for the A.M.E. license (48 months experience total).

You seem to only have 36 months total. That means you would be trying to convert an incomplete license. You might be disappointed.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

iflyforpie wrote:It's even bad for those in Canada who got there experience on military aircraft. A few fellow apprentices of mine had to work on T-33s and couldn't count all of the experience towards their license.
Do you remember all the South Africans that showed up at the shithole? As far as I can recollect, they ALL had to write the AME exams. They had training/experience from SAA that put our training to shame, and it was not recognized. They were treated as fresh apprentices, and wrote exams accordingly.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
bilko
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bilko »

Sorry mate but my experience with Transport Canada has been this.

India is considered a 3rd world country rife with corruption and you could have bought your certificate.

Worst case senario is to expect to start from scratch and do the apprentice thing with log book etc.

Did you contact any TC people on the internet.

I sent in a question regarding a licencing issue and had a good responce from them

best of luck, we need AME's here

bilko
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bilko »

Pat Richard

Were did these S.African Engineers work at? Shite hole pretty much narrows it down to about 50 Candaian ops\

I have worked with a lot of these guys (S.African)and any who are old enough to have worked through the sanction years are brillant. And if they came from a farm even more so, the term make honey from dog shit was never more true. Plus most are C130 men or have PT6 time
Drink beer love meat, bries and hard work.
Man if the ANC had a man with more than a grade 6 education Id set look for a job there.

qa guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by qa guy »

If you find work in a smaller AMO (at least one that is not unionized) the DOM should give you a chance to show your stuff, and if you are worth the money he will likely pay you accordingly. There are alot of unlicensed guys in this industry making pretty good money. (as much as I disagree with this) But write the exams and get a Canadian license, because you will need it to move up in this business.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Pat Richard wrote: Do you remember all the South Africans that showed up at the shithole? As far as I can recollect, they ALL had to write the AME exams. They had training/experience from SAA that put our training to shame, and it was not recognized. They were treated as fresh apprentices, and wrote exams accordingly.

Yep I remember. What a shame, they were top notch guys!

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

"shithole" = KFC, Kelowna.

Like I, and say, those guys were awesome, but TC thinks different.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
getthat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by getthat »

Hi.
Thanks for all the replies. it didn't end to conclusion so i guess i have to go to TC and see the rest. will let u know the result.

If anyone knows exactly then plz share the knowledge as i have still 2 months to come there. I hope someone knows the foreign AME s there.
Thanks.

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

Well what city are you going too? Then if we know that we can steer you into the direction you should be going with your CV's at least. Good luck.

getthat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by getthat »

I am going to Vancouver,British Columbia. How is it there?

bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

Dunno, sorry. Anyone else? You could try cascade. I don't know them at all so I could be sending you down the wrong path. Or there is Penta aviation. Ask around Avcanada for places there (YVR) and maybe (hopefully) someone could give you some good info. I'm in Calgary and there is a ton of work, some places are openly advertising for Connies which tells you how bad it is out here, or good, depends on how you look at it.

bigbert
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigbert »

I work at cascade, you can try to apply in 2 months, but I doubt you will be able to get a job currently, we are in the middle of layoffs, YAY Alaska!

getthat
Rank 1
Rank 1

British Columbia regional office address??

Post by getthat »

Can anyone provide me the address of the regional office in British Columbia?? Or provide me a link where i can find it.. I searched the transport canada website bt couldnt find it. Plz help.

Connaught
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Connaught »

haveing not read what everyone else posted, i know an Aussie fella that came over and had to do ALL the exams, however his time in the industry was accepted , he had to have letters and documents to prove everything was legit, but after sitting his exams he got the license

also military experience doesn't count for time towards you license, from my experience it may count as 'time in industry' (same as 5 years in component shop lets say) however you will still need your category specific time ie 12 months on M2 aircraft

Return to “Maintenance”