Maintenance Engineers

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ramp_rat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Maintenance Engineers

Post by ramp_rat »

roncoldlake wrote:Trans Canada turbines Ardrie Ab just outside of Calgary.
I did some contract work there and have had friends end
Up working there full time. Gas turbine work. Check out the web site
http://www.tcturbines.com/default.aspx?cid=26&lang=1
Cheers.
This company did mention about RB211 overhaul, what industrial company or what machine other the B757 uses RB211 engines? I just didn't realize that there is a company like this other than aviation.
By the way, here is my contribution for alternative in aviation http://www.mcdonalds.ca/en/careers/index.aspx :P
---------- ADS -----------

DrBoeing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrBoeing »

ramp_rat wrote:
roncoldlake wrote:Trans Canada turbines Ardrie Ab just outside of Calgary.
I did some contract work there and have had friends end
Up working there full time. Gas turbine work. Check out the web site
http://www.tcturbines.com/default.aspx?cid=26&lang=1
Cheers.
This company did mention about RB211 overhaul, what industrial company or what machine other the B757 uses RB211 engines? I just didn't realize that there is a company like this other than aviation.
By the way, here is my contribution for alternative in aviation http://www.mcdonalds.ca/en/careers/index.aspx :P
Turbines are used for a number of different applications, i.e electrical generation, pneumatics, pumping, etc etc

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

inrespone to wilderness air north lookn for a ame/dom they have also lost there ops mgr to africa and cp to airbravo in the last 5weeks both good folks . they previously were on the tc watch list after significant findings at an audit.

the ops mgr and cp installed in july and oct2010 corrected the findings and got it cleaned up kudos to them however it would seem that the accoutable exec has created a stressful workplace where compromises are being hammmered into the ops guys at the expense of quality. when your licenses are on the line just asy no.

to sum up 2cp and an 2 dom and 1 ops mgr in 16 months spells trouble

Zip Tie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Zip Tie »

If I had my time back I would have punch a few more people in the mouth who f@cked me over when I was a young apprentice and mech.The worst I dealt with were Northern operators.I maintained,fueled,oiled and cleaned the aircraft.It was not fun at all.They get away with a lot on the safety side of things because Transport can not truly keep an eye on them.
The common culture was that if you had a tendency to hold the aircraft for safety reasons you were a marked man be it Pilot or AME.Maybe not now but 6 months from now they would get rid of you.At that time in Labrador it was common for a bush plane to go into the rhubarb every year or 2.It created a lot of alcoholics and killed a lot of young pilots.Nobody can challenge that because I was there and I witnessed it first hand.They now have SMS........yes police officer I will let you know when I am speeding.WTF?? This is a cop out by TC.

In the end I was lucky to get on with a major airline and my career went well from then on and I slept better.

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

Zip Tie wrote:If I had my time back I would have punch a few more people in the mouth who f@cked me over when I was a young apprentice and mech.The worst I dealt with were Northern operators.I maintained,fueled,oiled and cleaned the aircraft.It was not fun at all.They get away with a lot on the safety side of things because Transport can not truly keep an eye on them.
The common culture was that if you had a tendency to hold the aircraft for safety reasons you were a marked man be it Pilot or AME.Maybe not now but 6 months from now they would get rid of you.At that time in Labrador it was common for a bush plane to go into the rhubarb every year or 2.It created a lot of alcoholics and killed a lot of young pilots.Nobody can challenge that because I was there and I witnessed it first hand.They now have SMS........yes police officer I will let you know when I am speeding.WTF?? This is a cop out by TC.

In the end I was lucky to get on with a major airline and my career went well from then on and I slept better.
+1 Nice post! I know from experience that what you are saying is truth. These are the same people who come on here and advertise for "team players" (ie: no back bone or independant thought) and berate those of us who "don't have the right attitude" (dare to stand up for safety or expect to be treated and paid with dignity and respect)

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

+2

I've come to find over the years the actions I regret the least are usually the ones my gut tells me to do.

To hell with being diplomatic(weak).

veteran30
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by veteran30 »

PJ1 wrote:
wildernessnorthair wrote:Hey folks. I'm the chief pilot of Wilderness North Air. We operate a C185, a DHC2, 3 DHC3T and soon to be other equipment and a fleet of Air Tractor 802 aircraft including both the Fuel Boss and Fire Boss. If a put out a job opening on AvCanada for a pilot I will get dozens of qualified responces due to the downturn in the economy. However, if I place a job opening for an AME on AvCanada, there is no responce at all!

Is there that few AME's out there looking for work? Or is is that few engineers follow AvCanada?

Thanks

wrench safely!
M1/M2 A320/757/767 endorsed licenced for over 10 years. I no longer earn my living as a AME. I am not the only one. The pay is the shits.
Sorry

ryan_berringer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ryan_berringer »

Yes I am looking for work. I am living Thunder Bay and I cannot find employment. I would be willing to start and work anytime and this would be perfect for me. I am an M1 licensed AME with over 5 years experience. If your interested or you want a resume you can contact me at (705) 943-5922.

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by conehead »

ryan_berringer wrote:Yes I am looking for work. I am living Thunder Bay and I cannot find employment. I would be willing to start and work anytime and this would be perfect for me. I am an M1 licensed AME with over 5 years experience. If your interested or you want a resume you can contact me at (705) 943-5922.
Ryan; "Alkan Air" is looking for an M1 AME in Whitehorse. In this industry (like many others) you may have to relocate to find work. Anyway, the ad is in the "jobs" section of this forum. Good luck!

Alberta_Canada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alberta_Canada »

Wow, this thread is a real eye opener for anyone considering becoming an AME. I was enrolled to be an AME at SAIT back in 2004 but after talking to several people I decided to go a different route instead and withdrew. Now, I'm a licensed automotive technician and I just find it crazy that it pays more to work at an auto dealership maintaining cars than it does working on aircraft. It just shouldn't be that way. I work 8-5 mon-fri and only 1 Saturday/month and to think that the only way I would make similar would be night shifts in a remote location and on call anytime is just crazy. I really hope things can change for you guys as many of you sure deserve a lot more.

Girl17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Girl17 »

As a pilot, I'm more comfortable flying in an airplane that was repaired by someone who knows his place. That tells me he/she's not living in a delusional world, and they understand that that a mechanic is exactly what they are. Its disappointing to see rational diagnosis and smart decision making get overrun by arrogance and glory chasing. Not to mention respect for the equipment. Some companies' airplanes often appear to break themselves. On the first flight after the inspection.

If you walk into a room of 50 people, how can you tell the mechanic?.... roll a donut across the hangar floor and listen for the wrench hitting the floor.

*edit*

I posted this in order to deliberately infuriate a poster who calls himself "Dash 27", and who posted the exact same thing as above, except about pilots who dislike being called "drivers".

I have received a personal message from an engineer who politely asked me for an apology, and I am editing this and apologizing. This post was a parody, unlike the post made by "Dash 27" which is clearly how he feels about pilots. I am sorry for insulting engineers; I didn't mean it.

Last edited by Girl17 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Girl17 wrote:As a pilot, I'm more comfortable flying in an airplane that was repaired by someone who knows his place
Obviously, you are in the wrong place.
Girl17 wrote:they understand that that a mechanic is exactly what they are
It's called engineer, take your clap trap to a car mechanic then.
Girl17 wrote:If you walk into a room of 50 people, how can you tell the mechanic?.
If you walk into a room of 50 people, how can you tell WHICH ONE is a pilot?.....They will tell you!
Girl17 wrote:I encourage engineers everywhere to strive for better conditions.
Conditions aren't that bad, we just like to complain.

torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

As a pilot, I'm more comfortable flying in an airplane that was repaired by someone who knows his place. That tells me he/she's not living in a delusional world, and they understand that that a mechanic is exactly what they are. Its disappointing to see rational diagnosis and smart decision making get overrun by arrogance and glory chasing. Not to mention respect for the equipment. Some companies' airplanes often appear to break themselves. On the first flight after the inspection.
WOW! What a self promoting load of BS!

If this truly is the poster's attitude towards AME's and maintenance, no wonder their crap breaks. I think it is best said that respect gets respect. If you have an axe to grind with someone, then do it in person and don't paint with such a wide brush!

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by conehead »

Girl17 wrote:As a pilot, I'm more comfortable flying in an airplane that was repaired by someone who knows his place. That tells me he/she's not living in a delusional world, and they understand that that a mechanic is exactly what they are. Its disappointing to see rational diagnosis and smart decision making get overrun by arrogance and glory chasing. Not to mention respect for the equipment. Some companies' airplanes often appear to break themselves. On the first flight after the inspection.

If you walk into a room of 50 people, how can you tell the mechanic?.... roll a donut across the hangar floor and listen for the wrench hitting the floor.
What a dick.

Schimunga
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Schimunga »

"If you walk into a room of 50 people, how can you tell the mechanic?.... roll a donut across the hangar floor and listen for the wrench hitting the floor."

Donuts, I'm past that. It's all about the danish. If it's cherry, that FCU can wait.

SAENG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SAENG »

Hi Guys,

I am brand new on this forum. I am a South African AME with 20 years experience on everything from 150 to 747. I am licensed on B200, B1900, E120, E145, and ATR42, plus a bunch of piston stuff. I did all my training at Hunting Airmotive Zimbabwe. I was part of building the first factory approved PT6 overhaul shop in Africa. I believe Hunting also had operations in Canada.

I am just about to do major checks on 3 Canadian registered large turboprops that are being flown to SA for the work to be done.

With my country falling apart due to corruption and incompetence of government, I was hoping to find work with the aforesaid Canadian operator when the job is done and the aircraft go back home.

I have joined this forum specifically to get a feel for the business in Canada. This is quite an eye-opener! Am I wasting my time with this plan to move to Canada? It seems pretty depressing out there.

My license is the equivalent of your M2. Any advice or suggestions are most welcome.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

SAENG,
Your plan isn't impossible, but certainly unlikely to be quick, easy or simple to enact. If you look through the threads in this section from the last year or so, you can find some good posts on what would be required to have your qualifications evaluated and to obtain a canadian AME licence based on them. Immigration requirements are a whole other ball of wax. Having the cooperation of a canadian company interested in employing you from the start would likely smooth the process somewhat.
Best of luck!

Aeroman38
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aeroman38 »

Anyone know of anyone looking for an experienced engineer fluent in English, in the lower mainland of British Columbia? Ive got 15yrs looking for 4 months..I'm either to qualified or not qualified enough. I'm willing to learn, I'm dedicated and ready to grow..I would even travel. But I'm not selling my house..ive got paint prep, body work experience from Cessna to dash 8. Ive got a ton of mechanical experience as well.. Ive worked on piston and turbine.hell I'm even willing to pay for a course out of pocket. But there seems to be nobody out there looking for M1.. Unless you move to Ontario or Montreal.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

SAENG PM sent

Badfarmer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Badfarmer »

Alberta_Canada wrote:Wow, this thread is a real eye opener for anyone considering becoming an AME. I was enrolled to be an AME at SAIT back in 2004 but after talking to several people I decided to go a different route instead and withdrew. Now, I'm a licensed automotive technician and I just find it crazy that it pays more to work at an auto dealership maintaining cars than it does working on aircraft. It just shouldn't be that way. I work 8-5 mon-fri and only 1 Saturday/month and to think that the only way I would make similar would be night shifts in a remote location and on call anytime is just crazy. I really hope things can change for you guys as many of you sure deserve a lot more.
Well its been quite a while since ive visited, and I see that not much has changed.
Ive been at this game since 1992 and the pay still sucks (well it did until I left aviation for a real job).
the problem is that company owners expect SO much from their employees - I finally had enough when my last aviation employer demanded OT due to a pilot induced hard landing (23 LONG days straight I hardly got compensated for).
I got into a non aviation QC/QA position and now I have weekends off and am no longer tied to my phone all for what I used to get paid half ($35/hr) for.
And now if OT is required, it is asked who would help out, and here is the benefit ____________ (fill in the blank).

Even in the private operator world where the owner of an aircraft complains about paying $100/ hr shop rate.
Im glad to say those days are behind me; my wife and kids now have an extra person to do things with, no more night shifts, no more demands on my free time, no more refusals for time off.... :)

Return to “Maintenance”