Any advice for a Noob?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

polishdude20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Any advice for a Noob?

Post by polishdude20 »

SO I'm in grade 11 now going to NWSS (high school) here in New West and I am planning now to go to BCIT for the AME category M training. But I'm getting worried and all about how I will get a job after BCIT. Can anyone give some advice? and dont tell me to find another proffesion before it's too late cause I decided Aircraft are what I want to be fixing my whole life, nothing more nothing less and nothing else. Also any graduates of BCIT or student attending now have any advice or experiences they can share with me about BCIT, getting a job, living on what you have?
---------- ADS -----------

billy ray valintine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Any advice for a Noob?

Post by billy ray valintine »

polishdude20 wrote:SO I'm in grade 11 now going to NWSS (high school) here in New West and I am planning now to go to BCIT for the AME category M training. But I'm getting worried and all about how I will get a job after BCIT. Can anyone give some advice? and dont tell me to find another proffesion before it's too late cause I decided Aircraft are what I want to be fixing my whole life, nothing more nothing less and nothing else. Also any graduates of BCIT or student attending now have any advice or experiences they can share with me about BCIT, getting a job, living on what you have?

well then.....right this way,it's good to have you aboard.
anything you need,you just ask.
were here to make you as comfortable as possible.
welcome to the land of candy and all things sweet. :goodman:

brv

hella_bright
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hella_bright »

Holy crap... Mark my words, you will regret your decision in 5 years time. Maybe sooner.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Well if you have your mind made up, then i kindly ask you reconsider the school you have picked to get your education. There are better schools that turn out a better product. Try Dawson Creek. In a few years you will look back and re evaluate your career choice. Usually happens after you get married for the third time and think of wanting to have children.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
polishdude20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by polishdude20 »

well then why do people go to aviation in the first place? and also I feel trapped in now that I have picked most of my courses in highschool and stuff. and I honestl don't know what else to do. also it can't be THAT bad! I mean seriously?

billy ray valintine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by billy ray valintine »

polishdude20 wrote:well then why do people go to aviation in the first place? and also I feel trapped in now that I have picked most of my courses in highschool and stuff. and I honestl don't know what else to do. also it can't be THAT bad! I mean seriously?

look junior,.........aviation was a lot different back in the day when we all got into it.
it was actually pretty cool.
over the years, it has become a cancer among industries.
do some home work,read,and don't listen to these college instructor throw backs of
aviation.{they just want your dad's money!}
you want layoffs?, how about bankruptcies? how about shit hole operations that make
you sign out their junk!
be smart and focus you "talents" in the other trades....like plumber,electrician,computer?
get an automotive mechanic's license and then you will be able to print you own money.
get it?

brv

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

I don't get it...you say you know about the job situation in this business, but you won't be told to consider another trade because you've made your mind up???

What the hell is it that want to hear???

Best career choice EVAR!! You wont know what to buy first,a house or new BMW...

I can't believe this sort of question is still being asked.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
jetsetfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetsetfly »

Dont b suprised to wait for a year till you get a job after finishing BCIT (by the way its not eazy allot of reading and hairloss will occur) and then once you finally get a job be prepared to be layed off and sit at home and then decide to go back to school i myself having worked for two years in this industry sees no future in it and one day employers will cry for workers because they treating us like shit rite now with shitty wages but yeh my advice look into something else am also goin bk to school to pursue another career gdluck to u

polishdude20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by polishdude20 »

so you guys are saying that Automotive mechanic is much better? cause i can do that! and I have an interest in it too.

acidgambit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acidgambit »

PolishDude. I am a grad from BCIT. I took the AME M course.

Good for you for thinking of fixing airplanes as a career. For the current situation that the aviation industry is in. I will tell you to pursue something else. If you do want to fix airplanes for the rest of your life, ask these questions to yourself---->
1. Am I ready to relocate to another place to pursue my career? (and sometimes you'll have to relocate to crappy places)
2. Am I willing to deal with layoffs? (yea, there is a lot of layoffs in this industry)
3. Am I ready to deal with company politics? (Man..these management people just bug you all the time with layoff threats and bullcrap rumours....well...depending on what company you're working for.) Not all of them are like that.
4. Am I a person who will miss his/her family very much if i'm gone for too long?
5. Are you single? (oh boy..if you ain't single, your gf is gonna always be asking you..."when are you coming home?")
6. Is your family going to be supportive? (if you're family isn't going to be.....you gonna have a bad relationship with them..and they'll be pissed at you for sure)
7. What am I in this industry for? (Are you doing this cause you "love" to be around planes?) (Or are you in for the money?)

And no...you don't get rich off of fixing airplanes. You'll only get rich if you do contract work overseas, and to do contract work overseas 99 percent you'll need to get your AME license first. Cause these companies likely won't hire apprentices.
But hey, you'll live a decent life that's for sure.

There are lots of other stuff that you can do. But every industry have their own pros and cons, and maybe aviation just has more cons. So choose carefully.

My situation and experience is---->
Graduated from BCIT in December of 08. Sat at home till Feb of 09. Got hired by a major airline in March. Moved out of BC to Winnipeg, MB to start my job. Have been with this airline ever since till now. Currently, they are laying off. (You see...after 1 year in this industry...i am getting laid off. There is the reality.) I have found a job in Thompson, MB in a small airline and i am going to move up there soon to start my second job. Not too much negative comments about this company and i hope they live up to their words. Fingers crossed. Do i want to go to Thompson??......No. But i have to because i want to get that piece of plastic card on my hands asap.
I had 11 classmates in BCIT. After April this year. I will be the only 1 left in this aviation industry. Some of them just never got into it. Some of them found jobs but got laid off. Some of them realized the reality after working in the industry...quitted and moved on. Me?? well maybe i'm just crazy. Time will tell. Sad eh? hehe

I consider myself one of they lucky newbies in this industry. A lot of people had worse.
If you're a person that "goes with the flow" and don't really complain too much. There you go......go fix airplanes.

Good luck to you.

There are other stuff that i can tell you too. But i'm not going to write it up here. Any questions...just PM me. Have a good day.

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

Here are some facts. You can have a carrer in aviation. I have been in it for more than 20 years, NEVER layed off. Made $100,000/ year the last 10 years. Heres a start, NO one is going to pay you for sitting on your arse. You will get hired for your skills (Diploma from an ATO) and you will be fired (or layed off) for your attitude. If you are in Grade 11 you have a long way to go until you find out what the "real world" is like. No one is going to give you the free ride that you had in high school. You now are expected to be accountable for yourself. These sites are full of negative nellies who do nothing more than bitch and complain about the industry, I say QUIT, move on make room for someone who wants the job. As for Automotives, what are you going to do when you complete your 4th year? I know, work at Canadian Tire, Wal- mart or a dealership. What can you expect when you finish your fourth year of AME training, depends on where you work. You have the oportunity to work airline, helicopter, international, go north, third party maintenance, small AMO, large AMO, etc. The world is your oyster, and finally, go somewhere other than the BCIT puppy mill.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Yup, heard nothing but bad things about BCIT.

The problem with most AMEs is they don't see past the airlines or heavy third-party MROs. These jobs are bad and going to get worse despite what anybody says about an AME shortage.

Airline jobs (where you actually work on the airline's aircraft, like WJ or AC) are highly coveted because they offer job security, passes, and usually fairly good renumeration. But you are going to be working graveyards for the rest of your life. If you are in third-party (whether as part of an airline MRO or independent one), your job is going to be sold to a guy down in Brazil who can do the same job for far less money. A few ten-thousand to reposition a jet is nothing compared to the savings on a million-dollar heavy check...

Go north, go rotary, or go M1 fixed wing. I did the later and am I enjoying being an AME again, still with my first wife. :smt040

If it was just about the money, we'd all be in the oil patch...

Last edited by iflyforpie on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
tiggermoth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tiggermoth »

In my opinion, if you have decided that you really want to be an AME, then just do it. Maybe it isn't the best paying job in the world, maybe there is a lot of sacrifices (home life being a major one), but it can be rewarding. There is quite often a load of BS that must be sorted through before you see the rewarding part, but that is normal in most ANY trade, in varying degrees. If you truly want to do this, and enjoy being around aircraft, you can make it work just fine and still enjoy it. The best part you have going for you is that you are still young!! You can start right away before you get to settled in any place with wife and kids, and then once you are ready to start settling down in one place, you will have enough experience under your belt to be able to find that job you want. As already stated though, you will never be rich as an AME, but I am comfortable enough, and so are my wife and kids.

Here is another thing, there is a lot of people leaving this industry due to either retirement, or they have just had enough. By the time you are finished you schooling, the economy will probably be back up, and there will most likely be more jobs available.

Also, someone else mentioned to forget BCIT and go to NLC in Dawson Creek. Do it. NLC is by far a better course according to EVERYONE I have talked to. Plus, getting up further north and living in a smaller town will prepare you a bit for when you get out working in the industry, because small northern towns are where you will end up at some point.

Thats my 2 cents. If you want to do it, then don't let anyone stop you.

I am a graduate of NLC, been doing aircarft maintencace for 10 years, and still enjoying it. By the way, I have done the bush and travelling work. Now I am home every night with my family.

Tigger

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

still with my first wife.
Ah absence makes the heart grow fonder.......

First and only wife........(she who reads my posts and knows me knows what I mean)

Ah..... back to the post.

You could always have a career with GM..... Saturn/Pontiac/Hummer/Oldsmobile mechanic......

Or Mercury........

Yep there's a future right there (course I drive two of the above.....)

Regardless: don't let anything stand in your way. If this (I mean aviation) is what you want to do ...

Just do it.

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

Awe:come-on you guys. Give this guy a break. He's got his heart set on aviation.

Let me put a positive spin on this; the way aviation is going; with all the good people leaving. By the time he graduates; he'll be able to start as "crewchief, Director of Maintenance, or maybe even CEO".

BH

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

What can you expect when you finish your fourth year of AME training, depends on where you work. You have the oportunity to work airline, helicopter, international, go north, third party maintenance, small AMO, large AMO, etc. The world is your oyster,
Bullshit.

I challenged you and a few others recently to ante up with this lucky charms list of all of your supposed great opportunity companies, and NOTHING was ever replied.

NAME THE COMPANIES. NAME THE COMPANIES WHO OFFER THE WORLD TO NEWB AME'S, OR ANY AME. DESCRIBE THE HOURS YOU WORKED, THE PLACES YOU WORKED TO EARN THIS "100g" A YEAR.

did'nt you mention you are on the training side of this biz? I guess you're very interested in keeping a steady flow of warm bodies coming in, huh?

Negative nellies?? you ever stop and give any thought as to WHY there is so much negativity from AME's?? not so much, huh? You seem to be just wishing for everyone to disappear who has had negative(the majority) experiences in this industry.

Good luck, buddy, it ain't happening, as way too many know what really goes on.

polishdude20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by polishdude20 »

wow I didnt know this topic was gonna score this much hits and valid opinions. But Now I understand how important it is for me to have a backup! Right now when I think of it, NOT working on airplanes wouldn't be SO bad either. And Theres plenty other things I like than aircraft. Like cars, engineering, mechanics, computers, alot of stuff. SO i'm going to keep my options open and make my decision when the time comes. But the good thing about NOT becoming and AME for me personally Is that first the BCIT campus ad the other north place you guys where saying are pretty far from my house. BCIT being an hour away though but still. Also The other BCIT campus (not aerospace) is perfectly close to my house and also I thnk a 4 year bachelors course is more stable and rewarding for me.

I also think that I can use my brain in a better way than fixing planes which there are many people doing now so why need me?

SO thanks for the responses and I will keep a lookout for other career paths and hopefully make the right choice after I graduate

rotorhead350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorhead350 »

Pat Richard wrote:
What can you expect when you finish your fourth year of AME training, depends on where you work. You have the oportunity to work airline, helicopter, international, go north, third party maintenance, small AMO, large AMO, etc. The world is your oyster,
Bullshit.

I challenged you and a few others recently to ante up with this lucky charms list of all of your supposed great opportunity companies, and NOTHING was ever replied.

NAME THE COMPANIES. NAME THE COMPANIES WHO OFFER THE WORLD TO NEWB AME'S, OR ANY AME. DESCRIBE THE HOURS YOU WORKED, THE PLACES YOU WORKED TO EARN THIS "100g" A YEAR.

did'nt you mention you are on the training side of this biz? I guess you're very interested in keeping a steady flow of warm bodies coming in, huh?

Negative nellies?? you ever stop and give any thought as to WHY there is so much negativity from AME's?? not so much, huh? You seem to be just wishing for everyone to disappear who has had negative(the majority) experiences in this industry.

Hmmmmmm! Bristow, CHC, ADA are the ones i've dealt with. Working a rotation that gives me 4-6 months a year off for $100000/year. I've got absolutely no complaints with my career in this industry.

rh350

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

rotorhead350 wrote:
Pat Richard wrote:
Bullshit.

Hmmmmmm! Bristow, CHC, ADA are the ones i've dealt with. Working a rotation that gives me 4-6 months a year off for $100000/year. I've got absolutely no complaints with my career in this industry.

rh350
Do you have a wife and kids?

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

A not so shot in the dark, I d say NO.

So is that the pot o gold for ame's?? Go overseas? How about making 100g in canada?? Isn't that what most are desiring? Very few find going overseas a long term option, and even fewer will actually find opportunities that will take them there. Fact is, it ain't commonplace for ame's to go overseas, main reason being the lifestyle. most dont wanna be single forever.

So why don't you work in Canada 350?? chc wont give you that much to be in canada working half the year? Why did you go overseas? u living in a guarded compound??

The industry in canada is a mostly a joke, THATS why most anyone considers going overseas, regardless of either risk, or lifestyle issues.

Anyway, I'll leave it at this. To all the newbs coming on here asking questions, just remember one thing.
The MAJORITY of posts concerning AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE on this site are negative, period, and this site has the most traffic of any Canadian related site..
So just ask yourself what would incline so many different people to voice negativity on one subject??
Where's the website, with the same kind of traffic, that the pro aviation maintenance majority hangs at? Does one exist?? :lol

Im being sarcastic, there isn't one.

This site is the pulse of most AME's in CANADA.

It's as simple as that.

Return to “Maintenance”