Future AME Discouraged

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Future AME Discouraged

Post by NeverBlue »

Skills are not transferrable
???????????????????????

...electrons flow differently in aviation electronics????

:shock:
---------- ADS -----------

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

Piston engines work differently as well. Composites cure differently and are laid up differently. Brakes are different, as is the whole brake system. Bolts, screws, nuts and washers, totally different. Turbine engines in pumping stations, no similarity to aircraft engines at all!!!??. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dash 27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dash 27 »

by skills r not transferrable, I mean we are not a recognized "TRADE" in Canada. We have to start from scratch if we want to change careers. ie. education, apprenticeship hours etc...

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

there are tonnes of jobs out there that aren't considered "TRADES"

...transportation, communication, manufacturing, power generation.

a few years ago there was a mass exodus of avionics techs going to public transit...they certainly didn't have to start all over...some went right out of AME basic training schools with no education in public transit at all.

I'm not sure what connection you're making between recognized trades and transferrable skills.

If you can maintain aircraft communication systems you can maintain pretty much any communication system with minimal training.
If you can maintain aircraft navigation systems you can maintain any navigation systems with minimal training.
If you can maintain aircraft cabin entertainment systems.....

If you can maintain aircraft gas turbine engines you can maintain any gas turbine engine in other industries.

If you can maintain electric motors and generators on aircraft...guess what?

anyone can fix cars and trucks and boats and busses and trains and golf carts and motorcycles and scooters and radios and cell phones and computers and alarm systems etc...you don't HAVE to be licensed for any of them.

The Weasel
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by The Weasel »

Yes, it is not a recognized trade because an AME licence doesn't allow you to carry out the work: it's an inspection and certification licence. It is unfortunately a bit of a middle area gray zone (not a trade and not a degree), however, for those willing to pursue it, the inspection and certification aspect can be used to your advantage outside of aviation (ie: transferable) in particular if you're wanting to go the auditing/quality/QA route.

There are some organizations working on getting AME apprentices recognized as a trade, and there are some government and other programs (and likely varies province to province) that provide some financial/tax/training credits in that respect. Some people say that getting the AME industry away from the inspection/certification licence and more towards a trade would drive down wages and dilute quality (think of large MROs having shops full of half-trained ACAs/SCAs to do the work but only a handful of licenced AMEs to sign the books at the end).

While AME skills might not be directly transferable, having the mechanical and troubleshooting background is a general skill transferable to many industries. If you know how to troubleshoot and fix stuff, you can do more than just aviation. The world is full of stuff that needs fixing and maintaining day-to-day.

At the end of the day, being an AME isn't for everyone and it has it's pros and cons.

brownbear
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brownbear »

Oddly though I have a "Journeyman" card from both Ontario and Manitoba and provincially they see it as a trade. And that is from the 90's.

I did an apprentice program from Stevenson though. So they track you the same as the general trades. I had to report progress all the way through. Different than a college grad who the provinces don't even look at.

Don't be disgruntled....move on!
wair
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wair »

Well it can't be that bad - I'v been in the industry for over 30 years - still employed and mostly still enjoy it. - I am a DOM and looking for a mid term apprentice
warren@halcyon.aero

starheli
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by starheli »

It's all what you want it to be!
Telling people you are an aircraft engineer is something you can say with honor and spark a conversation, not just "I'm a plumber, I unplug people's S**t" or "I work in the oil patch, I dog f**k all day, make a pile of cash but have no care or honor in my job"
You are going to get guys completely sugar coating it and saying it is the best thing in the world (they are just too high on life or unrealistic) and you are going to have the grumpy losers telling you there's no hope and it is the worst thing ever, don't do it (they are probably just ticked off because they couldn't make it past a spot on the ladder or just made bad choices)
I have never tried the fixed wing side of it (just never had the interest, helicopters was what I wanted) so this is strictly coming from fling wing perspective. I have friends out there that make plenty of money and live great happy lives and I have friends out there that can't stand it and just live in depression over it. I myself came into it with a passion and desire to work with helicopters and worked my a** off with ridiculous days, shifts that turned from hours into days and just bit the bullet of low pay as an apprentice and just had one passion and it was helicopters. Ever hour I worked I had a smile on my face (unless I couldn't figure something out lol) and enjoyed it. Days flew by, years just felt like days but all because I had a passion for it and loved what I did. 6.5 years later I find myself still with the same company as the director of maintenance, only 26 years old, beautiful girlfriend of 4 years, new company truck and just bought my dream hobby farm last summer. Yea, my phone can ring at any hour of the day and my monday to friday 8-5 job can be greatly extended but I barely need an alarm to get up because I enjoy my career and I feel and know I am part of something important and make a difference everyday at work. Everyday has new challenges, I can take time off when I need it or want it, I make plenty of money (in helicopters, the more they fly, the more you get paid...my weekends I have off and the helicopters are flying, I am at home getting paid for every hour they fly) to live a happy life and I still love it. It is a 24/7 commitment but I use to be a farmer as a child/teenager and it is no different, except instead of cows we have helicopters but when you want to leave, you can simply lock the doors and walk away.
A problem with this industry is it's structure. A lot of companies are cheap and pay terrible wages because they are trying to bring costs down to have lower rates for the customer. This leads to unsatisfied employees that cause a stir and down talk the industry. There are a lot of guys out there that will say don't do it, it is the worst thing ever etc etc and you look at these guys and see they are still doing it....just look above, not sure if these guys are actually still in it but they are on an aviation forum talking about this industry. You would think if it was so bad and horrible for them they wouldn't be involved and to be honest I wish they would leave the industry, there is no need for those guys. We need more young blood in here and more numbers so we can draw more attention to this industry and get the right people involved. Company rates need to be standardized or regulated so we can increase wages and pay good benefits to get quality workers; for heavens sake a general helicopter shop rate is around $90/hour...it costs more to get your damn car fixed than a helicopter!!! Poor attitude leads to poor workmanship and a negative company atmosphere.
This topic can spark an endless forum of needing to increase rates and wages and etc etc but that's not why we are here. I will be honest with you, if you don't have the passion for it or interest and just want a "job" (just over broke) I do not suggest it. Aviation is a cruel mistress! If you have a passion and true desire, come join us with the mentality of moving ahead and making a difference and get into the right place, if you are somewhere and do not like it, try something else or a different company. There are a lot of different operators out there doing different work and you need to find what you enjoy! If you are happy standing on an assembly line doing the same task over and over , do it but don't expect top pay benefits. If you want to get out there and work your ass off and go non-stop, do it, but cover your ass and make sure you earn what you are worth. I can tell you that the possibility to live a great life and make lots of money is there, but you need to want it and earn it and then you won't have a job but a career. This industry needs hard working people with initiative to move forward and rid of the grumpy pricks that drag us down. If there is a better attitude throughout the entire industry, then maybe, just maybe, that can climb the ladder up to management we can start to work forward on bettering it as a whole.
I, myself, wouldn't give it up for anything. I treat my helicopters like my kids and have grown a close relationship with them...I know that sounds weird but it is truly a lifestyle and it grows on you, making you feel important and needed. You will never stop learning and it is challenging and will test you.
Again, this is all spoken from a helicopter stand point where you are responsible for the aircraft as a whole, not one simple task you perform over and over. Either way, when you talk to people in the industry, whether they complain or preach, you will find a common ground and that is they are hooked. Even if they whine and complain, why are they still here? They have the option to leave and don't because they need it. I grows on you and becomes a part of you. Be prepared for a life changing experience and only you have the power to make it a good one!

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

WOW!

Way to set everything and everybody straight!

:prayer:

And you're just 26!

WOW!

FOR HONOR AND GLORY!! CHHHAAAAAARRRGGE!!!

:lol:

Thanks, I needed that. Funny read.

helotech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by helotech »

I spent 20 years in the Air Force and got paid to go to school, never had to pay for a tool, got plenty of good training, travelled the world (including Afghanistan) and lots of room for promotion if you worked hard. I never regretted a minute of it and retired at 40 with an immediate pension. I have been an AME for almost 10 years now and still love it. The Military is not for everyone but it worked for me.

Ellas
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ellas »

hello im currently in my first year of collage and i have a few questions regarding the aviation industry. i heard when you become an ame your able to get endorsements/ type courses. is that true? also how do i get on once i finish school?

thank you

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

You sure pick a discouraging thread to post your questions in!
Here are a couple better threads related to your questions to read for a start:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=94776
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=94535
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=87119
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=92196

There is a lot of negativity expressed on this website regarding the industry. Some of it is valid; much of it is overblown or purely situational in nature. In my humble opinion, your experience will end up being exactly of the quality that you make it to be.

IMTWOTTER
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IMTWOTTER »

Don't waste your money on BCIT (worst apprentices 10 yrs and counting) or this industry. If you like aviation, stay out of the industry. The reality is you'll be much happier wondering and imagining what you're missing out on.

It's on the way out... Thank corporate companies and TC. And keep in mind, there is no red seal with this trade, and skills are not transferable when you do realize you have bills to pay and want to get out. (I learned that one 8 yrs too late)

Cheers!!

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

I wanted to pass along the following information, which I found discouraging, but informative. I left the industry in 2013 after 25 years as a M1/M2 license including the last 15+ years at a major airline. I was at the top of the pay scale with multiple type endorsements, etc. I have a friend who is a ticketed heavy duty mechanic. He is relocating to southern Manitoba, and just got a job with Freightliner in Steinbach. His STARTING pay is equal to what I made at the end of my aviation career.

blackbird_007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by blackbird_007 »

@BMLTech.
Some had told me trucks in Canada never dies even in economic crisis. Drive near the Brampton area and you will see almost 65% of the road traffics are trucks related. Trucks deliver essential day to day supplies whereas airplanes deliver luxury supplies to cities and communities (this is different if you live in Yellowknife). You rarely see cuts in truck fleets but they will try extend the life of trucks by performing more preventive maintenance on the trucks they already had during bad economic times.

Airplanes mechanics got more fame but truck mechanics got more appreciation in reality.

conehead
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by conehead »

But... but... trucks aren't as cool as aircraft. :)

Nightair
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nightair »

Try never to go or do something already pre disposed on the negative. Things change after two years of school. After 25 years in this business there certainly is one thing apparent and that is "It never Changes". It is a job that has incredible highs and lows. You really need to be able to pick yourself up when knocked down (laid off). Canada is a big place don't focus your opportunities on one city,or one place there are great places to see and there are nice people as well as those that will burn you. Bosses who are great and bosses who wring every drop of sweat and energy from you.
Aviation is a sickness in that it keeps pulling you back but keep going and listen and learn to the people who can teach you the tips and tricks.
This job has payed ( they payed) for me to travel to Australia, Europe, Africa and drink every one of those countries beers. It has led me to the Arctic and taught me not just about planes or helicopters but also about fixing cars, Herman Nelson, washing mashines, plumbing, and most importantly cultures.

motox415
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by motox415 »

Well said!

Angusnofangus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Angusnofangus »

I have spent over 35 years in aviation, 10 in the military and 25+ as a tin-basher. There were good times and crap times, but I've always loved the work. And I think that is the crux. Aviation to me hasn't been just a job, but a labour of love. No doubt I could have made more money somewhere else, but I've hated every non-aviation job that I've ever had. I feel that I've been very fortunate to work in a field that I have a passion for. I know lots of guys for whom aviation is just a job, and I feel a little sorry for them. Thanks to aviation I have seen a whole lot more of the world than I would of as ,say, a heavy-duty mechanic. Would have made a pile more money as said heavy-duty mechanic, but money isn't everything. Anyway, that's my two-bits worth.

helidougg8111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by helidougg8111 »

well, after 15 years in aviation, fixed wing and heli, i can say i have a pretty bleak outlook on the industry.

go get an education and get a real job!

Return to “Maintenance”