Future AME Discouraged

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Future AME Discouraged

Post by Pat Richard »

" Any people they get to enroll in a Vo-Tech in hopes of learning a trade and getting a job in an industry that is laying off by the thousands, aren't going to be the best or the brightest
That is pretty much what I have been saying for some time now - we are seeing less and less quality experienced people staying in this industry and more mediocrity hanging in, from Canada and abroad. It also explains a lot of the poor quality of many of the newbs coming out school.

:roll:
---------- ADS -----------

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
McJagger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by McJagger »

and yet I haven't noticed an increase in accidents due to maintenance.. the pilots still seem to be the weakest link..

maybe, pat richard, being an AME just isn't as hard as your ego has led you to believe.

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

Oh I think its safe to say, stuff happens more than anyone wants to admit to and that goes for both groups.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

and yet I haven't noticed an increase in accidents due to maintenance.. the pilots still seem to be the weakest link..

maybe, pat richard, being an AME just isn't as hard as your ego has led you to believe.

I was going to ask if you are even an AME, but the reality is you can be whoever you want on the internet so there wouldn't be any real value to your reply.

Sounds like you are waiting for a smoking hole in the ground before you acknowledge what most everyone else is already aware of. If you think everything is being done efficently, and 100% as per regs/ MM's thesedays, you're on drugs. We are effing lucky nothing has hit the ground, yet.

How exactly is my ego bullshitting me about what I have experienced/witnessed in my years as an AME? I sound off on here about wanting freaking wage parity/work conditions/lifestyles that most plumbers and auto mechanics have, and you suggest Im being egotistical?
Are you implying our job is easier/less demanding than those above mentioned, or are you just trying to be a dick?

Im thinking the latter, as I think the other scenario is a joke, but perhaps for some reason you eagerly anticipate the continuing dumbing down of this trade.
If you sincerely do, I can only deduce that you are involved in management and foresee short term financial gains in employing shitty people for shitty wages, in shitty conditions.

Otherwise ,I don't see what direction you could possibly be coming from.

http://mindflipbooks.ca/
bombardierfixer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bombardierfixer »

+1 for dickatude. go back to playing farmville...

DBA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DBA »

MjrPainless wrote:Hey every one, ive been reading the posts about the job situation and how AMEs are treated in canada.

Im going to be attending BCIT in sept for the AME E/B2 shortly, but from what ive been reading its not that great of an idea. Is that so with the specialized groups as well. And i've read that the course from bcit gives you credit for the UK i belive. Are the conditions any better over there?

Ive already tried going the automotive technician route, but found that to be not what i was interested in, does anyone have any input on the similiarites, or differences?

Any information would be great...I just feel that there is giant gray cloud over this entire trade in this country, and frankly its putting my off slightly.
HA! I'm starting to look the other way for the simple fact that I can NOT find an apprentice job anywhere. At all. Very, very frustrating.

gnightingale
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by gnightingale »

Hi,

AME Discouraged:

Don't be. (Discouraged) You can make a difference, just have a spine and remember that you might have to tell your boss to get fucked once in awhile. Or be prepared to resign. He'll buckle under, and a few years later you will have his job, but I don't reccomend that. Better off keeping under the radar and with an E licence can make a good living.

I have an M2 and have seen lots of the world...........but now divorced.....so has it"s down side...........or upside..........you have to decide.....

I have to ask..............why is BCIT teaching B2 licence?

c170b53
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by c170b53 »

Aviation; its an adult version of the snakes and ladders game; you never know when taking the next step whether you'll end up starting all over.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

I've been in the business since 1996. Licensed M1 since 2000, M2 since 2005. Started in my first job at $8.25 / hour, now making $70K / year. This industry has been good to me. Sure it hasn't always been fun. I've had to work graveyard shift. Sometimes the job is stressful. I had to put in time working low ($15.00 / hr as a M1 licensed engineer) wages, but like one of the other posters said, you generally get paid what you're worth. I know a guy in Ontario who is such an avionics whiz, his company pays him $85.00 / hour. They make nothing on his labour, but he is so valuable to his company and keeps the customers coming back that it's profitable to them to pay him so much. Stick with a company long enough for the management to see your skills and you will become an asset to them. Too many guys in this industry job hop and I think in the long run it really hurts them.

Specializing in component overhaul or avionics or some other discipline, really makes you worth more. If you're prepared to learn, not just turning wrenches, but learn the CAR's, for goodness sakes your company's MPM or MCM, management will take notice. This is how you work your way into QC, QA or PRM positions. Be prepared to make sacrifices too. Not everything can be measured in terms of dollars. I recently worked a Director of Maintenance position for free just for the the experience and got a flight training unit and an AMO up and running!

Everybody starts somewhere in this industry. Most likely it won't be glamorous. If you are good at what you do and it shows, there's only one way to go but up. If you're an apprentice, I agree that it's tough to find a job, but if you have to put out 1000 resumes before you get a job offer from the outfit Yellow Knife, the Pas or some other less than desireable place to live, get your foot in the door and prove to someone you can actually maintain an aircraft. Going to tech school and incurring a buch of debt to do it, doesn't entitle you a high paying job. You have to prove yourself before you're handed the big paycheque. Be honest with yourself about how much you're really worth. Not how much you believe your self to be worth, but how much value you bring to a company.

If you're jealous of other trades pay, then maybe you should go get re-trained. I know construction workers who work outside in our Canadian winters. I always have worked in (relatively warm and dry) hangers. I know plumbers who have to routinely remove masses of used tampons, fermented and rotting food, feces, small dead animals and other things in thier daily duties. I've never had to do that on an airplane or helicopter.

This is a good industry that offers a lot of possibilities to talented people. Work hard and keep learning and you will go far.

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

robertw wrote:Be prepared to make sacrifices too. Not everything can be measured in terms of dollars. I recently worked a Director of Maintenance position for free just for the the experience
There you go kids...

With enough sacrifice and hard work then maybe, just maybe, one day you too can be a volunteer DOM

Dare to dream...

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

Stumper wrote: There you go kids...

With enough sacrifice and hard work then maybe, just maybe, one day you too can be a volunteer DOM

Dare to dream...
Sarcastic coments do nothing to help the conversation. You've completely ignored the point.

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

robertw wrote:
Stumper wrote: There you go kids...

Dare to dream...
Sarcastic coments do nothing to help the conversation. You've completely ignored the point.
Sarcasm???

Hey, I'm right with you on this. I've felt for years that what we really need to turn this profession around is more qualified AME's willing to work for nothing.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

Stumper wrote: Sarcasm???

Hey, I'm right with you on this. I've felt for years that what we really need to turn this profession around is more qualified AME's willing to work for nothing.
I've felt for years that what we really need to turn this industry around is for more qualified AME's to lose negative attitudes like this. Its depressing working with someone who has nothing positive to say.

billy ray valintine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by billy ray valintine »

robertw wrote:I've been in the business since 1996. Licensed M1 since 2000, M2 since 2005. Started in my first job at $8.25 / hour, now making $70K / year. This industry has been good to me. Sure it hasn't always been fun. I've had to work graveyard shift. Sometimes the job is stressful. I had to put in time working low ($15.00 / hr as a M1 licensed engineer) wages, but like one of the other posters said, you generally get paid what you're worth. I know a guy in Ontario who is such an avionics whiz, his company pays him $85.00 / hour. They make nothing on his labour, but he is so valuable to his company and keeps the customers coming back that it's profitable to them to pay him so much. Stick with a company long enough for the management to see your skills and you will become an asset to them. Too many guys in this industry job hop and I think in the long run it really hurts them.

Specializing in component overhaul or avionics or some other discipline, really makes you worth more. If you're prepared to learn, not just turning wrenches, but learn the CAR's, for goodness sakes your company's MPM or MCM, management will take notice. This is how you work your way into QC, QA or PRM positions. Be prepared to make sacrifices too. Not everything can be measured in terms of dollars. I recently worked a Director of Maintenance position for free just for the the experience and got a flight training unit and an AMO up and running!

Everybody starts somewhere in this industry. Most likely it won't be glamorous. If you are good at what you do and it shows, there's only one way to go but up. If you're an apprentice, I agree that it's tough to find a job, but if you have to put out 1000 resumes before you get a job offer from the outfit Yellow Knife, the Pas or some other less than desireable place to live, get your foot in the door and prove to someone you can actually maintain an aircraft. Going to tech school and incurring a buch of debt to do it, doesn't entitle you a high paying job. You have to prove yourself before you're handed the big paycheque. Be honest with yourself about how much you're really worth. Not how much you believe your self to be worth, but how much value you bring to a company.

If you're jealous of other trades pay, then maybe you should go get re-trained. I know construction workers who work outside in our Canadian winters. I always have worked in (relatively warm and dry) hangers. I know plumbers who have to routinely remove masses of used tampons, fermented and rotting food, feces, small dead animals and other things in thier daily duties. I've never had to do that on an airplane or helicopter.

This is a good industry that offers a lot of possibilities to talented people. Work hard and keep learning and you will go far.

wow !
first of all, if you are making 70k/yr , as the pilot ,AME, RRM, Director of Maintenance,and candle stick maker,the first thing i would do is fire that avionic's guy that makes 176,800.00
per year and take his job.(85 dollars per hour x 2080 hrs per year = 176,800.00).
you seem to ask a lot of questions that a PRM should already know,giving the fact you have studied your companies MCM and MPM and CAR'S as stated in other posts.
ignorance is no excuse of the law!,and it sounds to me like some laws could in jeopardy here.
sounds to me like some convincing owner promised you the moon and stars and your not going to let him down. :smt026
no shortage of that in aviation,but inexperience is becoming the norm.

brv

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

robertw wrote: I've felt for years that what we really need to turn this industry around is for more qualified AME's to lose negative attitudes like this. Its depressing working with someone who has nothing positive to say.
You know what; You are absolutely right.

How could I have missed it when it has been right in front of me the whole time. If we can all just stay positive and work for free whenever the opportunity arises then things are bound to change for the better...

You sir have just made your first convert.

Apologies for the earlier sarcasm.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

If you dislike this industry, there is a very simple solution. Get out. Obviously since you regard the pay as garbage, the expectations as unreasonable, and the glory of the job negligible, why are you still here? Get out and get re-trained in some other discipline that you will enjoy so you don't take any more years off your life due to the stress and frustration.

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

robertw wrote:If you dislike this industry, there is a very simple solution. Get out. Obviously since you regard the pay as garbage, the expectations as unreasonable, and the glory of the job negligible, why are you still here? Get out and get re-trained in some other discipline that you will enjoy so you don't take any more years off your life due to the stress and frustration.
Oh my God...

You're in love with me.

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by robertw »

Wish I could give you a great big hug.

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

robertw wrote:Wish I could give you a great big hug.

Schimunga
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Schimunga »

Where is the third amigo? I see Stumpy and BRV making the usual "how sh*tty the industry is" comment here but where is Pat?

So Stumpy, why are you in this industry if the pay is so bad? Have you tried to do something else and failed at it or just lacking the confidence to try?

Return to “Maintenance”