Which AME course to do

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SubtleOne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Which AME course to do

Post by SubtleOne »

Well I am new to writing anything in this forum but I have followed this one being curious as to its outcome and what people are saying about training today.

Unfortunately the “trolls” as someone put it did find their way into this thread.

The bickering between NB, PR, jsmetal….and Stumper is typical on this type of subject but it’s easy to figure out the theme of their posts if you read closely and follow their history of posts throughout this site.
Forgive me all but I still don’t see the problem with anyone giving positive feedback to someone that has seemingly made up their mind as to what they want to take after high school. ( as the originator of this thread has, I think, if you read his/her question)

The majority of posters on this thread did say good things and that they have had both good and bad experiences. This I believe to be true as with every industry people will succeed and people will fail. Some will like what they do and some won’t. Some do it for money and some for the money and for the fact that they enjoy it. And really, some hate everybody and everything about it.

I still haven’t seen any post that NB wrote saying that the industry was “all roses”. I’ve only seen him/her comment on their personal experience. I don’t think there is any reason to doubt it, it seems genuine. But when someone attacks them for just being positive and then attacks their opinions for really just being theirs, it’s easy to make choices on who to take seriously and who to believe.

If someone has taken the time to join and attend Air Cadets then that person probably has some sort of passion concerning aviation. Why should anyone try to change that? I wish I had a passion for something when I was young. Encouraging passion is how the world was built. It’s how man has developed as we have. It’s why we can fly!

Now for the quotes,
Want worse news? Governments are allowing work to be sent abroad.

-Unfortunately this is not confined to aviation so don’t think that getting into another field will change that.
If you are looking at a Monday to Friday 9 to 5 lifestyle then I would look at another career choice.
-There are lots of jobs in aviation that don’t include night shift.
Oh yeah, Im writing this from beautiful 04:52 am grave yard shift.
Greatly rewarding, yeah, thats it..
I guess I need to set my expectations lower.

-Writing in a forum during their shift promoting a book that shoots the industry down in which he/she is currently making a living. The irony here is hysterical.
Realize that aviation often like the market, sees and feels the economic slow downs first.

-The only comment I have on this one is “I beg your pardon sir?”
Stay away from schools that do both at the same time...this is not a good model

-Maybe not in your opinion but there have been great people come out of there
Ok, i know its your opinion but i have never heard someone say that BCIT produces the best apprentices...ever. I went to BCIT

-Again, irony, hysterical
I have met many great graduates from Canadore, SAIT, NAIT and BCIT and would recommend any of those schools.

-Need I say more?
Anyways, you may not want to hear this NeverBlue but i have made a good living at this, i work a week on week off schedule and i get wicked benefits and ok pay, and i'm good. So bite me.

- I’m not sure what his/her point is as that’s what I think NB was saying as well
You're obviously at the intelligence level expected of a bcit instructor you fucking retard.

-Not sure who he’s actually calling this name but completely inappropriate and insensitive to everyone viewing this thread.
I was purely motivated by financial gain, not potential erections due to aircraft contact.
-Now some may not get a “boner” every time they touch an airplane, but some might and I’d rather have the guy with the boner working on my aircraft…metaphorically speaking of course.
" I've gone to school but I can't get a job no one will hire me boo hoo... I've been waiting by the phone but it won't ring.. Boo Hoo Hoo
..welcome to the real world

- This one makes you look like an ass. It’s reality but not very funny as unemployment in this country climbs closer to 10%

I’ve been in aviation many years. Ups and downs, of course there are but any industry will have their share. The passionate ones usually stick it out and succeed as a result.

Good Luck crazygood150. God Speed
---------- ADS -----------

jsmetalbashers
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jsmetalbashers »

Why am i a bad guy for not endorsing the school i went to? Its my experience, am i not allowed to say it? I dont want to get into my history around aviation and that i had an excellent role model in my father, and growing up at the hangar and being enthusiastic about aircraft is why i succeeded. I will never and have never recommended BCIT, i was not happy with the course. The original poster was asking which course and school we recommended and i gave my opinion.
I dont spew bull shit on here and when i say be prepared to get treated like poop, i mean it. I was verbally and physically abused when i was a young apprentice. I worked with some extreme assholes, in a company that bred them. However at the end of the day it worked out for me and i got thru the crap and i'm in a good place working for a great company. When people ask me if i recommend being an AME i dont tell them not to, but i only recommend it to people that have a passion for aircraft. Outside of that i havent met too many AME's that are happy with there career choice.
Remember what the OP was asking? And i do still recommend doing Avionics of the 3 AME courses. Have a wonderful day Avcanaders :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SubtleOne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SubtleOne »

Sorry jsmetal..., Maybe I should have clarified.
Anyways, you may not want to hear this NeverBlue but i have made a good living at this, i work a week on week off schedule and i get wicked benefits and ok pay, and i'm good.
I will never and have never recommended BCIT, i was not happy with the course.

However at the end of the day it worked out for me and i got thru the crap and i'm in a good place working for a great company.
As I understand it you have succeeded but refuse to give any credit to you basic training provider.

I am just pointing out the irony in your posts. Nothing more. Your opinion is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

Keep posting. You are providing an invaluable service in my opinion.

Cheers Mate

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

Pat Richard wrote:Gee, you don't think its possible that tuition has risen since you were in school 12 years ago? 20G is bang on for what it will cost someone to get through a school right now. :shock:

The helicopter thing again.... so why is it that fling wing can't attract any talent? In a recession? I don't get it, because I know you're going to say how wonderful it is. Where are all the guys that got laid off a few years back? Nobody wanted to comeback and be around the magical machines? It doesn't make sense that they can't find people if everything so awesome.

As for blue balls, I don't care if your whole family tree has certain problems, doesn't make you any less of one.
"christmas money" meaning "go away to palm trees and not work until march". It was a top up to the financial plan, not an alternative to food stamps. But whatever, believe what you want.

To the noobs, again, just like Stumper says, do some reading(buy "my" book), ask yourself some questions(why is there such a problem in finding people for such a great industry).

If you still feel it's worth 20-30G, go nuts. At least your parents will be able to brag their kid is a aerospace engineer.

I actually heard that before... :lol:
Typical useless post. Your not BANG ON in fact your not even close.

Tuition $20000?? Sait is around 12000. OC/NLC is around 11000. Get real chicken little. I know where you can get a job as an apprentice making 35000 to 45000 per year.

Go do some homework before you spout off your nonsense.

FL290
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL290 »

212wrench, while all schools may not be near the 20k mark; some are. Tuition for the AME-M program with NSCC in Dartmouth is $12000 PER year! :o

I went through that program 2008-2010 and while we were lucky enough to have a 3k tuition reduction in the second year; it was still really pricey. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I wish I had done more research on other schools in the country before making my choice.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Canadore tuition fees as posted:
http://www.canadorec.on.ca/admissions/fees

Centenial tuition fees:
http://www.centennialcollege.ca/tuitionfees

SAIT tuition fees:
http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/academi ... .shtml#A-B

College of the North Atlantic tuition fees: seems to be the cheapest
http://www.cna.nl.ca/registration/fees-charges.asp#2

Dartmouth College Tuition: Seems to be way out of wack with everybody else...not sure why but FL290 is right! Wow
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~finaid/fao/coa/

Mohawk College tuition fees:
http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Assets/Regi ... 2-fees.pdf

Fanshawe tuition fees:
http://www.fanshawec.ca/sites/default/f ... dian11.pdf

as you can see...they're all well below $20,000 for two year Maintenance and Avionics programs...except Dartmouth for soom reason
All provinces will have different subsidies per student.

Most tuition costs are about 1/3 of the actual cost and 2/3 is kicked in by the Provincial and Federal governments.

International students are normally required to pay the full cost as they are not subsidised by the Canadian Governments.

...sorry for my imature behaviour earlier
I don't "fight" very well as I am not used to it.

see ya

PS: Pat please don't quote me incorrectly. This is what I wrote.
but really you can't include the costs of living into the costs of going to school. If you didn't go to school you would still have to live...and that costs no matter what.
...not this
"You can't factor in the cost of living when going to school." ????
Like I said, everybody bears the cost of living no matter if you're in school or not. Tuition is always on top of living costs and that changes everywhere you go...

FL290
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL290 »

NeverBlue,

You linked to the wrong college... that one is down in New Hampshire somewhere... :lol:

Here is the list for NSCC tuition and yes, it is much more expensive.

http://nscc.ca/admissions/cost_and_fina ... fault.aspx

The program must not be subsidized. :x

Seeing that list makes me pretty upset considering what we had to pay for school here... and we don't really graduate with anything more.

rubberboot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rubberboot »

NeverBlue wrote:Like I said, everybody bears the cost of living no matter if you're in school or not. Tuition is always on top of living costs and that changes everywhere you go...
Crazygood150 - everyone has an opinion about what to include into the true cost of schooling. My advice to you, as you are most likely to continue with this as a career path, is to budget at least $20,000 dollars for the 2 years. Doesn't matter how much the tuition is, as long as on top of it, you can get the money to survive - part time, full time, grants, loans, or mom and dad. If you do not include the incidentals like housing, clothing, transportation, beer fund, etc., you are going to find yourself in a bind. the Tuition is the minor part of the problem - living on a reduced (part time salary) is the biggest issue you will have. If you manage to complete your schooling for under that amount, great - you can take a vacation somewhere. Just remember that student loans need to be repaid, with interest.

Good luck,

Respectfully,
r/b

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Well said...I guess that's the way we should have said it in the beginning.

Just so you know, right now it costs me around $40,000 per year to live...and I don't pay any tuition... :(

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

NeverBlue wrote:Canadore tuition fees as posted:
http://www.canadorec.on.ca/admissions/fees

Centenial tuition fees:
http://www.centennialcollege.ca/tuitionfees

SAIT tuition fees:
http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/academi ... .shtml#A-B

College of the North Atlantic tuition fees: seems to be the cheapest
http://www.cna.nl.ca/registration/fees-charges.asp#2

Dartmouth College Tuition: Seems to be way out of wack with everybody else...not sure why but FL290 is right! Wow
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~finaid/fao/coa/

Mohawk College tuition fees:
http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/Assets/Regi ... 2-fees.pdf

Fanshawe tuition fees:
http://www.fanshawec.ca/sites/default/f ... dian11.pdf

as you can see...they're all well below $20,000 for two year Maintenance and Avionics programs...except Dartmouth for soom reason
All provinces will have different subsidies per student.

Most tuition costs are about 1/3 of the actual cost and 2/3 is kicked in by the Provincial and Federal governments.

International students are normally required to pay the full cost as they are not subsidised by the Canadian Governments.

...sorry for my imature behaviour earlier
I don't "fight" very well as I am not used to it.

see ya

PS: Pat please don't quote me incorrectly. This is what I wrote.
but really you can't include the costs of living into the costs of going to school. If you didn't go to school you would still have to live...and that costs no matter what.
...not this
"You can't factor in the cost of living when going to school." ????
Like I said, everybody bears the cost of living no matter if you're in school or not. Tuition is always on top of living costs and that changes everywhere you go...
You missed one
http://www.nlc.bc.ca/Admissions/TuitionFees.aspx

Thats $6200 total.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

rubberboot wrote:
NeverBlue wrote:Like I said, everybody bears the cost of living no matter if you're in school or not. Tuition is always on top of living costs and that changes everywhere you go...
Crazygood150 - everyone has an opinion about what to include into the true cost of schooling. My advice to you, as you are most likely to continue with this as a career path, is to budget at least $20,000 dollars for the 2 years. Doesn't matter how much the tuition is, as long as on top of it, you can get the money to survive - part time, full time, grants, loans, or mom and dad. If you do not include the incidentals like housing, clothing, transportation, beer fund, etc., you are going to find yourself in a bind. the Tuition is the minor part of the problem - living on a reduced (part time salary) is the biggest issue you will have. If you manage to complete your schooling for under that amount, great - you can take a vacation somewhere. Just remember that student loans need to be repaid, with interest.

Good luck,

Respectfully,
r/b
Typical useless post. Your not BANG ON in fact your not even close.

Tuition $20000?? Sait is around 12000. OC/NLC is around 11000. Get real chicken little. I know where you can get a job as an apprentice making 35000 to 45000 per year.

Go do some homework before you spout off your nonsense.

Don't see a comeback from you here, 212, except for a lame plug for the school you instruct for.

Like I, and others have said, 20G+ to get into this circus, and yeah, thats factoring in living expenses. The only other time a person would up and move to another location would be for work to get paid, so it's ludicrous to compare going to school as "having to live anyway so you cant count it". Not a direct quote, but that is what's being suggested.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

...apples 'n oranges

OK... name me a cheaper profession or trade to get into...or cheaper course that gives you the same pay when you graduate.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Im sorry, I forgot to mention that the trade pays almost a 100G a year if you are none licensed, and goes up from there if you are. Most guys are making 140-160 a year as ticketed journeymen, with 200 easily possible with o/t.
Should also mention, that for ft mac, they are paying in the neighborhood of 1200 a month accommodation pay and 300ish for boots/safety gear.
So yeah, it does work out to be "cheaper", not to mention the guaranteed placement post graduation.

How about you offer up a deal in aviation that matches the above numbers that is in Canada?

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

Seems to be a lot of insulting going on in this thread. Another useful thread derailed. This will be locked until I have move time to go through the post.
Bandaid

Return to “Maintenance”