Registed Apprenticeship Programs

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Registed Apprenticeship Programs

Post by plhought »

Howdy,

Just inquiring if anyone's found any registered apprenticeship type deals offered by government, specifically for Alberta.

In BC, the ITA (Industry Training Authority) with the TransCDA (Transportation Career Development Assoc.) offer some registered programs for employers and apprentice's...Gives the employer some tax breaks and the apprentice as well in addition to other stuff etc etc.

I'm in Alberta here, and looking for something equivalent for AME Apprentices. The Alberta Government's Apprentice and Industry Training (http://www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca) website details some programs but does not list any aviation related trade under it's registered trades programs.

So is it a case as Alberta doesn't offer anything like the BC ITA does? Or is there some programs available but under a industry group or something?

Just trying to help the employer out a bit, you know, make it more worth their while to give us measly apprentices a chance :wink: .
---------- ADS -----------

TheBigC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Registed Apprenticeship Programs

Post by TheBigC »

We had one in Ontario until our entire class got it and they decided that our apprenticeships weren't valed anymore ... I still don't get how were not a red seal trade either. Makes no sense to me at all man.

heliwrench
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by heliwrench »

The only TC accepted Apprenticeship course is run through Red River College Stevenson Campus in Manitoba. All you have to do is get a job as an apprentice and call the registar to sign up for schooling. Four nine week trips to school with EI payed while your there and your done with only CAR's to write.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Already done the schooling, got the job, only got the CARs exam in a couple years. Just looking for an equivalent to something like this:

http://www.tcda.ca/programs/aircraft-ma ... gistration

So I went to school to BC, and did all the training at the front-end, with the ITA and the College as the "sponsor".
If I would have stayed in BC, the "apprenticeship" could have transferred to the employer; however, I went back to Alberta.

If I would have stayed in BC I would have been eligible for these juicy benefits: http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/individuals/in ... credit.htm. Every little bit helps.

But alas, nothing really available I guess to us gung-ho, hick, oil-sands lovin', fuel-burning Albertans *bang bang* Yee haw. :roll:

If I spend >500 bucks on a Gym membership I get a tax credit, but spend time and decent money to get trained and bring some monies into the economy and I get SFA. Whatev's life aint fair ;P

flingwinger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flingwinger »

No you would not be eligible for anything even if you stayed in BC. ITA does not recognize AME apprentices - which is ridiculous. Currently they are airing a TV commercial which flaunts tax breaks and benefits for entering the trades, they show AME's at work 3 different times in the short commercial. They took $7500 from me last year as I tried to claim the apprenticeship program a few years before.

bigbert
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigbert »

Yah BC ITA does recognize AME apprentices, unless my certificate of completion is a counterfeit.

Return to “Maintenance”