Info On Work Outside of Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Zip Tie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Info On Work Outside of Canada

Post by Zip Tie »

I decided to create a new topic here because honestly the two hot topics on here are a little depressing.Who out there knows what is available for contract work outside of Canada? Africa?,Caribean,Australia?,UAE? let us know! Chances are you will make more money outside than in Canada.Keep it positive! What are the conditions and pay?

And no I don't want to have this moved to the employment section of this forum.Thanks admin.
---------- ADS -----------

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Info On Work Outside of Canada

Post by pika »

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Don't pay any attention to the sticky'd topics, they're full of complaining and misinformation by a minor cross section of disgruntled engineers. Ten years on now for me and it seems that there are lots of opportunities at home and abroad. Don't expect big pay in the Caribbean, there is a sunshine tax.

Zip Tie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Zip Tie »

So Heliian are you working in Canada now or outside?

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Pay attention to the sticky'd topics, they're full of information by the majority cross section of experienced engineers.

On the pipe again, huh Ian? Aren't you with Expedition in Ontario?
Heliian wrote:Expedition Helicopters based in Cochrane, ON is seeking qualified helicopter engineers with AS350/LTS101 and/or Bell 206 series endorsements.

Pay depending on years licensed and number of type ratings. Mostly bush work with a 3 or 4 week rotation. Flight pay, per diem(when not in camp) and bush pay on top of daily. No relocation required at the current time.

If you or anyone you know is looking for employment, PM me for further details.

Thanks,

I
Bit of a curiosity, why isn't Expedition Helicopters posting want ads in the employment section with the appropriate company/HR contact links and info? Your name also doesn't come up here http://www.expeditionhelicopters.com/contact.html as any sort of contact.
Does your company know you post ads on this forum with regards to them, or do you do it on your own initiative? Strange they wouldn't post a legitimate ad like any other company, and Im pretty sure they're free unless you want sticky.

http://www.verticalmag.com/forums/can/i ... ge__st__10 has some interesting comments about your world, starting with you asking why experienced guys are so hard to attract in the helicopter biz. That was back in Feb 2011.

ziptie

For overseas postings try aviationjobsearch or pprune. Flight International also used to have good international listings and agency contacts. Most of the info can however be found on the two sites I mentioned.
The biggest issue will be non recognition of the canadian license by EASA countries. I think Oz was the only country recognizing it, and you will otherwise only find overseas contracts wanting EASA or A&P, unless its a canadian company operating canadian equipment. Without license recognition, the jobs posted as "fitters" are what generally would apply.

Most guys I know usually end up overseas through a canadian company.

Last edited by Pat Richard on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fling Wing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fling Wing »

If you're a rotary guy, maybe check out afgan, some guys like it, some guys don't, but either way the money seems to be really really good.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Thanks for reminding me about the ad pat. I've moved on and now removed the ad. Like I said, experienced guys are hard to find, if you've got a licence, you're golden. You'll see on verticalmag the tons of jobs out there and a quick google will bring up lots of other sites around the planet with job postings, you could even use a job hunting firm or placement agency.

And yes dick, i'm piping in again, a decade in now and I still love my job and am being paid well. There is tons of work overseas in the oil and gas industry and exploration right now too. Where do you want to go today?

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Like I said, experienced guys are hard to find, if you've got a licence, you're golden. You'll see on verticalmag the tons of jobs out there and a quick google will bring up lots of other sites around the planet with job postings, you could even use a job hunting firm or placement agency.
I already mentioned(several times) there's jobs out there, but I can't seem to get an answer from types like you why you can't get anybody if everything is so fantastic. What conclusion did you come to after your thread on vertical mag as to why there is such poor (your statement)response to heli job ads?

The fact that you've moved doesn't surprise me as most heli guys I know rarely last more than year at most companies, for whatever reason. Not a critique, just an observation.

So, like Zip Tie asked, are you in Canada, or overseas? Maybe you could give him/her some specifics since you seem to be well informed about overseas heli operations.

Have nice day, Ian.

Pat "The Dick" Richard

bananaskins
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bananaskins »

I could shed some light on working overseas if you can be more specific as to what your basic parameters are. I've been doing it for over 30 years now and apart from about 3 years with Air NZ, I've been pretty much Africa-Middle East-Asia. Twin Otters to 747s.

I've worked alongside helicopter ops. on several jobs over the years. In fact I keep bumping into Canadian Helicopter pilots and engineers I've worked with since the late 70s. So I'd give them call if that's your sorta gig. Abu Dhabi's got a good sized helicopter operation. Money's not great, I understand, but it's not a bad place. Kind of expensive nowadays but everything you might want or need can be found there. Colombia Helicopters always had a few 47s in Central Africa back in the 80s. I've no idea whats become of them now though.

I've spent a good deal of time in Afghanistan and Iraq the last few years and I can't say I'd recommend it. Both my hotels in Kabul were bombed by a couple of those suicide fellows. But still I recommend it over Iraq. They are such a bunch of assholes. You can get anything downtown Kabul. Vodka-Beer etc etc.

The Russians have scooped the majority of UN helicopter contracts throughout most of their ops lately, unfortunately...well depends how you look at it.That sort of work isn't for everyone. Let me know if you want any details of anywhere in particular and I'll see if I know anything.

Coincidentally, I'm on my way back to Canada after all this time.

Zip Tie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Zip Tie »

I would like to have work in the Caribbean,Australia,Europe but not middle east or Africa.I have all fixed wing airline experience.I have many endorcements prop and jet.Have 28 years in.My kids have one foot out the door and Wife and I looking to go somewhere safe.I'm guessing that there is not much out there like that.
Not into getting bombed unless I do it myself with a bottle of rum.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Not sure exactly what types you have, but JD Aero has had dash work come up in nicer places from time to time, so does Provincial out of the Maritimes. JD was generally contract, not so much Provincial, but they did have an ongoing thing in Trinidad I believe. They're seemed to be a steady turnover at that one though so Im not sure what the issues were/are.

I know Bombardier's MRT division was hot for guys last summer, and it was all over the globe, but I don't know what the rates were, and it was through Aerotek.
With regards to UAE, I did have interest about a year ago for turboprop work, but they were offering slightly less than the agencies here, which was surprising to say the least. I was told they are really trying to limit foreign workers coming in, but at the same time don't have any other real alternatives. Wait and see what develops there.

Other than that, in canada, there is demand in the north, but there always is, lol.

LesterLester
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LesterLester »

I have 2 endorsements, one being dash 8. I keep looking and seeing hiring out there but not having any luck. Phone isn't ringing.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Do you know anyone from your 28 yrs of work who went overseas? My first job overseas was from an add in Flight International but since then its been through people you meet doing the same thing.

I dont know the airline side of this work but after a few years on the smaller turbo prop you realize how small this world is. Especially the -8 guys (not me but know lots). One guy summed it up by stating if you do this long enough you see your own butt going around the corner ahead of you.

Keep trying, there is work there and and the experience of doing it is very rewarding, and the people you meet, usually of many nationalities, is a big plus.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Zip Tie,
You can also "cold call" potential employers without using an agency if you have the travel time. I've done that and been successful...killed two birds with one stone and checked the locations out at the same time a decided whether they were right for me or not...safe...available amenities...etc.

Depending on where you're looking...sticking with the big operators is not always the best way to go

If pay is an issue you can sometimes trade "fringe benefits" for pay. I was lucky enough to have my room and board covered as well as have my hours reduced for a reasonable salary and I was very happy with that.

I learned a lot, met really good people and made lifelong friends.

And yes dick, i'm piping in again, a decade in now and I still love my job and am being paid well.
...so it's not just me huh?....whew...

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

...I also obtained my EASA licnese through BCIT in Vancouver.

...just wrote the required exams(paid the money of course) and now hold a B2.

I think BCIT is the only place in North America that does this but am not entirely sure. When I was there there was someone from Texas that flew all the way to just try the exams.

I don't know about B1 but I found the B2 exams relatively simple...except the Human Factors and the Legislation which were difficult but not impossible.

Return to “Maintenance”