Encore AME jobs

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Islandmech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Encore AME jobs

Post by Islandmech »

Just a heads up for the folks out there, Westjet Encore has posted AME jobs at Encore on the Westjet website. Not sure of location or wages. I will post furthur if I find out.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

motox415
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Encore AME jobs

Post by motox415 »

$21.00 - $24.00 hr for an endorsed AME.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Starting wage for a 20 something or for a guy who has been in the industry for the last 25yrs??

motox415
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by motox415 »

I would assume $21.00 for a 20 something and $24.00 for the 25 year experienced AME.

Islandmech
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Islandmech »

Wages have not been published as yet... if they are THAT low then I suspect there will be very few prospects applying.

When nobody signs up, then they are going to have to reconsider, or use existing Westjet guys {making a lot more than than $20/hr}

Cheers

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

motox415 wrote:$21.00 - $24.00 hr for an endorsed AME.
Theres not an endorsed AME working for that wage anywhere in Canada. At least I hope not.

ForesterAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ForesterAME »

The unfortunate part is that they will find people willing to work for that wage. Because there's always those out there willing to work for less just to be near a plane. Sad!

ameguy721
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ameguy721 »

The salary range is $21.81-$24.57. Plus 7% for an ACA. 2 year commitment.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

:shock:

What a f*%#?!g joke.

Those are unskilled labour pay scales.

The 2 year commitment is to working a second job, which would probably also pay better.

Race to the bottom just picked up some pace.

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Until the actual facts come out, I would suspect the two year commitment is if they send you on a type course for the Q400 to get an ACA, they want to know you wont bail on them and take your new found knowledge to lets say Air Canada or Porter. I know call it a bond, blackmail or whatever, but it is understandable and I can see their point. The wage is low and depending on where you live, it might not be sustainable. They will have a hard time attracting good experienced AME's. Only way to send a message is to refuse to apply and work for the offered wage.

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

working a second job
Westjet has "strict" policies regarding AME's with second jobs. If you have been let go or quit because of a second job I'd love hear from more of you (listening to just one does not make for a good statistical study....).

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

I talked to one of their people on the 21st to feel it out and as of then she said the ACA premium was undecided until a board meeting next week, and didn't know what a training bond was even. It wouldn't surprise me though if it was a flat 7% ACA premium though as that would mean that the final wage is roughly 90% of a Jazz mid-payscale for ACA engineer. Or around $26-27 and they are banking on the profit sharing and the promise of an immediate Q400 course being enough to lure people in. The Jazz non-certifying scale caps just above $24 as well but what made up for that while waiting for a course was the 7 on 7off lifestyle and at least at Jazz there is the potential for a higher pay scale eventually while at Encore it is hard to say whether you would have to choose between going to mainline after a few years or always being on a B pay scale. Undetermined shift schedule as well which for anyone with a family is important to know in advance.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

they are banking on the profit sharing and the promise of an immediate Q400 course being enough to lure people in.
I figured that's what their angle is, anything but pay a decent wage. Too bad none of it counts for much when asking the bank for a mortgage.

I honestly don't know how anybody with an ACA could work for that kind of money. Even $30 a/hr is borderline shit money for signing out a mid size commercial aircraft.
I know guys driving water trucks for that kind of money, but they dont get to fondle airplanes everyday, so not a fair comparison.

Unfortunately, like mentioned further up, they will attract dummies willing to work for those wages, although i hope they get what they are paying for.

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

$27/hr plus profit sharing doesn't seem that bad for someone with limited experience (3 - 5 years)

...especially if you're currently on unemployment.

I'm sure they'll find some but the good ones with lots of experience will be hard to get at that wage.

Sounds to me like they have a "type" they're looking for in mind.

seamus
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seamus »

There's very little mystery about the way these people are going about hiring their future employees. They simply figured what the lowest wage bracket is and now they're trying to fill the spots at that pay level. More likely than not they'll find enough people too. Why offer 35$/hour when people will take the job at 25$ ??? Not to mention the fact salary pool has to be shared with various other modern-day aviation parasites such as the now ubiquitous HR personnel... They too have to justify their own existence by coming up with all kinds of f...ed up salary tiers thus further degrading the value of our trade.

I've recently witnessed an interesting situation where an employer offered a group of potential engineers a salary package that was far below the going market rate for that particular job. Every last one of those engrs. told the HR crowd to shove it and stop wasting their time. Suddenly the salary offer jumped up about 35% and people were back at the table talking again. Now, this particular job doesn't pay as good as it used but their previous pay scale was simply way to high and they found that people will work for far less and still be happy with it. Thru it all they simply figured out what the new 'low' limit is and that became the new pay standard. Simple economics - that's all.

As long as people continue to trickle into those Encore-type jobs, one by one, hat in hand and willing to eat shit, even if only for few months their HR dept. will know that it is possible to fill all position at 21$ given enough time. Somebody out there always needs a job bad enough to take it, you can't stop it from happening. As individuals we're much easier to break down - until a proper representation is not afforded to all as a group various operators will simply continue to take advantage of the current situation.
Just when I think I heard the lowest going rate for an AME a new 'low' appears on the horizon, sad state of things indeed.

Cheers

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

Does anyone know what a starting wage for a new AME hire
is at AirCanada?

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

Pat Richard wrote:Race to the bottom just picked up some pace.
WestJet is listed as one of Canada's top 100 places to work,and they factored in remuneration (of which WJ was rated "very good") among other categories. Also notice WJ is one of the few non governmental employers on thye list as well as the only airline. Winnipeg airport authority and bombardier are the only other two aviation related employers on the list.

http://www.canadastop100.com/national/
WestJet's financial benefits are rated as very good. To keep salaries competitive the company participates in outside salary surveys every 12 months. Individual salaries are reviewed every 12 months. In addition to competitive compensation, employee can also take advantage of share-purchase plan for all employees; profit-sharing plan for all employees; signing bonuses for some employees; life & disability insurance; retirement planning assistance; year-end bonuses for some employees; and vendor discounts for employees. Employees also receive discounted airfare anywhere WestJet flies. Employees can take advantage of standby travel discounts, 50% discounts on up to eight pre-booked flights each year, discounts on interairline travel, and share up to eight "buddy passes" with friends and family each year. The company's generous matching share purchase contribution are part of the formal "Employee Share Purchase Plan". The voluntary program lets employees receive up to 20% of their gross regular earnings in WestJet shares with a 100% company match.
seamus wrote: Why offer 35$/hour when people will take the job at 25$ ???
Full-time employees in Canada: 5,806. New jobs created in Canada last year: 332. Part-time employees in Canada: 2,777. Number of applications received at this location last year: 63,000
63 000 people going after 332 jobs, this in the richest country in the world. I guess it's not as terrible as you made yourself believe it is.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Westjet ames just got a pay increase which is much better than the encore numbers, so i can understand if they are content. Try running the same survey at encore in ayears time and see if the same holds true.

Seamus - +1

Hey dashx- about the second job thing....ive seen a wj guy tech rep who has moonlighted for another operator for many years with the apparent knowledge of wj. They actually go head to head on a route. Isnt that an unusual scenario for a westjet employee?

NeverBlue
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by NeverBlue »

I was thinking the same.

I remember when AirCanada entry level wages weren't the best but people were eager to get in based on the yearly salary scale increase and the flight benefits, pension etc.

Everyone has to pay their dues as a new employee.

A lot of union jobs are low entry level pay but the yearly increases and CBA increases make it worth it after a few years.

Colleges in Ontario pay low at first but their scale has up to 21 pay steps with sometimes 2 raises a year depending on the CBAs. I know someone who'S making 6 figures at one of the colleges and has 9 weeks vacation, plus stats, plus pension and he took a 30G cut to get in 10 years ago.

Everyone has their opinion but no one should be judged for applying for and getting a job if it means saving their house or putting food on the table

...and calling them dummies or parasites is just plane wrong.

If you don't want to apply based on the wage then don't. I know I won't...but I certainly won't complain about those that do.

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by YYCAME »

One other thing I found out from a phone interview is that they only get 10% stock matching versus 20% for mainline (this is in lieu of RRSP matching, larger amount but much more tied to the company for a good retirement unless you pull it out regularily). If someone needs a job and is willing for work for that then good for them, but I suspect in a few years it will start to get a bit old knowing that you have the same responsibilities and do the same job for less money then mainline. It is a shame because you'll have guys who are good at the Q400 and enjoy working on them but feel compelled to move up in order to follow the money unless they change things in the future.

Return to “Maintenance”