Getting Back Into It

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

recon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Getting Back Into It

#1 Post by recon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:08 am

Hello,

I received my commercial license back in 2007 and right after decided to change my career path. It has been about 6 years since I have last flown but I would like to get back into it now that I have some disposable income.

My question is, being out of flying for this long, what should I read before I get into a plane again?
AIM would be a good current refresher on rules.
POH of course.
Flight Training Manual
I have a copy of the 28th edition of From the Ground Up which I could probably use as a refresher, but has some technology and requirements changed enough that a more current version would be a good idea?

What about other books like "Flying Beyond"? Would they be worth while? Any other suggestions?

Furthermore, does anyone have any suggestions for some instruction/rental locations south of Calgary? Okotoks or High River?
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Getting Back Into It

#2 Post by co-joe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:30 pm

You have to meet "Recency" if you haven't acted as PIC or SIC within 5 years. First step is get the medical again, then go write the PSTAR. Robyn's Pstar guide is awesome. The questions that have change still have the same letter answer, the guide is on TC's website, ignore the rotary stuff, they won't ask it. for recency, you'll have to go up with an instructor and prove you meet flight test standards for the CPL. Obviously the POH, and flight training guide will be good, as well as the new flight test standards guide. There are a few new lessons like the 180 forced approach on downwind.

For the IFR renewal if you had one, now you don't need to write the INRAT and you can renew with an IPC in an approved sim. There is some BS with TC coming that they don't like the Red Bird for some reason so ask around about that. For sure read the AIM cover to cover, lots has changed in the IFR sections. Lots of nice to know stuff not worth spending a tonne of time on as well.

I wouldn't bother with FTGU myself. Langley Flying school has an amazing web site for IFR reference material.

recon
Rank 1
Rank 1

#3 Post by recon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 pm

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I never did get multi or ifr ratings and I'm not looking to proceed with flying as a career. I am only looking to fly recreational as a private pilot. My medical is current for a ppl, within 60 months.

I will start with the AIM and dig up a POH for a 172 since that is most likely what I will be flying. Then I will get in touch with a flight school for some refresher flights and a check ride.

ShawnR
Rank 1
Rank 1

#4 Post by ShawnR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:51 pm

I went through this 2 years ago. Studied for the PSTAR using whatever method you want. It is the PSTAR. And I scheduled and flew a flight with an instructor. Of course the medical. I don't think I read the AIM other than to clarify some of the PSTAR answers so that I understood rather than remembered the answers. I would imagine that if you had your CPL, you had a higher level of skills than I did so off to a good start already. I don't know about getting back in if you will be slipping back into CPL or downgrading to PPL. That might change your flight test but I think the PSTAR does not change. Good luck! Sure glad I got back!
Cheers

Return to “Flight Training”