What's the situation like at YBW?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

What's the situation like at YBW?

Post by SoaringHigh »

Hi all, hope you're having a great week.

Just out of curiosity, what is the situation like at Springbank Airport (Calgary AB) in regards to number of instructors, their availability, ab initio VFR training and MIFR training? Is there enough instructors to fill the demand, or are they hurting for instructors like alot of the major centres in Canada?

And what does the 12 month forecast look like? I would assume it would get worse, but maybe there's a good crop of new instructors-in-training.

I thank you all in advance for your input!
---------- ADS -----------

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: What's the situation like at YBW?

Post by yhz41 »

Well there's 3 schools so you'll have to be a little more specific. But yes, there should be enough availability to go around between the flying club and satc.

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh »

yhz41 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:42 pm Well there's 3 schools so you'll have to be a little more specific. But yes, there should be enough availability to go around between the flying club and satc.
Thanks for the info. I was asking in regards to any and all of the training units/clubs at YBW. Seems most FTUs are having a hard time retaining instructors atm.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

I'd suggest you contact them directly. Word around YBW is that both SATC and CFC have waiting lists now.
How long I don't know.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

As far as I'm told, don't quote me I could be completely wrong, CFC has a wait list for check on types but actual licenses they're accepting. I'd pick satc if I had a choice tho.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Check on type? Since when did you need a type check to fly a 172?

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

Because flying schools don't rent them out without confirming you won't crash and die for insurance purposes.

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

A buddy of mine was waitlisted for several months at SATC to start his PPL. Unsure of the situation at CFC though.

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh »

Speedalive wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:35 pm A buddy of mine was waitlisted for several months at SATC to start his PPL. Unsure of the situation at CFC though.
That blows my mind!! Waitlisting brand new PPLs. Has this ever happened in the aviation industry before?

No Smoke, No Fire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Smoke, No Fire »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 pm Check on type? Since when did you need a type check to fly a 172?
For sure you’re God’s gift to aviation, but the FTU doesn’t know that yet :wink:

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh »

Thank you everyone for your input and information. This gives me a pretty good idea of the landscape at Springbank atm.

Fly safe everyone. Cheers!

Oh_Matron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Oh_Matron »

I enquired at CFC in January for my PPL and was told that I might be able to get in at the end of April.
A couple of weeks ago SATC they told me the wait list is 4 months.
If you want to start in a couple of days however, go to Sky wings in Red Deer

Oh_Matron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Oh_Matron »

At the beginning of February I went into the CFC and was told they had a shortage of instructors and the earliest I could start for my PPL was the end of April.
2 weeks ago I popped into SATC and was very impressed with the set up, but once again, no availability for new students. This time at least 4 months wait!

As a result of the above, I ended up going to Sky Wings in Red Deer. I called them and was told that they can usually get me in with a couple days notice and that has been my experience so far.

Simon96Taco
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Simon96Taco »

I was told the same thing by both SATC and CFC at Springbank - that the waitlist to start PPL instruction was a minimum of 6 months.

I had no idea. I had been up for a "discvoery flight" in February, and thought that I'd be pretty much able to start logging hours as long as I was available when the instructor was available. Not the case. Told that they need to push through a bunch of current students to get them licensed before admitting new students, this all due to the shortage of pilots in the industry.

I also considered Skywings up in Red Deer, but the 1.5 hour drive each way is a real negative for me....

Oh_Matron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Oh_Matron »

It's surprising how they can get you up for a discovery flight so quickly, yet can't get you in to start training for months. I just couldn't be bothered to wait so long to start, that's why I went to sky wings. An hour lesson is about 5hra out of my day but at least I am in the process.

Simon96Taco
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Simon96Taco »

Yeah, that kind of bothered me to be honest. I don't like the fact that I can go up on a "sightseeing" flight and pay for the time but not log hours.

I might also consider Skywings, especially if I could possibly do more than one hour in a day.

How are you finding the instruction there so far?

S

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

There used to be a flight school in Okotoks, one in High River (possibly two) and several at the international. Now you say the three left in this region are busy.

:smt102 How did that happen?

No Smoke, No Fire wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:43 am
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:33 pm Check on type? Since when did you need a type check to fly a 172?
For sure you’re God’s gift to aviation, but the FTU doesn’t know that yet :wink:
Since they started using insurance.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Simon96Taco wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:27 pm I was told the same thing by both SATC and CFC at Springbank - that the waitlist to start PPL instruction was a minimum of 6 months.

I had no idea. I had been up for a "discvoery flight" in February, and thought that I'd be pretty much able to start logging hours as long as I was available when the instructor was available. Not the case. Told that they need to push through a bunch of current students to get them licensed before admitting new students, this all due to the shortage of pilots in the industry.

I also considered Skywings up in Red Deer, but the 1.5 hour drive each way is a real negative for me....
You waited till the weather got nice and expected they'd be waiting for you? The winter is by far the best time to train. Smooth air, no convective turbulence, and less traffic.

Simon96Taco
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Simon96Taco »

co-joe wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:10 pm
Simon96Taco wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:27 pm I was told the same thing by both SATC and CFC at Springbank - that the waitlist to start PPL instruction was a minimum of 6 months.

You waited till the weather got nice and expected they'd be waiting for you? The winter is by far the best time to train. Smooth air, no convective turbulence, and less traffic.
No, I didn't expect that they'd "be waiting" for me at all. I just didn't expect a six month waiting list to start. I've never heard of such a thing before and based on what they said it sounds like it is very unusual. Are you used to seeing 6 month waiting lists when the weather gets nice?

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

I did my initial MIFR at SATC years ago. Not sure how relevant the info is now but a friend of mine said CFCs twin was always broken and the only other options were Fly Right or going through MRC’s program. I did my renewal at SATC a couple years ago and seemed like they were losing instructors fast.

Return to “Flight Training”