Limitations of a FLVC

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Limitations of a FLVC

Post by GAPILOT »

Hello everyone. I recently acquired an FLVC (Foreign Licence Validation Certificate) based on my Australian Private Pilot Licence. I would like to know if it has any limitations or are have lesser privileges compared to a Canadian PPL. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

tired of the ground
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Limitations of a FLVC

Post by tired of the ground »

You are required to abide by the most restrictive limitations of either the Canadian or Australian PPL. Being ICAO, I'd imagine they have fairly similar privileges.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I don’t believe that’s correct.

The FLVC restricts the holder to use it only for the purposes listed eg “recreational flying”. Other than that, per 401.07(2): “(2) The Minister shall, in accordance with the personnel licensing standards, specify in a foreign licence validation certificate the privileges that may be exercised by the holder of the certificate.”

There’s no Canadian regulation that restricts you to Australian rules for anything. (And there’s nobody in Canada that knows what those rules are, anyway.)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAPILOT »

So basically I can exercise my Australian PPL privileges (eg: Carrying passengers etc) through an FLVC in Canada?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

What does your FLVC say on it? When you applied you had the opportunity to put the type of licence you hold and any additional ratings (night, multi-engine, instrument etc.)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAPILOT »

It say at the back "RECEIVING FLIGHT TRAINING ON CANADIAN REGISTERED AIRCRAFT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PRIVILEGES OF THE AUSTRALIAN LICENCE XXXXXXX " XXXXXX being my licence number.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

There you are then. Flight training only; that means solo flights only under under direct supervision, and no passengers for you. (Dual training flights with an instructor are carried out under the instructor’s licence privileges so your FLVC doesn’t come into play.)

When you applied, why didn’t you tick the box in part C for “Private Recreational” instead of just “Flight Training”?

GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAPILOT »

UPDATE: I spoken to TC and got my FLVC amended, so now the issue is resolved and I can use my FLVC for Private/Recreational purposes. Thank you all for your answers!

Return to “Flight Training”