MRA vs MEA

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

MRA vs MEA

Post by Speedalive »

On the LO chart legend, the part about the MRA states: "MRA omitted when the same as MEA." But when would the MEA be different than the MRA on an airway? The MEA is defined as "the published altitude ASL between specified fixes on airways or air routes, which assures acceptable navigational signal coverage, and which meets IFR obstacle clearance requirements." The MRA is defined as "the lowest altitude above sea level(ASL) at which acceptable navigational signal coverage is received to determine the intersection." So shouldn't they always be the same altitude since the MEA basically includes the MRA on top of obstacle clearence? The only thing I can think of is if you're flying over a mountain valley with a nav station in it and perhaps you could potentially have radio reception at a lower altitude than the MOCA. Is there any other scenario? I'm probably overthinking this big time.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Speedalive on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: MRA vs MEA

Post by Speedalive »

I think I answered my own question when I typed that out. So basically the MRA will be depicted on the chart if it's below the MOCA because otherwise it'll be included in the MEA, right?

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Speedalive wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:31 pm On the LO chart legend, the part about the MRA states: "MRA omitted when the same as MEA." But when would the MEA be different than the MRA on an airway? The MEA is defined as "the published altitude ASL between specified fixes on airways or air routes, which assures acceptable navigational signal coverage, and which meets IFR obstacle clearance requirements." The MRA is defined as "the lowest altitude above sea level(ASL) at which acceptable navigational signal coverage is received to determine the intersection." So shouldn't they always be the same altitude since the MEA basically includes the MRA on top of obstacle clearence? The only thing I can think of is if you're flying over a mountain valley with a nav station in it and perhaps you could potentially have radio reception at a lower altitude than the MOCA. Is there any other scenario? I'm probably overthinking this big time.
MRA is for an intersection where you may need to receive two navaids, one of which may be out of range at the MEA. MEA is for an airway where you only need to receive one navaid.

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

Thank you!

Return to “Flight Training”