Not a good idea

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Not a good idea

Post by Longtimer »

There has been much talk in the industry about how pilot skills are deteriorating because of automation. The following article describes a program that will put a novice pilot into the right seat of large aircraft. I don't think this is a very good idea, what say you?
MPL students bust transfer myth
By: David LearmountLondonSource: Flightglobal.com This story is sourced from Flightglobal.com 11:55 22 Oct 2014
A group of UK multi-crew pilot licence (MPL) trainees dropped by their sponsoring carrier because of restructuring were immediately taken on by another airline, busting the myth that the MPL is not transferable, according to CTC Aviation chief commercial officer Anthony Petteford.
The carrier, Monarch Airlines, also had to make redundant some CTC-trained first officers with MPLs who were well past their line check, but Petteford says CTC is already in talks with carriers that will take them on. This, he insists, is further proof that the MPL qualification is flexible in the face of changing airline circumstances.
Speaking of the trainee pilots, for whom the Monarch decision came at the end of their MPL phase one core skills syllabus, Petteford says: “As their training provider, we got involved and facilitated their transfer to another MPL airline, EasyJet, and the guys are now back on track again – in less than one month, all supported by the Civil Aviation Authority. So MPL training is definitely transferable between airlines.”
An MPL “first” will be announced soon, says Petteford, after a “high-profile airline” signed up with CTC to have cadets trained under the system for delivery straight into the right-hand seat of widebody aircraft. So far most MPL graduates have started work on Airbus A320s, Boeing 737s and – with Flybe – Bombardier Dash 8 Q400s.
Meanwhile, CTC says it has decided to embed an upset prevention and recovery training (UPRT) module in all its ab initio training, whether for the MPL or a commercial pilot licence.
This requirement is expected to be mandated by EASA and the US Federal Aviation Administration, but CTC is not waiting for the starting pistol. The training will comprise 3h in a Slingsby T67 aerobatic aircraft, which will be based at the company’s Bournemouth training centre in Dorset, and 4h in one of CTC Aviation’s Boeing or Airbus level-D full-flight simulators, “to enable transfer of the core UPRT skills into an operational airline environment”, Petteford explains.
---------- ADS -----------

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Not a good idea

Post by cdnpilot77 »

This is not a new idea, it has been in practise in Europe for a while. What is new is that the MPL was largely thought to be non-transferable until the candidate received their full ATPL. Canada has taken steps to allow this arrangement in Canada. Personally, I think it's a horrible idea and rewards large wallets rather than any skill but I am just a simple line pilot that doesn't know much about anything.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I was under the impresssion all MPL students were sponsored so you comment of rewarding big wallets came as a surprise.
Can you elaborate?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

It is my understanding that although "sponsored" as in the FTU/airline interviews and accepts or rejects candidates, in some cases the candidates are paying upwards of €135,000 to sit right seat in an A320. It is a cadet scheme with students graduating with an MPL. Then when they are successfully online, an MPL will be making <€2000 per month. Depending on the airline of course. Stand to be corrected, but with my limited reading and comprehension skills on other sites, this is what I take.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

3h of aerobatics and problem solved? I dont think so, it takes repeated exposure to maintain proficiency for any kind of emergency.

Return to “Flight Training”