IFR Renewel question - More than 2 years lapse

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Cadismack
Rank 3
Rank 3

IFR Renewel question - More than 2 years lapse

Post by Cadismack »

Lets be honest; I know the answers are out there, and I have done some research into CARs, but I figure someone in the masses has a clearer interpretation of the regs and will be able to help out or at least clarify.

My IFR expired over 2 years ago. I fully understand that I need to right the INRAT again, but I am a little fuzzy on a few requirements for my initial/renewal.

First, for the INRAT do I need a recommend to write? I assume I do not as I already got that recommend (as well as the required classroom training and flight experience) when I first wrote the INRAT. My interpretation is that this recommend is for minimum requirements, thus implying that I've already met these once and would indeed still meet them. Thoughts?

Second is the flight test recommend. I'm fairly clear (at least I think) that this doesn't need to come from an instructor. My friend and former captain is left seat 705 jet; I assume that after doing some additional training with him (hey its been a while and I've forgotten a ton), when he's comfortable he could write my a recommend, correct? I noticed that some of the sample recommends include the FTU number. Am I correct in assuming that since this is a recommend to my second initial IFR, the reasons behind needing a flight school recommend are nul for the same reasons above?

Any help or assistance would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has a line on a DFTE in northern alberta that would also be helpful. Its going to be a while before I am ready (Spring ish) but I am optimistically hoping to get my refresher training/flight test done in a relatively short period of time when I can make it down this spring.

Thanks Again
---------- ADS -----------

stol701
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: IFR Renewel question - More than 2 years lapse

Post by stol701 »

The way I read it you have to go through the flight test.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... htm#421_49

Please see "421.49 Renewal of Instrument Rating ... (4)"

There are some conditions in (6) under the same rule that describe when you can go for the flight test only, without writing INRAT. But I don't see anything that talks about conditions when you don't have to go for the flight test... unless you fall in one of the categories described in (2) or (3).

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

If your friend is going to be training you, shouldn't he be able to answer these questions for you?

You don't need an FTU recommend for the initial flight test, and won't need any recommend for the renewal.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

No recommendation needed to sith the INRAT, either.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”