Minimum hours?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

lanew
Rank 0
Rank 0

Minimum hours?

Post by lanew »

I have been considering getting my PPL from MFC (Moncton Flight College) for some time now, but have had a few questions. One, was, after completing the course, do you have to fly a set number of minimum hours per month/year to keep your skills together? If so, what is the number and does it vary depending on lisence and province?

That's all for now, thanks,

William
---------- ADS -----------

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Very good question, lanew...

I get this one all the time.

I will give you the short, uncomplicated version.

In order to be able to exercise the privileges of your license, you must maintain "recency requirements". Here is how:

1) you must have acted as PIC (Pilot-in-Command) or Co-Pilot of an aircraft with the previous 5 years, or
2) in the past 12 months had a flight review with an instructor (kind of a mini flight test) and re-write the PSTAR (pre-solo air regulations and air traffic procedures exam)

ALSO:

1) within the past 24 months you have to complete some sort of recurrent training (much easier than it sounds) and
2) if you wish to carry passengers, you must have completed 5 take-offs and landings in the previous 6 months

If you have other endorsements/ratings it does get more complex than that. I know it looks complicated.

Simply put, as a Private Pilot, if you fly a few times a year and do a safety seminar (or self-paced learning, even!) every 2 years, you are good to go!

CARS Reference for Recency Requirements: http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/RegSe ... m#401_05_1

I hope this helps!

-Guy

PS: For all you other Pilots out there… be sure to keep track of any activities you complete for currency reasons… just put a note in your logbook.

dangerous
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dangerous »

TC Guy is right. That's all TC requires for you to stay current. However if you plan on renting airplane post-PPL, you may find that the flying school/club has more strict requirements. This could be for insurance reasons. For example, they may consider you non-current (and not covered by insurance) if you haven't flown in the last 2 or 3 months. Every place is different so I'd check into it if you're concerned about it. If owning your own plane is in the cards, then have at 'er. As long as your insurance still covers you.

Have fun!!!

"Yeah. There is a problem. You...because you're dangerous. You're dangerous and foolish - and that makes you dangerous! Now, let's cut the...crap. We've got a plane to fly. Let's try to be on time, okay?"
~Val Kilmer, Saturday Night Live
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

One thing to add to TC guys info there. Where it says co-pilot of the aircraft.

The co-pilot position has to be required. This doesn't mean that you go up with your buddy (who also has a license) and just chill as he fly's around in the C172.

Maybe an obvious statement, but i'm just making sure. There is a difference between a co-pilot and a 2nd pilot.

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

dangerous wrote:TC Guy is right. That's all TC requires for you to stay current. However if you plan on renting airplane post-PPL, you may find that the flying school/club has more strict requirements. This could be for insurance reasons. For example, they may consider you non-current (and not covered by insurance) if you haven't flown in the last 2 or 3 months. Every place is different so I'd check into it if you're concerned about it. If owning your own plane is in the cards, then have at 'er. As long as your insurance still covers you.

Have fun!!!
Good point. I was only addressing the legal aspects from a TC/CARS perspective.

Most/all flight schools will have their own currency policy.

-Guy

lanew
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks!

Post by lanew »

Thanks a lot guys, that was the exact answer I was looking for.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

One of the most unfortunate statistics about private pilots is far to many get their licenses and then lose intrest or can not afford to keep current.

To add to TC Guys comments regarding the hard wired regulations I would like to suggest that you fly whenever you get the chance, even if you think you can not afford it, when I started flying I made friends with airplane owners and looked after their airplanes and washed them regularly...got lots of free flying that way.

By the way troops I have been reading with great intrest all the posts made by TC Guy and it seems that we have a very valuable source of information and advice being offered by whoever he/she is....

...It is good to have some positive input from the ranks of the regulator, if in fact he/she is in the employ of TC... :mrgreen:

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Cat Driver wrote:One of the most unfortunate statistics about private pilots is far to many get their licenses and then lose intrest or can not afford to keep current.
A very sad reality. General aviation (at least the way it was back in the late 70's) is in it's sunset years.
Cat Driver wrote:By the way troops I have been reading with great intrest all the posts made by TC Guy and it seems that we have a very valuable source of information and advice being offered by whoever he/she is....

...It is good to have some positive input from the ranks of the regulator, if in fact he/she is in the employ of TC... :mrgreen:

Cat
Thank you for the kind words. I am glad to be able to contribute to (and participate in) this community.

-Guy

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

For sure TC Guy this business needs people who will try and keep it as something worth wanting to be part of.

Over the past several decades there seems to be a steady move towards more and more rules and regulations that end up perverting the very reason that rules and regulations are needed.

So it is refreshing to have someone who trys to simplify this ever exanding flood of paper with consise to the point advice.

Today I went for a medical renewal and was impressed with the quality of the medical exam here in Europe, no less than three doctors had their go at checking my fitness to fly and it took almost two hours. Also the cost was 218.00 Euros, approx. $320.00 Canadian. ( Paid for by my employer of course. )

Sadly they could find nothing wrong with me so I have to keep flying for a few more weeks before I can return to Canada.

I have been away from home since May and will be glad to get this contract finished.

Making money is not really worth all the problems that flying overseas entails, so I will be happy to get home and go back to building my Cub and maybe doing some part time training with it.

Anyhow TC Guy, I hope you are for real and maybe some day we can sit and have a coffee and I can entertain you with some of my more interesting experiences in this big strange world. :mrgreen:

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
sakism
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sakism »

Just out of curiousity, now that the AIP is no longer being updated, how are the Aviation Safety Newsletters going to be delivered?

The Self-paced recurrency quiz at the back of the newsletters are the easiest way to maintain the 2 year currency - how are we going to get them now?

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

sakism wrote:Just out of curiousity, now that the AIP is no longer being updated, how are the Aviation Safety Newsletters going to be delivered?

The Self-paced recurrency quiz at the back of the newsletters are the easiest way to maintain the 2 year currency - how are we going to get them now?
Good question. I don't know... I will talk to someone in System Safety and find out (heck, they might not even know yet!).

You will be getting a paper copy of the complete TC AIM (the new AIP) in October, so I am guessing that is when you will get the next Safety Letter.

Info on TC AIM: http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regse ... P/menu.htm

-Guy

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Okay, here is an update from TC System Safety regarding the Aviation Safety Letter:
TC System Safety wrote:The ASL is being completely revamped as a Safety Journal. It will be produced in a magazine format and will incorporate the ASL, Vortex, maintainer, as well as numerous other publications that we send out. The idea is to reduce the number of things we mail out, rolling them all into a single professional looking journal.
That sounds like a great idea-- I liked reading all of the publications when I had the chance.

Now we know!

-Guy

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Cat Driver wrote: Anyhow TC Guy, I hope you are for real and maybe some day we can sit and have a coffee and I can entertain you with some of my more interesting experiences in this big strange world. :mrgreen:
Cat
I would like that. And I guarantee I exist.

-Guy

Return to “Flight Training”