instrument rating

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

floydfrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

instrument rating

Post by floydfrank »

Hi guys:

I am sure this subject has been covered here, but would anyone know the final expiry on an instrument rating. For instance, mine states valid to Feb '14 - I am presuming it would fully expire March of 2016, 2 years after the last valid month/year - does this sound right? Thx
---------- ADS -----------

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: instrument rating

Post by awitzke »

Wait, it says valid until Feb 2014? That would make it sound like it's already expired.

If that was the date if issue, then it would expire the first day of the 25th month after. With the last valid day being the final day of the 24th month.

Or maybe I just don't understand what you're asking.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think he's asking at what point he's considered not to have held an IR in the previous 24 months and so would have to sit the INRAT again.

I bet you it says something like "to 2014 FEB 01" so it expired 1 Feb 2014, so you'd have to sit the INRAT if you haven't passed a check ride by 31 January 2016.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
floydfrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by floydfrank »

photofly wrote:I think he's asking at what point he's considered not to have held an IR in the previous 24 months and so would have to sit the INRAT again.

I bet you it says something like "to 2014 FEB 01" so it expired 1 Feb 2014, so you'd have to sit the INRAT if you haven't passed a check ride by 31 January 2016.
Thanks P F, that answers my question. I had come up with the same answer and want to avoid re writting the INRAT. It's been so long since I initially wrote the exam that I :idea: I might have some difficulty passing.
Thanks again! :D Next dumb question, do any schools in the lower mainland have a simulator on which to do an IFR ride?

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

ProIFR on the mainland I believe can do it on their RedBird FMX. There should be a few more than just that. TC's website is a great place to start - http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/C ... x?lang=eng
You can search by province and also Instrument Rating as flight authority...

avcanada7**
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by avcanada7** »

do any schools in the lower mainland have a simulator on which to do an IFR ride?

Sea land air has their simulator in Richmond.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I know I am going to get jumped all over for this, but if you could not pass the inrat maybe, just maybe, you need to get back on the books. The INRAT, in my opinion, and despite what some people think, is not a hard exam if you are Up to speed with your instrument knowledge.

If you have not flown in IMC for a couple of years it may take a few hours. Find a good instructor.
You have to shake out all the cobwebs on flight planning, regulation changes, weather interpretation, as well as the flight skills. A bit more to the renewal than following the magenta line.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

trey kule wrote:I know I am going to get jumped all over for this, but if you could not pass the inrat maybe, just maybe, you need to get back on the books.
I don't think you should get jumped on for suggesting that, it sounds very sensible to me.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

avcanada7** wrote:do any schools in the lower mainland have a simulator on which to do an IFR ride?

Sea land air has their simulator in Richmond.

PFC has an Alsim that is certified for renewals. It flies pretty damn well for a sim, and has a Garmin 430 and A/P.

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

trey kule wrote:I know I am going to get jumped all over for this, but if you could not pass the inrat maybe, just maybe, you need to get back on the books. The INRAT, in my opinion, and despite what some people think, is not a hard exam if you are Up to speed with your instrument knowledge.

If you have not flown in IMC for a couple of years it may take a few hours. Find a good instructor.
You have to shake out all the cobwebs on flight planning, regulation changes, weather interpretation, as well as the flight skills. A bit more to the renewal than following the magenta line.
+1. Just what I was thinking. It might be a good idea for safety sake.

Wahunga!
BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

I use proifr,just finished my ipc tonight to renew my group 3.They are certified to do both single & multi renewals in the Redbird.
If you are really rusty take either the 1 day;Saturday,or 3 day(Friday to Sunday) to bring the knowledge back up to speed & then jump in the Redbird to polish for the ipc.They even have an examiner available.

Daryl

Return to “Flight Training”