Looking for a freelancer for Class 4

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

aviatrix444
Rank 1
Rank 1

Looking for a freelancer for Class 4

Post by aviatrix444 »

I've got a pa28 based out of CNC3, and I'm looking for an instructor to work with me on my class 4 instructor rating. I've got a CPL M/IFR already.

I know the typical line about schools only hiring candidates they've trained, but I've already got that part sorted out. Just need the rating.

If you have any recommendations on someone you've worked with, or you are that someone, please send me a message!

---------- ADS -----------

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Looking for a freelancer for Class 4

Post by praveen4143 »

I'm probably not a whole lot of help right now, but you need to bring a spin-capable airplane for the Class 4 ride. So, unless it is a Cherokee 140, the examiner has the right to refuse the aircraft for the test. What you do the training on, probably does not matter.

aviatrix444
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aviatrix444 »

It is a spin certified 140, and no you don't need one for a class 4 flight test. No issues there :)

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

The examiner can ask you to demonstrate anything they want you to during the flight test, not to mention that they could just ask you to PGI a lesson plan outside of the usual two through five/seven...

So you need to provide an aircraft that is certified for spins.

Last edited by 7ECA on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Aeros »

aviatrix444 wrote:It is a spin certified 140, and no you don't need one for a class 4 flight test. No issues there :)
If it's an initial Instructor Rating flight test then you do indeed need to provide an aircraft certified for spins. (At least according to the Flight Test Guide and 421.69 (4). Whether or not the examiner elects to enforce that requirement is another question.)
TP5537 wrote:
The aircraft used for the flight test must meet the requirements of CAR 425.23 – Training Aircraft Requirements and must:

1. have fully functioning dual controls:

2. have a serviceable two-way intercom system unless satisfactory voice communication can be maintained between the candidate and the examiner;

3. be approved to carry out all the exercises appropriate to the instructor rating sought and have no operating limitations which prohibit the performance of those exercises.

Initial applicants for aeroplane instructor ratings must provide an aircraft certified for intentional spins. Except with the concurrence of the examiner, applicants for renewal or upgrade of an aeroplane instructor rating must also provide an aircraft certified for intentional spins.
This is echoed in Schedule 9 - Flight Test for the Issuance or Renewal of a Flight Instructor Rating - Class 4 - Aeroplane.
Schedule 9 wrote:2. Aircraft and Equipment Required for the Flight Test

(a) The candidate shall provide:

(i) an aeroplane that meets the requirements of subsections 425.23 (1), (2), (3) and (4) of Standard 425 — Flight Training and which is, subject to paragraph (b), certified for intentional spins,

(ii) an effective means of excluding outside visual reference to simulate instrument flight conditions while maintaining a safe level of visibility for the examiner.

(b) In the case of a renewal for a flight instructor rating, the examiner may not require that the aircraft be certified for intentional spins.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Earlier PA28-140's are spin rated in utility category.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

aviatrix444 wrote:It is a spin certified 140, and no you don't need one for a class 4 flight test. No issues there :)
Almost all Class 4 rides I've seen happen usually ends up with the TC inspector asking to get the examinee to show a spin either as a fam-demo, teaching dual or at the very least as a performance item. Have not had to do them personally on my Class 2 or 1 rides, but I definitely taught it on my Class 4 ride.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

praveen4143 wrote:
Almost all Class 4 rides I've seen happen usually ends up with the TC inspector asking to get the examinee to show a spin either as a fam-demo, teaching dual or at the very least as a performance item. Have not had to do them personally on my Class 2 or 1 rides, but I definitely taught it on my Class 4 ride.
That's a change. When I was instructing in Ontario from 99 to 08 examiners almost seemed scared of spins. I did 5 instructors re-rides my self and sent quite a few guys for their initial class four rides. Never had to teach/do a spin. Didn't have to do one when I did my class one re-ride 3 years ago in YWG. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a change for the better. Spins are a great exercise and far to many people are afraid of them.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

B208 wrote: That's a change. When I was instructing in Ontario from 99 to 08 examiners almost seemed scared of spins. I did 5 instructors re-rides my self and sent quite a few guys for their initial class four rides. Never had to teach/do a spin. Didn't have to do one when I did my class one re-ride 3 years ago in YWG. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a change for the better. Spins are a great exercise and far to many people are afraid of them.
I did my initial ride in Winnipeg and a few of my peers who did the ride around the same time, IIRC had to either teach or demonstrate spins on their initial ride..

I'm sad to see TC inspectors afraid of spins.. They are quite a docile maneuver. Even in something like a Citabria. I've heard bad stuff about spins on a Tomahawk but then again I've never had my hands on one to verify it myself.

Even down south I've heard spins are a requisite maneuver on the "CFI" ride which is essentially a class 3 ride..

If examiners are afraid of spins and pass on the same feeling to instructors then who's going to teach the next generation of pilots spin recovery? Also spin recovery training is part of pre solo requirements. So isn't everyone doing that? :shock:

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I love spins. That was my favorite lesson while training for my PPL. Now I'd like to find an freelance instructor comfortable spinning my Cherokee for more training...

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “Flight Training”