Night Rating - Spins

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

wowie_kazowie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Night Rating - Spins

Post by wowie_kazowie »

Anyone have to do spins during their night rating training? Seems a bit silly but wondering if any others have done it...
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Night Rating - Spins

Post by AuxBatOn »

Frig that shit. Who would want to do that!?

Going for the deck at corner
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Spins are an aerobatic maneuver, aerobatics are not permitted at night - because it's a bad idea!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

No.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

PilotDAR wrote:Spins are an aerobatic maneuver, aerobatics are not permitted at night - because it's a bad idea!
+1. Very, very bad idea. Easy to become spatially disoriented.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Had to put that in there, but notice even the best in the world aren't doing any tumbling or spinning maneuvers.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

Only in a twin....

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Im not advocating spins at night, but I recall going up east of Peterborough in a C-150 at night and doing spins dual. Spins are done on instruments with a check pilot,,,should be able to properly recover on instruments with Night VFR as a back-up. Increased risk? but then full spins are an increased risk these days anyways, as well as flying behind a 50 year old engine !!!

wowie_kazowie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wowie_kazowie »

PilotDAR wrote:Spins are an aerobatic maneuver, aerobatics are not permitted at night - because it's a bad idea!
This is what I found in the cars,

Aerobatic Manoeuvres — Prohibited Areas and Flight Conditions

602.27 No person operating an aircraft shall conduct aerobatic manoeuvres
(a) over a built-up area or an open-air assembly of persons;
(b) in controlled airspace, except in accordance with a special flight operations certificate issued pursuant to section 603.67;
(c) when flight visibility is less than three miles; or
(d) below 2,000 feet AGL, except in accordance with a special flight operations certificate issued pursuant to section 603.02 or 603.67.

It does not say anything about night. Although if you can find the regulation please share, as I said I feel like it is a bit much.
While it's important to recognize a spin using instrument indications, why not do it under the hood in the day so that you have a more safety margin? Just as a comparison, the FAA don't require spins at all in their private or commercial training.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

Strega wrote:Only in a twin....

With an engine out ... solidly feathered too, and preferably the left.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

crazyaviator wrote:Im not advocating spins at night, but I recall going up east of Peterborough in a C-150 at night and doing spins dual. Spins are done on instruments with a check pilot,,,should be able to properly recover on instruments with Night VFR as a back-up. Increased risk? but then full spins are an increased risk these days anyways, as well as flying behind a 50 year old engine !!!
Sounds like you are downplaying the risks to a degree.

Should be able to get out of lots of situations, that doesn't mean simulating every one of those situations is a wise move. Risk is on recovery there are no distinct lights visible, quite possible in any area appropriate for spins away from built up areas, spin snaps the wrong way, and the check pilot gets confused. Maybe your inexperienced class 4 reading this will get cute ideas that this would be fun to try and people will end up dead.

I've done unusual attitudes under the hood during the day. I see no advantage in needlessly adding risk by adding night to the equation.

Just My $0.02

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Why don't we practice V1 cuts in a real plane? That's why we have sim training. If you want to practice night spin recovery do it under a hood during the day with an instructor or get some unusual attitude recovery training in a sim.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

A civil discussion on this sort of thing is nice to see. Often an instructor gets some well-intentioned yet bad idea, passes it to their student, who some day becomes an instructor themselves and repeats the cycle. I'm sure we've all seen it plenty of times. Today we get to break one of those chains. Today is a good day.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I remember during my night rating, while completing the dual portion, flying through Glen Valley on the way to Pitt Meadows we heard someone making calls about climbing to 4000 feet for spins. Myself and the instructor looked at each other, and said "well, we'll either be reading about it in the CADORS or the papers when this guy ends up dead".

Just plain stupid and dangerous, if you want to get this sort of practice do it under the hood with a competent instructor. And plenty of people cannot handle prolonged unusual attitude work while under the hood without getting sick, let alone spins - have fun...

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

Maybe you should be nude in the plane as well! It would really give the investigators something to ponder should you crash.

Jim :-)

carbeerater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by carbeerater »

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 83#p838341

Check the first post... been there, done that, do not recommend it.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

I have pulled the power to idle and told my student it was a simulated engine failure. The seconds of ugh uh oh oh and confusion is certainly interesting.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

It does not say anything about night. Although if you can find the regulation please share
I agree, I cannot find that reference. My errant recollection... Still a bad idea though....

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

I'd be somewhat leery of an instructor that requests you do spins at night. As stated by Rookie50, you're typically out in a secluded area with minimal lighting from the ground. Spatial distortion would be way to easy to become victim of. There's already a ton of ways to plow a plane into the ground without upping the stakes.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

I would suggest low level advanced aerobatics is more dangerous than spins at night, however, LLAA pays $$$ and is for the very few as spins for your commercial at night is simply unnecessary and risk increasing ( WAS FUN THOUGH :D )

Return to “Flight Training”