Using the FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook for INRAT

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Using the FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook for INRAT

Post by bigEh »

I am studying for the INRAT on my own and am trying to gather all the study materials I can. I have the TC Instrument Procedures Manual but it hasn't been updated since 2000.
I have all the usual study material like CAP GEN, AIM, CARS, etc but find them super dry and difficult to follow.
So I am curious if anyone has any experience using the FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook and how the information transfers to Canada. Clearly there will some information that may change but does the general theory of IFR stand up?
I feel like if I am careful and use it for the theory rather than any regulations, it should be a useful study reference.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Using the FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook for INRAT

Post by CpnCrunch »

I found the old TC Instrument Procedures Manual fine. The only real changes are the rules for using a GPS (which you can get from the AIC) and the approach ban (which is in the CAP GEN). Make sure you memorize the limits for the various equipment, rules for approach ban, rules for contact/visual approaches, etc. Langley flying school's website is very useful as well. I'm not sure I'd use the FAA procedures manual, as there are some differences between Canada and the USA which might trip you up.

wud2nuq
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wud2nuq »

The new IPM (http://aviationpublishers.com/instrumen ... es-manual/) is available at several places (example: http://pilotshop.ca/instrument-procedures-manual-ipm). If starting fresh it is a good reference, but of course is not free. I have been going through the Gleim Canadian to FAA IFR conversion course, which uses a lot of their regular FAA-based training material. As CapnCrunch said, there are enough subtle differences procedure-wise between the two countries that I'd be careful about using the FAA IPM for the details for the INRAT, but I think that it's OK for understanding the basics. I'd also recommend Rod Machado's Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual 2nd edition. He just has a straightforward way of explaining things, and has good info on those new-fangled Garmin 4/530's everyone seems to be talking about.

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

Thanks for the replies.
I have also been using the Langley Flight school website. I'm surprised how useful it is being that it's free.
Thanks for the links to the new manuals. Is this newer Instrument Procedures Manual( http://pilotshop.ca/instrument-procedures-manual-ipm) basically the same as the original TC version that stopped getting updated in 2000?

wud2nuq
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wud2nuq »

No lots of the old IPM (chapters 3 and 4) are better covered in the AIM, the new IPM is a complete rewrite. I don't have it in front of me, but if you see on take a look at it. The basics of Human Factors, instruments and the like are mostly unchanged, and it is not like the intent of the procedures has changed between the two. Since you are already into the material, the old TC IPM with the latest AIM and other references is probably enough, but I wouldn't use the FAA IPM unless you were looking for another slant to think about. The INRAT is of course based on the Canadian sources, but sometimes the FAA explains it better.

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

I just wrote the INRAT after studying on my own.

The best resource (for me) was the dauntless app on iPad and the AIM

The dauntless app is basically about 1000 questions similar to what you will see on the INRAT. Lots of questions. At first I was overwhelmed and it seemed like too much. The app can create practice exams and pick questions from each subject at random

The trick about the app I found only a couple days before writing is you can set it to categorize the questions based on what you get correct and incorrect. Eventually you end up with 5 "stacked" of questions. You start with everything in the middle stack. If you get the question correct, the question moves to the right. If you get it wrong it moves to the left. After running through a few tests you will have a collection of questions in the left stack that you got wrong. Read the aim sections about those and keep going through only the questions that you have trouble with.

I purchased every bit of study material there is, including the FAA previous books but this app was by far the most valuable

Pm me if you need more info

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I'm using a 2012 version of the Jeppesen Instrument/Commercial book. It's use based but is essentially identical to Canadian rules and procedures when comparing to my ground school. Nearly all the images in the slide shows we're using in my ground school are from the Jepp book and the class is following the order of the book. The practice tests inside are fairly good.

Return to “Flight Training”