Passenger safety review Vs. Passenger safety briefing

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mckenziepiping
Rank 1
Rank 1

Passenger safety review Vs. Passenger safety briefing

Post by mckenziepiping »

In the PPL Flight Test Guide, a passenger briefing is covered by Exercise 2 [Aeroplane Familiarization and Preparation for Flight], D. [Pre-Flight Inspection] i) [perform an effective passenger safety briefing]. This briefing is pretty exhaustive and all-inclusive if you look at the sub-points that should be covered.

So then, why is it that in Exercise 16 for all the different kinds of takeoffs, you're supposed to a) [perform an effective passenger safety review]?

Which items from the initial briefing were not covered? Does the review repeat items from the briefing or does it address new topics?

I mean, I know each takeoff should be briefed regarding things like winds, traffic, rotation speeds, emergency action, etc. etc. but that is not stuff you would brief to a passenger.....

See pages 11 and 17. Ignore the pages referenced in the index, I'm talking about the page numbers shown at the bottom centre of each page.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
tp13723e.pdf
(298.4 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Passenger safety review Vs. Passenger safety briefing

Post by gustind »

For me...

The briefing as outlined in Exercise 2 should commence before you even step foot onto the apron. Take your passengers and quickly review apron safety like don't walk into props or stay away from airplanes with the red beacon on. Once at the airplane, review the applicable safety items beginning with comfort. How do I get into the airplane, how do I use the seat, how do I use the seatbelt and how do I get out. Once comfort items are reviewed you can go into emergency items like here is the first aid kit etc,. It is pointless to do these briefings while the passenger is already sitting in the airplane with their headset on and seatbelt on and tight. Pointless, therefore start outside of the airplane. A tip for flight test is while doing the walk around, ask the examiner to familiarize themselves with the safety card if the aircraft has one.

Before take-off you are conducting your passenger briefing and your "pre-flight briefing." My ideas on this are: you are single pilot taking a passenger on a flight. The last thing they want to hear is in the event of an engine failure after take-off I will do this this and this. That take-off briefing isn't for the passenger but for yourself. If that does happen, you are most likely to do what you just briefed and in any event just enhances your situational awareness of your plan.

The passenger needs to hear a quick safety review. Ok we're almost ready to take-off, just make sure your hands and feet are free from the controls and you're not talking until we get up to a safe altitude. Make sure your seat is locked and seat belt on tight. We're gonna turn right and go this way for a little but after take-off etc,. Just keep them in the loop with what they need to know.

Pre-landing is a similar thing. Brief yourself on what you're doing and brief them on whats going to happen for the landing. We are going to turn left and parallel the runway and then turn "base" and final etc,. Keep your seat upright and locked and seatbelt fastened tightly. Once we are down I'll do some checks and then we can talk again then.

Remember, you're single pilot on the PPL flight test and you should be pretending the examiner is a passenger. So, pretend away!

Daniel Gustin
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

As far as a flight test is concerned, a passenger safety briefing should meet the requirements of CAR602.89 (look it up) - failure to comply with which can land the PIC with a $3000 fine for each section you contravene.

My passengers don't want a flying lesson every time we fly and they couldn't give a stuff about whether we've got to first second or third base or whether I hang to the left or the right.

*I* care that before takeoff and landing they have their seatbelts correctly fastened, that their door and window are both latched shut, that they're awake, that their chattels are securely disposed and that they keep their goddam hands and feet off the controls lest I smite them with a used CFS. So that's how I brief them. YMMV.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

photofly wrote:smite them with a used CFS.
A good reason to go back to paper. :)
Photofly's briefing is how I typically roll too. I really don't get into the effects on a human body in a crash and fire, etc...

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

I am pretty sure the most important thing is to point out the location of the emergency exit :mrgreen:

YMMV
LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure

Return to “Flight Training”