Confederation College, Thunder Bay

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Greysierra
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Confederation College, Thunder Bay

Post by Greysierra »

Bede wrote:I never went to Confed, but I live & flew out of YQT for years. I got my licenses privately and went to university.

The one thing I can say is that pretty much all of the grads get jobs right away. I don't think many private schools can say that. Employers no they're getting a known quantity. If my kids want to follow me into aviation, I'd tell them to go to Confed.

I heard Confed is getting rid of floats/skis and doing IFR training instead. Is this true?
Very sad to say that after this season, the float program will be suspended indefinitely. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that this option will ever make a return. Due to poor management decisions (IMO), the cost and logistics of providing the float rating has become prohibitive.

Below is the posted College release...

Instrument Flight Rating (IFR) in Progress
(February, 16 2016) - We are in the process of implementing a new Instrument Flight Rating (IFR) in the curriculum of the Flight Management Program. This certification is required for careers in the industry. Up until now, graduates had to seek this additional rating to become qualified to fly with any of the major carriers. To achieve this, we must upgrade our fleet of aircraft and make a significant investment in simulation equipment...

Subsequently, we find it necessary to suspend the float training component of the program in the summer of 2017. After the IFR implementation, we will explore the opportunity to again offer float training in a sustainable model.

Congrats to those who have received offers.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Greysierra on Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flybmw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flybmw »

sampsonmcd wrote:
JoNvAn wrote:Anyone got offer from Confederation College Aviation Flight Management Program?
Wait listed here. Does anyone know much about that? I'm trying to judge my odds of getting in. I'm from out of province though, I read they only make offers to Ontario residents first.
Doubt that is true. I received an offer right away. Not a resident of Ontario.

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sampsonmcd »

flybmw wrote:
sampsonmcd wrote:
JoNvAn wrote:Anyone got offer from Confederation College Aviation Flight Management Program?
Wait listed here. Does anyone know much about that? I'm trying to judge my odds of getting in. I'm from out of province though, I read they only make offers to Ontario residents first.
Doubt that is true. I received an offer right away. Not a resident of Ontario.
Strange..I called them the other day afterwards and they confirmed that its indeed only Ontario Residents haha. Regardless, I got into Seneca instead so I'll be going there. They seem to have a pretty decent program. The new facilities in Peterborough are pretty incredible.

http://www.senecacollege.ca/campuses/36 ... erborough/

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

It's not hard to become a resident. It takes half a day of driving around and filling out some paperwork. Seems like a silly rule.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Greysierra wrote:
Bede wrote:I never went to Confed, but I live & flew out of YQT for years. I got my licenses privately and went to university.

The one thing I can say is that pretty much all of the grads get jobs right away. I don't think many private schools can say that. Employers no they're getting a known quantity. If my kids want to follow me into aviation, I'd tell them to go to Confed.

I heard Confed is getting rid of floats/skis and doing IFR training instead. Is this true?
Very sad to say that after this season, the float program will be suspended indefinitely. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that this option will ever make a return. Due to poor management decisions (IMO), the cost and logistics of providing the float rating has become prohibitive.

Below is the posted College release...

Instrument Flight Rating (IFR) in Progress
(February, 16 2016) - We are in the process of implementing a new Instrument Flight Rating (IFR) in the curriculum of the Flight Management Program. This certification is required for careers in the industry. Up until now, graduates had to seek this additional rating to become qualified to fly with any of the major carriers. To achieve this, we must upgrade our fleet of aircraft and make a significant investment in simulation equipment...

Subsequently, we find it necessary to suspend the float training component of the program in the summer of 2017. After the IFR implementation, we will explore the opportunity to again offer float training in a sustainable model.

Congrats to those who have received offers.

Well that completely puts a fork in that "school"

What a joke, I mean come on let's be realistic, where is a new low time greenhorn confed grad more likely to find himself, in a sea/ski plane in the bush, or flying IFR. Seems confed is still trying to sell the kiddies on that 0-airline golden ticket.

Guessing they still have a non pilot guy as the dean running the aviation program?
Great when the folks running the aviation show can't even fly a 152, let alone have any experience as a working pilot :roll:

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Lots of "greenhorn" Confed pilots flying IFR up here in NWO.

C-GOYR
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C-GOYR »

I'm disappointed to hear about the suspension of the float program. I thoroughly enjoyed my float training and it undoubtedly made me a better pilot by improving my "hands and feet skill" and my PDM skills. I will always remember my time spent with Mr. Andy Hay in QNN. His knowledge of float flying is second to none and I'm forever thankful he pushed me outside my comfort zone.

In the classroom Mr. Hay was just as exceptional and didn't paint the aviation industry as fairy tale with unicorns where everyone makes the left seat at AC ( not to say other staff did). His stories and wise cracks would get everyone laughing. I hope he continues to teach because I don't think the college can ever replace him.

I certainly hope the college can find a way to keep the float program going. It was never my intention to go the float route but I'd certainly advocate for the benefits of the training.

To quote a TC personnel who was at the college to do a check ride on the CP...

"Anyone can go to Cornwall and get an IFR but no other college offers a float program"

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Sadly it looks like the float planes will get very little use there now. I asked about them this week while visiting (campus tour) and was told they might allow the 2nd years some taildragger time.

60 students accepted this round, was told they expect 30 to drop out (or be dropped) after first semester. They get their group3 IFR now, but no word on floats coming back into the program.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sampsonmcd »

JasonE wrote: 60 students accepted this round, was told they expect 30 to drop out (or be dropped) after first semester.
good luck

Last edited by sampsonmcd on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-GOYR
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C-GOYR »

Sampson, try calling admissions and find out where on the wait list you are sitting. If someone decides not to accept their offer, they go to those on the wait list starting with the person at the top of said list.

You might be in luck seeing as how there will be no floats. It might be a deal breaker for some.

I hope that helps and good luck.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

My daughter will be attending Confederation next fall. We are looking at buying a house for her and renting a few rooms. Please PM me if you are interested renting.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

You could have come up with a constructive way to stay on topic and forgo the personal attack. I know you have a strong opinion regarding the upbringing of children but how does that really pertain to this thread?
Bandaid

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

It will be a learning experience for her, she will be on the title and managing it herself. Rather than fork out monthly into someone else's pocket, she can build equity and credit rating.

ps - That is a bit of an arrogant/ignorant attitude without knowing all the facts.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Did not intend to offend you. So were you just consigning for her, with her giving the down payment and making all the mortgage/insurance/tax payments?

In my experience, without exception, all the rich kids I've seen who were handed homes, cars, etc without working for the money have not turned out as well as their peers who had to work for it, regardless of their parents income.

It's the difference between raising a habitual dependent vs a young adult.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

SuperchargedRS wrote:Did not intend to offend you. So were you just consigning for her, with her giving the down payment and making all the mortgage/insurance/tax payments?

In my experience, without exception, all the rich kids I've seen who were handed homes, cars, etc without working for the money have not turned out as well as their peers who had to work for it, regardless of their parents income.

It's the difference between raising a habitual dependent vs a young adult.
It's physically impossible to go to college/university and pay for accommodation by yourself unless you've already worked for years and saved up the money. You either have to get saddled with a student loan, or get help from your parents. I'm not sure why getting some help from your parents is worse than getting a student loan.

My university degree was completely free (paid for entirely by the UK government), plus I got a maintenance grant (free money) even though I was living with my parents at the time. So, I had it even easier than JasonE's daughter, but it didn't make me lazy or entitled.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Just because you didn't pay for it, doesn't mean it's free.

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

Please get back on topic.

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sampsonmcd »

Good school.

Last edited by sampsonmcd on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckNasty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BuckNasty »

sampsonmcd wrote:Has anyone been given an offer today? May 1st is when they are supposed to start filling seats from the waitlist.
You might get lucky this year with the floats being cancelled it could cause more to accept offers from Sault over Confed.

Lofty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lofty »

I was told I told i was top 5 on the list and have not received an offer. I'm guessing it will be more like mid may before second round offers come out.

Return to “Flight Training”