Choosing a GTA flight school for PPL?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

kilr4d
Rank 0
Rank 0

Choosing a GTA flight school for PPL?

Post by kilr4d »

I read the stickies, but those threads will have their 10th birthday this year. Are there any fresher threads that compare the pros/cons of Buttonville, Markham and Brampton?

Goals are PPL within a year....I'm 42 now and if I don't get this done I never will. Started my PPL 25 years ago; got 20 hours and didn't finish. Regrets.... :(

Objectives are recreational flying with an eye towards buying an airplane of my own. I'd probably pursue an IFR rating, but don't ever see myself needing a multi engine rating.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any information that can be offered.

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

AustinNave
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Choosing a GTA flight school for PPL?

Post by AustinNave »

I think you want to get training from GTA flight school. I want to guide you Epicflightacademy they also provide one of the best training for the beginners.

Tylerjohnston
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tylerjohnston »

Hey man!

I did about 25 hours at Toronto Airways (CYKZ) during high school before moving away to finish my training. I still rent from Toronto Airways, I would recommend them 100%. They run a excellent operation, at decent rates. I think its about $160 an hour, even for their G1000 Equipped 172, I believe its about $60-70 for an instructor. I guess the only cons would be that the North practice area is a little further (Cooks Bay), and it is controlled which can be a con/pro.

Ive never actually flown out of Markham Airport, but I know people that have. They said its nice, uncontrolled and very close to the Claremont Practice Area which is a plus for sure. I believe a little bit cheaper as well.

Unfortunately I don't have much info on Brampton Flight Centre.

I would recommend just grabbing a coffee one Saturday or Sunday and stop by Markham and Buttonville to check out their operations. The guys in dispatch are very helpful, and I'm sure they be happy to show you around a bit!

Hope this helped, if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Cheers , Tyler

kilr4d
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kilr4d »

Tylerjohnston wrote:Hey man!

I did about 25 hours at Toronto Airways (CYKZ) during high school before moving away to finish my training. I still rent from Toronto Airways, I would recommend them 100%. They run a excellent operation, at decent rates. I think its about $160 an hour, even for their G1000 Equipped 172, I believe its about $60-70 for an instructor. I guess the only cons would be that the North practice area is a little further (Cooks Bay), and it is controlled which can be a con/pro.

Ive never actually flown out of Markham Airport, but I know people that have. They said its nice, uncontrolled and very close to the Claremont Practice Area which is a plus for sure. I believe a little bit cheaper as well.

Unfortunately I don't have much info on Brampton Flight Centre.

I would recommend just grabbing a coffee one Saturday or Sunday and stop by Markham and Buttonville to check out their operations. The guys in dispatch are very helpful, and I'm sure they be happy to show you around a bit!

Hope this helped, if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Cheers , Tyler
Got it. Thank you.

kilr4d
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kilr4d »

I should also add that the Island and Burlington are just too far away....spending HOURS in the car to spend an hour in the air just isn't a good idea.

To put this in perspective, Brampton is 18 minutes from my office and Buttonville is 16 minutes from my house.

Thanks.

Tylerjohnston
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tylerjohnston »

I would say go for Toronto Airways then, I was driving over a half an hour to train at CYKZ. Worth it I think. Take a drive over, like I said. They're more than willing to help you out and get you well on your way.

They've got a pilot shop there as well, good for last minute charts and publications. As well as training books! Little pricey, but it's convienant. That's where I buy all mine.
Cheers

Snare_TS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Snare_TS »

If you have questions on Brampton pm me.

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

Brampton is the place to go. Who know's what's in the future at Buttonville. Good mix of training and instructors at Brampton. I've been at Brampton for 18 years, meet me for a coffee and I'll give you a tour. PM me.....

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

Pm me if you want an info on Markham. Unofficial word is that YKZ will close by Nov this year, so if you want to train there it would be prudent to finish it quick.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

What I was told today third hand from an owner based in Buttonville is not as long a date as DtFM suggests. I'd check this carefully before committing. I like Brampton, I learned there in the late '70's. They are the only flying club who own their own airport - so it will always be there!

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

I know it's a 45 minute drive, but flygha.com is really well run and maintained, and it's definitely worth the drive. Rates are also pretty good. And the practice area is right there.

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

flygha.com is very limited compared to the other schools around, only 2 aircraft and 3 instructors, no multi engine and no CPL instruction. There rates are even higher then Brampton for a 172!

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

Any thoughts of Durham flight ctr? out of Oshawa.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Skymark wrote:flygha.com is very limited compared to the other schools around, only 2 aircraft and 3 instructors, no multi engine and no CPL instruction. There rates are even higher then Brampton for a 172!
Do you need more than one instructor? And are you doing your CPL before your PPlL?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

photofly wrote:
Skymark wrote:flygha.com is very limited compared to the other schools around, only 2 aircraft and 3 instructors, no multi engine and no CPL instruction. There rates are even higher then Brampton for a 172!
Do you need more than one instructor? And are you doing your CPL before your PPlL?
Things have changed there recently. A second 172 is coming on and the rates on the DA20 are reasonable. CPL instruction has started and I think they have added a few more instructors.

kilr4d
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kilr4d »

Ended up at Brampton with a GREAT instructor. Happy as hell. Great people; aircraft; practice area, etc.

HiLo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by HiLo »

kilr4d wrote:Ended up at Brampton with a GREAT instructor. Happy as hell. Great people; aircraft; practice area, etc.

Thanks for keeping us posted (pun intended). How's the place these days? I find that place busier than Pearson some days.

MV2001
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MV2001 »

I did my PPL and CPL at Markham and had no issues with them. It's close to the practice area, you get great uncontrolled aerodrome practice, but if you want controlled airport practice, you have to fly to Oshawa.

Return to “Flight Training”