Class 4 Instructor moving to Orlando?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

nateyP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Class 4 Instructor moving to Orlando?

Post by nateyP »

I am a newly minted Class 4 instructor... I have spent a fair bit of time researching the process of me converting to an FAA CFI, as I have a property/car in Orlando and flying in the sun seems a lot more enjoyable than Edmonton winters.
After plenty of google searches I have come to the understanding that they will acknowledge my CPL/MEL/IR but there is no conversion/credit given for the instructor rating? The information on this conversion is sparse, although I have read a tonne on CFI's converting to Canadian Instructor ratings, which requires the Recommend/Written/Oral/Flight Test.
I haven't been able to contact a FSDO as it is the weekend and as a fresh AvCanada member I thought I would toss this bone out to the dogs.
Has anyone done this conversion? I'll worry about my work Visa after I get a solid answer on what is required of me to swap my rating over in the states.

Many Thanks - NateyP
---------- ADS -----------

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Class 4 Instructor moving to Orlando?

Post by shamrock104 »

Unfortunately you will need to do Initial CFI course,along with written. Tailwheels etc come well recommended in that area.Their oral exams are very intense.

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sampsonmcd »

If you find out how to get a US work visa, please share. I have been trying to figure out how to get a job in florida too.

RNAV30
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RNAV30 »

nateyP wrote:I am a newly minted Class 4 instructor... I have spent a fair bit of time researching the process of me converting to an FAA CFI, as I have a property/car in Orlando and flying in the sun seems a lot more enjoyable than Edmonton winters.
After plenty of google searches I have come to the understanding that they will acknowledge my CPL/MEL/IR but there is no conversion/credit given for the instructor rating? The information on this conversion is sparse, although I have read a tonne on CFI's converting to Canadian Instructor ratings, which requires the Recommend/Written/Oral/Flight Test.
I haven't been able to contact a FSDO as it is the weekend and as a fresh AvCanada member I thought I would toss this bone out to the dogs.
Has anyone done this conversion? I'll worry about my work Visa after I get a solid answer on what is required of me to swap my rating over in the states.

Many Thanks - NateyP

oookay there Capt Nathan

mcdemba
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mcdemba »

Good evening NateyP. I have been a flight instructor for the last 4 years in the Orlando/Daytona area and I recently moved to Canada because my american work permit expired. The first thing you ll have to do is to work on the American Medical Certificate that can be done in Canada (I m sure you worked on that already). Then you ll have to prepare the conversion exam that can be taken in many testing center that are FAA certified in the USA and pretty easy to find. To prepare for the exam I recommend "GLEIM" (number one in the industry) that will provide you with questions that most likely will be very similar to the actual questions you ll find in the test (www.gleim.com) You ll also find all the step you ll have to follow to get it done. Then I have to tell how things are and what you can expect in Orlando. In the USA the Instructor Rating is a separate license that will come in the mail. And you ll do ONE checkride for each ratings (Single Engine, Multi Engine, Instrument). That s a total of three Practical Test. The Initial Practical test will be the first one you ll work on and the other two will be addons to the initial instructor certificate. The first Instructor Rating you ll work is referred to as "the initial". It is one of the hardest pilot Practical Examinations in the world as the total length of the examination can last as long as 8hrs to 12hrs and the amount of material covered is intensive. I am trying to scare you but just giving you all the information. Also, training for "the initial" should be done in a school specialized in such training as you can find yourself working on it for six months. I know you already have a Instructor Rating but the main reason for the usually lengthy Instructor is that most school don't know how to do those. The only school I would recommend is one of the few schools in Florida specialized in such training "AMERICAN FLYERS" located in pompano beach. You ll be able to finish it quick in a very intense and fast paced training that will last only a few weeks. Then you ll be able to work your behind off as most flight schools are loosing their instructors to Regional Airlines. logging 120 hrs a month will be no problem guaranteed. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck

Return to “Flight Training”