Brampton Flying Club

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Being a class 4 has SFA to do with ones suitability to teach someone how to fly a twin.

Some class 4's could be far better than a lot of class 1's.
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Shtinky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Shtinky »

cyyz wrote:But you don't need an instructor rating to teach Multi, floats, or IFR...

That's why I don't get the logic of only a class 2 can teach it.
I work at a flight school where the CFI will not allow you to teach multi-IFR, regardless of your class number, "unless you deserve it". If my students want to do multi-IFR training with me then they should have the right to do so. I dont want to be awarded something when its rightfully mine.

Springbok
Rank 5
Rank 5

Brampton Flying Club

Post by Springbok »

This is for Mig29:

PM me if you want some solid and professional advice on BFC.

There are a number of AvCanada chat room cruisers who are prepared to offer negative and unproductive criticism about Flight Training institutions. This should not be exhibited on an open forum. It is unprofessional and all they are effectively doing is advertising their own lack of integrity and overdose of bad judgement.

Many of them are the same Glory Boys who disrespectfully and rudely slammed a Television news reporter (Natalie) who approached the AvCanada Forum for some straight-up advice.

They are very effectively discrediting AvCanada and themselves.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE WILLING TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE: CARL BOENISH

Not to be confused with Springjob, Handjob, Blowjob or any other job......except a flyingjob!
LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Brampton Flying Club

Post by LostinRotation »

Springbok wrote:This is for Mig29:

PM me if you want some solid and professional advice on BFC.

There are a number of AvCanada chat room cruisers who are prepared to offer negative and unproductive criticism about Flight Training institutions. This should not be exhibited on an open forum. It is unprofessional and all they are effectively doing is advertising their own lack of integrity and overdose of bad judgement.
Actually lack of integrity would be having information that could save this guy alot of time, money and frustration and not sharing it. I rarely comment on other schools, but in this case I made an exception due to my personal experiences there.

Springbok wrote:Many of them are the same Glory Boys who disrespectfully and rudely slammed a Television news reporter (Natalie) who approached the AvCanada Forum for some straight-up advice.

They are very effectively discrediting AvCanada and themselves.
While I didn't totally agree with what was said or how it was said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the right to express it....as I did.
That's pretty much the bottom line here isn't it ?
Besides...if it wasn't for word of mouth, alot of schools, employers and even employees could do what ever they wanted within the industry to newcomers for as long as they wanted.

Consider this a "check and balance"

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

ca380
Rank 0
Rank 0

BFC

Post by ca380 »

There seems to be alot of negative comments here towards BFC. To "idriveplane" do you know the CFI personally? I do and I assure you he is not a dick. Brampton is very organized and has great staff. There is always someone there to help if you have a problem, overall a great group of people.

ca380
Rank 0
Rank 0

BFC 2

Post by ca380 »

Mig to answer all of your questions: They are very fair to the staff and all of the instructors are a great group of people. lol If you guys are reading this! They are very busy, even in the winter time especially with the Flight College. The maintenance guys are great, always there to help if you need something, same goes for flight line. As for Air Caledon, it's down to a couple 152's and a few 172's in the fleet. They are NOT hiring which I know for a fact.

Luscombe
Rank 5
Rank 5

BFC Maintenance

Post by Luscombe »

I neglected to mention in my previous post that the maintenance department at BFC are definitely second to none. Extremely knowedgeable AME's and apprentices.

In addition, I found them to be invaluable explaining things to students that created a better, more "well-rounded" student. I even had some of my commercial students spend a day or two getting greasy with the techs to understand what they go through. Although some thought it as a waste of time, most found it quite informative and fun. They were quite closely supervised so they wouldn't hurt themselves (or break anything) which made it a great learning environment.

bizjet_mania
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by bizjet_mania »

As someone who has spent 4 years there let me give you a good rundown of things.

Positive: Good facilities, lounge is nice, they have a pilot shop there although its more expensive than the pilot shops at Pearson

Mechanically, Ive never had a problem with any of their planes and Ive flown every single 172 in their fleet.

Not too far to fly to the practise area

The CFI I know him personally is a great guy and was one of my instructors before he became CFI.

Now for the Negative: Dispatch knows nothing.............

No ILS or VOR at airport, so wait till you have to do your multi-ifr you'll be flying 20 minutes to Waterloo and 20 minutes back at $240/hr plus instructor.

You got alot of low time inexperienced guys there that think they wrote the book on flight instruction, there are few really honest and good instructors and they are slowly leaving for better jobs.

NEEDS A CONTROL TOWER, Ive had to sit 0.2 at the runway because it was just too busy, some guys dont even fly a proper circuit.

Their rates are higher than what you'll find around and you got instructors that will milk you every penny so beware.

And thats the good and the bad of BFC in an unbiased view

monkeyspankmasterflex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by monkeyspankmasterflex »

Anytime I pop my head into the Flt Instr Forum people are talking about BFC. They must have a great PR staff there, assuming any press is good press.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

monkeyspankmasterflex wrote:Anytime I pop my head into the Flt Instr Forum people are talking about BFC. They must have a great PR staff there, assuming any press is good press.
It's not ALL we talk about!

Shtinky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Shtinky »

bizjet_mania wrote:
1. Positive: Good facilities, lounge is nice, they have a pilot shop there although its more expensive than the pilot shops at Pearson

2. Not too far to fly to the practise area

3. The CFI I know him personally is a great guy and was one of my instructors before he became CFI.

4. Dispatch knows nothing.............

5. No ILS or VOR at airport, so wait till you have to do your multi-ifr you'll be flying 20 minutes to Waterloo and 20 minutes back at $240/hr plus instructor.

6. You got alot of low time inexperienced guys there that think they wrote the book on flight instruction, there are few really honest and good instructors and they are slowly leaving for better jobs.

7. NEEDS A CONTROL TOWER, Ive had to sit 0.2 at the runway because it was just too busy, some guys dont even fly a proper circuit.

8. Their rates are higher than what you'll find around and you got instructors that will milk you every penny so beware.
1. Yup you're right!
2. True
3. True as well. CFI seems like a people person. He smiles and makes one feel welcome. A people oriented CFI is an asset because he or she sets the 'tone' for the entire company.
4. Ooohh!!!! Ouch!!!! Try sugar coating your comment first. I flew to Brampton once to pick up a friend for a plane ride. When we came back down I went into the BFC. The dispatchers were friendly and helpful.
5. This is the same for most of the flying clubs. However during those 20 minutes there are other things which you might do. ie simulate an engine fire or failure.
6. This is a snapshot of any flight school.
7. Try sitting on the ground for 0.4 hrs despite a control tower being in place.
8. The rates are higher? Hhmm!!! Maybe. Instructors who will take every penny from you? There's always one in every school.

av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

I don't want to drag this topic on but I'm just curious to know what the instructor conditions are like. Pay? Flying hrs/month? Easy to get student's or do you have to buy a set of knee pads?

Thanks

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I'm going to be in the area next month. Methinks I'll take an "intro" flight and see if there's any hope of me learning to fly? I'll get back to you'sall!

Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Idriveplane »

There seems to be alot of negative comments here towards BFC. To "idriveplane" do you know the CFI personally? I do and I assure you he is not a dick. Brampton is very organized and has great staff
I had to deal with him on a serious matter one on one and know for a fact that he isn't the type of person that he appears to be. I'll end it at that

Bliss
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bliss »

did some training there in the late 90's, walked in and asked about multi-ifr training to someone. Once i mentioned that my present job was flying a beaver/otter/185's and i already had 1500 hours they gave me the " oh well then you just want to get it done quick " line.

Was outta there in a month with my multi-ifr and about 5 grand less in my pocket. had the honour of flying with Rick. (great guy, did my multi ride and we spent the whole time talking radial engines)

overall good experience, but like any training school they try and hose you for your money when you walk thru the door.

I can still remember the look on young "maverick's" face behind the counter when he asked me if I had done any other flying besides private and commercial. He almost had a cow when i told him i saved up for my training over the summer flying floats in the bush seeing he was about the same age as me and making peanuts for instructing.

He's still a good friend but i felt sorry for those instructors there, lot's of them around and not a lot of money to be paid out. But i imagine most flying schools are the same.

Propane, propane
Chaffey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chaffey »

http://www.bfcunderground.com/
I used to fly with BFC in Pembroke ontario, great instructors. I also added a post to avcanada about things that went on with brampton, it got taken off in 4 days.. I wonder how long this post will last. I heard a lot of stuff about them, but I've had some experiences and a lot of GOOD ones. Its to bad that ALL the instructors I had are no longer with BFC, or are about to leave BFC.. I liked my instructors there a lot. Its an okay school if you ask me

Chaffey

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Is Christine still there? I'll come in for an intro flight of my own, how long do they keep you on file?

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

I only make the trip there to rent KDD, and all I have to say is:

1. The cub is a blast
2. Being in/around the circuit at NC3 is frustrating, especially when everyone wants to do a 5 mile extended downwind. You guys know what I mean.

Navajo-dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Navajo-dude »

Dyck Hertz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dyck Hertz »

did me private and mulit training there. not bad place...but is ekspensive espechully for multi. i chose to get multiifr somewher else :roll:

Return to “Flight Training”