femme's of the sky

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

are females given the same respect and attitudes as males?

yes
42%
no
58%

Total votes: 50

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

femme's of the sky

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Alright,

im a just about to turn nineteen year old female, who has just completed her first flight.. and aspirations of everything aviation....i have been reading and reading on here...(when not in my flight training mannual or "from the ground up ... lol.. newbies bibles) and have a simple question, mostly for curiosity sake, for both the guys and the gals of flight....

what is it like getting into this industry as a female...?

i have heard a few different things so far, but would love a broader response from anyone who will give it.

to the guys : whats it like working with a female pilot versus a male, (i wonder your general attitudes towards it)

to the gals : what do you find it to be like working in a still, male dominated (though equalling) industry?

not that anything you could say will thawrt my intentions, im stronger then most 19 year old girls in both will and heart .. but im excited for your answers!

-SYT
:D
---------- ADS -----------

Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

pm petite to get into the Ladies Night forum. You'll get lots of info and encouragement there.

I've seen guys who think women don't belong in airplanes, and others that think they do. Personally, I think if anyone passes the required tests, they have the right to fly- guys or gals.

Good luck with the flying!

-istp :D

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

SYT-YYZ...

My two best instructors and two of the best pilots I ever met were female, I am gender blind when it comes to flying...

...but I am not blind away from airplanes..

I hope that helps. :mrgreen:

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
heron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by heron »

At the last two flight schools i went to, the CFI was female. I'm a female pilot and I've never encountered any problems during my three years of flying. In general, no one really cares anymore. As long as you've proven your committment to it, people are very supportive.

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

so far a postitive response in the verbal replies.. but look at the poll results! i would love to hear from some of you who say no.. and why...

not to say that they are treated negatively .. the poll asks if they are treated differently.. and the post asks how so ;)

also i dont need a sugar coated "nah things are great" response only . its a curiosity question not one i am using to make a choice..... (aviation is no sugar coating kinda cough drop heheheh)

-syt

Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"

Post by Kilo-Kilo »

Since women are already acustomed to being underpaid, flying is the perfect job for them..........j/k.

petite
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by petite »

I'd like to say you won't get treated differently by some in the industry but that would be a bold faced lie. I've had people get into my face saying that they didn't want to work with a "little girl" like me and others that were tickled pink that women were working with them because they believed it was a nicer and more mature atmosphere at work. Things are better for this generation. The people I like the best are the ones that recognize abilities and attitudes rather dwell on one's gender, race or sexual orientation. It takes a more resilient person to survive in aviation - male or female - and I wish you luck.

As istp said PM me if you want to talk with other women in the industry - coast to coast to coast.

The things I love are not HR approved
"I hate you so much right now." - sar
SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

Ive just started my journey too and I must say everyone Ive met so far is awsome! No problems for this girl so far!

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Cat Driver wrote:SYT-YYZ...

I am gender blind when it comes to flying...
If only that were the case with all pilots Cat.

The state of respect given to women in this county is still appallingly low, those of you who voted "YES" either choose to be blind to it, or haven't been around enough women pilots.

The situations in many "crew house" type settings is still brutal, and in the cockpit women still need to prove themselves far more than their male counterparts. Yes, there are poor female pilots, but in my experience so far, I'd say that about 70% of my fellow male pilots either should not be flying at all, or should have a really good autopilot to help out.

So, if you are one of the guys routinely working with women, please take a moment to look at your actions, and make your best effort to treat them the way you would like to be treated.

STL[/u][/i]

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

sky's the limit wrote:

The state of respect given to women in this county is still appallingly low, those of you who voted "YES" either choose to be blind to it, or haven't been around enough women pilots.
From the guys, I'd say you'd get less respect, from the corps, equal, but treatment, the guys won't treat you any better but the corps sure will, despite all the bs in the a/c forum where the female pilot was allowed into A/C and some guys "supported" her and made comments how she was competent, etc, etc, but 10000 applications from males who have higher time, better equipment etc who didn't get in also made comments.... "equality" works very well for women.

If you have 20/20, go to the CF, you'll get in.. Oh, yeah, they also happen to have a "womens physical" there too... "equality" at it's finest...

That's my opinion. No more no less, nothing personal or the likes, just a blatant opinion..

Also, you'll have several Womens support groups that can help you financially and give you advice...

I think women have the "advantage," they just need to put up with their resentful male peers...

mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

You get the same treatment as the guys from most pilots:

If your good, we'll joke around and make fun of you.

If your crappy to the point of being dangerous, we'll make fun of you.

The only time I treat women in the industry differently is when they ask for special treatment. Most are great, but there are those few who pull the "You're just being mean to me cause I'm a girl" crap when they screw up and you tell them about it. Admit when you screw up (cause we all f-up sometimes) and learn from it, you'll have very few problems. (that goes for guys too)

And for all those guys who don't want more chicks as crew... have you not noticed the sausage fest? We need more chicks!!!!! (Enter Brokeback related comment here)

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
A. Thompson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by A. Thompson »

Can't help but wonder if one's gender might bias how one votes, not to mention the accuracy of the assessment in the first place.

Always have an out
Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

cyyz wrote:
sky's the limit wrote:

From the guys, I'd say you'd get less respect, from the corps, equal, but treatment, the guys won't treat you any better but the corps sure will, despite all the bs in the a/c forum where the female pilot was allowed into A/C and some guys "supported" her and made comments how she was competent, etc, etc, but 10000 applications from males who have higher time, better equipment etc who didn't get in also made comments.... "equality" works very well for women.

If you have 20/20, go to the CF, you'll get in.. Oh, yeah, they also happen to have a "womens physical" there too... "equality" at it's finest...

That's my opinion. No more no less, nothing personal or the likes, just a blatant opinion..

Also, you'll have several Womens support groups that can help you financially and give you advice...

I think women have the "advantage," they just need to put up with their resentful male peers...
I myself happen to be a female pilot and I see where alot of guys do learn to resent women in the industry. We should be striving for equal treatment not special treatment. I would be very angry if I was hired by a company to later find out that I was hired over more qualified men just to meet the companies required quota.

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

I must agree - I do not want any special treatment- If I am hired I want it to be my skill, not because I happen to be a women. I find that insulting really. If Im not up to par - DONT HIRE ME!!!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Yeh, I'm all for equality at work and after work...

And outside of the work place...if any women think I'm what they want I will submit to their desires.. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

mellow_pilot wrote: If you're crappy to the point of being dangerous, we'll make fun of you.
So THAT's the reasoning behind all of the jokes pointed at me back in Sault College!

-istp :lol:

AntiNakedMan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AntiNakedMan »

While I've had female instructors, most of my life in aviation has been spent working with small bush ops and I find that the companies I 've worked with don't really hire women because our clients probably don't feel comfortable with a woman driver. It makes a big difference when there is no bulkhead/cockpit door keeping people from seeing what really happens. And when it's a 2-person crew that can change people's comfort level as well.

I personally don't have a problem with female pilots, I know Perimeter has some soft voices working in their planes, and I've fuelled a metro or two with a female left seat. A job is a job, do it right, sadly in the bush some of your pax may still not like women that think, let alone fly.

Anti

"It's not the size of the hammer, it's how you nail" - Kanga
Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

AntiNakedMan wrote:While I've had female instructors, most of my life in aviation has been spent working with small bush ops and I find that the companies I 've worked with don't really hire women because our clients probably don't feel comfortable with a woman driver. It makes a big difference when there is no bulkhead/cockpit door keeping people from seeing what really happens. And when it's a 2-person crew that can change people's comfort level as well.

I personally don't have a problem with female pilots, I know Perimeter has some soft voices working in their planes, and I've fuelled a metro or two with a female left seat. A job is a job, do it right, sadly in the bush some of your pax may still not like women that think, let alone fly.

Anti
It is very true that alot of people don't feel comfortable with a female pilot in the "bush pilot" role...hehe no pun intended. I flew single pilot IFR out of YXL, and I went quite a few places where I ran into people that didn't want to get on the airplane with me because I'm a girl and I'm small..they doubted my ability to get us from point A to B...after a few months though they got used to seeing me and it wasn't an issue anymore! :)

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Glad to see more and more women in aviation. The ones I've dealt with have all been very proffesional and have been at par in all areas the male counterparts were.

I will however stress the equal rights issues. There should be no exceptions for anyone, male or female, black or white, straight or gay.
Whats fair is fair for everyone :wink:

Antinakedman From my exposure a lot of the locals prefered to fly with the two or three women folk to flying with just the normal all male crews.

Best wishes and support to any of the womenfolk out there trying to make a go in aviation. It's a rough ride for all of us.

Cheers!

squawk 7600
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by squawk 7600 »

I haven't noticed much of a difference really, other than the odd female pilot increasing the sexiness in her voice to get something from ATC. Makes me laugh when the controller happens to be a female also and does not grant the request. That's when I turn to her and say "perhaps I should have put on the sexy voice and asked for direct". The response is usually a grin and a slug to the shoulder.

Return to “Flight Training”