Flight Test

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Flight Test

Post by peeelot »

Just wondering if anyone has been through a Instructor Flight test in the last while. I'm on OCT 19th any tips would be great. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

WRX
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WRX »

Hello there.

I did mine last week. and got a job 3 seconds later.

All i can say is have a look at the instructor's guide again before you present the PGI. I felt that they were looking for everything what it said there.

I think that's about it.

Good luck. :wink:

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Don't be freaked if the examiner turns the flight test in a lesson for you. Generally, the examiners know that you can teach already, since your Class 1 couldn't sign the recommend if you couldn't, so they take it as an opportunity for you to learn.

The flight test for the initial instructor rating is very simple. The examiner asks you to teach a lesson, you set it up, teach the ground briefing, then you go up and you demonstrate it in the air. That's it thats all.

All my Instructor Rating Flight Tests have been the easiest, and most enjoyable flight tests to date.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Right Seat Captain wrote: All my Instructor Rating Flight Tests have been the easiest, .
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=11186
c-hris wrote:honesty, the instructor rating was the most difficult rating to obtain.

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

yyz,

There's a big difference between completing the training involved with the course, and doing the flight test. In the end, the flight test is usually the easiest part of the whole deal.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

cyyz wrote:
Right Seat Captain wrote: All my Instructor Rating Flight Tests have been the easiest, .
c-hris wrote:honesty, the instructor rating was the most difficult rating to obtain.
I have to agree with this statement. I too think the instructor rating was the most difficult part of my training, but the flight test was the easiest I've ever done.

The preparation of the lesson plans, and figuring out how to teach the basics, and go back to first principles in everything was a difficult thing to do, and not to mention very time consuming, But once you've done this, and practiced teaching each of these lessons to your instructor, it's not so hard anymore.

All the examiner asks you to do is go through one of these lessons that you've already done, and you have your notes right there in front of you!

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

*submits*

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Generally, if you get to the aircraft, you've got it made. There are a few bizarre isolated cases of people failing instructor flight tests in the aircraft, but not many.

Most instructor candidates come to grief on the ground. For example, you really should know the difference between preparatory ground instruction, and a pre-flight briefing. An astonishing number of instructor candidates don't.

Also, the standards for a class 4 and 1 are very, very different. A 4 will be permitted to drone endlessly in a monotone voice without ever looking at the student to see if he's still interested, or even still in the classroom. This is unacceptable for a 1, obviously.

As long as you show up with a complete book of lesson plans, you've got it made.

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

I did my instructor flight test about 2 months ago, and found it to be far easier then the other flight tests i have done. It was a relaxing environment and my examiner was never rushed me...I too got a job shortly after my flight test :)

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Ok here's a different twist. I have never failed a flight test before in my life and went for my Class 4 and the jerk from Transport failed me for some pretty stupid reasons. He said that I held the ailerons opposite to the wind (yeah right) on take-off , winds were 70 degrees off to the right at 15kts. Only a moron would hold in left aileron under those conditions and in a buck 50 we would have had quite the ride using those inputs given the winds. Then he stated I used improper inputs to recover from a spin, again bullshit! Neutral ailerons and opposite rudder to stop the spin then ease out of the ensuing dive. (entered into from power off stall) Pretty straight forward if you ask me. This guy was clearly out to fail me for what ever reason he had, perhaps because he was younger than I and wanted to prove something, who knows. Anyways it destroyed my confidence in Transport Canada that is for sure.

I had almost 1000 hours of PIC experience when I took this ride and my class one was shocked to say the least when I told him I failed the ride. I was so pissed off at the obvious travesty that I threw my books down and said &*ck it! Hell my initial Group I ride was a breeze and this asshole tried to play god on what should have been a very simple flight test. Guess he has a chip on his shoulder or something.

On the bright side he complimented me on the ground portion, said it was extremely well done.

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Flight Test

Post by Switchfoot »

peeelot wrote:Just wondering if anyone has been through a Instructor Flight test in the last while. I'm on OCT 19th any tips would be great. Thanks
Have your lessons plans/PGI's/briefings well organized and know the flight test standards. You will do fine. The test itself is rather easy; echoing the thoughts of others, you will find it partly a lesson yourself.

The obstacle I faced when I started teaching was that I didn't feel qualified to teach, however, through time and a few successful recommends for solo or flight test, you will find that instructing is a rewarding experience and also a good stepping stone for your future in aviation! Good luck!

Switchfoot. 8)

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

N2- which region?

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Like any large bureaucratic organization, 9 out of 10 inspectors at Transport are generally ok guys (sorry .).

It's the 5 to 10% of *ssholes that give the organization a bad name.

Looks like you just learned this lesson.

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Hedley I admit I have done rides with some really great TC guys.

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!

Return to “Flight Training”