Good IFR study materials

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Avrocanada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Good IFR study materials

Post by Avrocanada »

Hey guys,

I've tried to do some research on this, and it is definitely all opinion based... However, what have you found to be the best resource to study for IFR. I have the weather manuals and the IPM. I wanted to do Aerocourse but sadly it's not in Edmonton until March and I don't want to wait that long. Will the Aerocourse IFR workbook still be usable without the course? What have you guys found to be some good materials?

Thanks guys!

Avrocanada
---------- ADS -----------

itswhatsfordinner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Good IFR study materials

Post by itswhatsfordinner »

I'd say the cap gen and the AIM rac 6-10 are a definite must.
I actually quite liked the IFR sharper edge publication as additional material. It brought everything together.

Good Luck!

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

The Dauntless INRAT_Theory app is pretty good. Lots of questions and formats to help study.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

The Dauntless app is great, as is the Aerocourse INRAT book. If you can run through those pretty confidently you'll be fine for the INRAT. Then the rest is hands on practice in your training. Download a VOR tuning app and play around with that, you can also download the Garmin GPS trainer and mess around with that a bit on how to load approaches, sequence the legs etc.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

This book is excellent
https://rodmachado.com/products/rod-mac ... nual-ebook
Some of it is more geared towards flying in USA, however most concepts still apply and those that do not can be researched.
It is not the book I'd recommend for initial IFR study, but more of improvement of knowledge down the road.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

I can strongly recommend the study materials by both Pro-IFR at Boundary Bay, and the content of Harv's Air Service at St Andrews.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

Cap Gen, AIM RAC 6-10, there are a few useful questions on Dauntless but its not worth the money spent common sens and some experience will get you throught it.

Wanna know more PM.

Best of luck.

Avrocanada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avrocanada »

Thanks guys this is great! Would it be worth it to buy the online ground school or self study? I guess its not needed and would come down to study habits of the individual. I assume as long as i'm following the TC IFR study guide and the references you all mentioned I could probably hold off on the online ground school?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Avrocanada wrote:Thanks guys this is great! Would it be worth it to buy the online ground school or self study? I guess its not needed and would come down to study habits of the individual. I assume as long as i'm following the TC IFR study guide and the references you all mentioned I could probably hold off on the online ground school?
I didn't spend any money, just read the AIM, GAP GEN, old (free download) IPM and ACWM. I scraped by with about 73%, but probably could have done better if I had memorized more things like DME accuracy. The problem is there is so much reading material, it's difficult to know which bits to take notes on and memorize.

For the CPL I used pilottraining.ca and got 94%. If I had to do my INRAT again, I'd probably use pilottraining.ca for it as well. It has all the info you need, so you can just take notes on the bits you don't already know, then go through them to memorize it. They have videos, powerpoints and audio presentations for each topic. I just used the powerpoints, which was the most efficient way for me to learn it.

Cheftony
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cheftony »

+1 above

I used pilottraining.ca for my CPL and I am currently using it for my INRAT.

I like the way the information is summarize and the videos and practice exams are great.

Strongly recommend it so far. I will let you know once I write the INRAT in a couple of days :o

Avrocanada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avrocanada »

Cheftony wrote:+1 above

I used pilottraining.ca for my CPL and I am currently using it for my INRAT.

I like the way the information is summarize and the videos and practice exams are great.

Strongly recommend it so far. I will let you know once I write the INRAT in a couple of days :o

Woo! Good luck, let me know how it goes. I have heard good things about them. I might go ahead with them, I do prefer focused study rather than just a free for all with the books haha

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

In addition to the basic readings I used the Dauntless app. I like seeing potential questions, getting into the exam mode.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I used the Dauntless app. Plates are outdated as well as the questions regarding GPS alternates (I don't believe Transport asks these questions on the exam as they haven't been updated), but overall it worked very well. I used the Aerocourse book as well.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Get a current copy of the CAPGEN from your local FTU/club, they come free from supply stores when ordering approach plates, so you should be able to get a free one, or the last version will do. Know it inside and out, it's light and easy to carry around with you for reading while on a commute to work if you're bored.

Read the AIM section RAC 6-10 as suggested above.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... u-3092.htm

You'll be able to get through with just these listed items above as well as the IPM and weather manuals that you already have.

If you prefer having someone present to you and teach you the material with more than enough (+extra) information to do well on the exam and be knowledgeable, then the online ground school options are the way to go. Still go through the CAPGEN and AIM.

I personally used the Harv's Air (pilottraining.ca) ground school and found it to be fantastic. They do a great job of keeping the material current.... on their slides, maybe not all videos, so do follow along with their slides when watching the video presentations (there were a few regulation changes in the last year in the IFR world). There are a lot of presentations, many of which may or may not be simple review for you, which is always good. But otherwise just flip through the slides for those topics you find unnecessary so you're not wasting too much time, or skip them overall if you're confident enough with your knowledge. There is a quiz after every presentation, and a larger quiz after each section covering all the presentations from that section. At the end, there are practice exams to mock the TC one to judge how you do. No instructor recommend required for the INRAT, 70% passing score.

EXTRA TIP:
If you have ForeFlight, it's nice to get familiar with the different approach plates in your area while studying/going through the ground school... comparing what is presented to your local plates so you better understand them.

If you don't have FF, but own a tablet (android or iOS), get the FltPlan Go app. Fantastic alternative and completely free. All current publications are on it: Hi, Lo, IFR Terminal charts as well as approach plates, CFS, CAPGEN, HI/LO map legends etc.... or else get some just expired charts and plates from your local FTU/club to follow along and get familiar. You can also use the website Fltplan.com, create an account for free and get access to all approach plates (left side: NAVIGATION>DIGITAL CHARTS> and type in the airport code).

Bajszi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bajszi »

All those are great books but I didn't see the "Instrument Procedures Manual" mentioned. It's from the publishers of "From the Ground up" and it has everything you have to know for the INRAT. I also think it's a "must have" for every instrument pilots.

The Sharper Edge books are great for summarising all the info you need. Sometimes also good tips from experienced professional pilots that you can't find anywhere.

CAPGEN and AIM too, but many people already mentioned those.

**Sorry I just realised you guys mentioned IPM. Disregard my first paragraph then. :) **

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

Excellent suggestion with respect to the Instrument Procedures Manual.

Regrettably, there is a subset of pilots who aren't interested in studying anything beyond the absolute minimum they need to do the written exam with maybe a two percent over minimum pass mark and then blunder their way through the flight test on the second or third attempt.

SSH

Return to “Flight Training”