PPL - flight school Toronto

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

hybrox
Rank 0
Rank 0

PPL - flight school Toronto

Post by hybrox »

Hi guys,
As it's my first post on the forum, I'll start with a quick introduction. I'm 27 years old, arrived in Toronto 6 months ago, from France.
I started my PPL in France (about 20 hours in my record flights), and would now continue it, as I should soon have the money to complete it. For now I'm not considering a carreer in aviation, I just want to have the PPL to enjoy flying on my own.
First : I know there is already some posts with almost the same questions, but nothing recent, schools might have changed in 4 years.

My questions are :
I'm currently looking for a flying school in Toronto. I seem to have two choices : Toronto IslandAir and Markam airport. I used to flight on an airport with a 2000ft runway in a uncontrolled area.
Markham airport seems to have some really nice review, but it's more far away for me (leaving downtown without car). However they seem to also give aerobatic licence over there, I would like to get that one later on (already had an aerobatic flight, just loved it)
Toronto IslandAir : As my english isn't perfect, it might be better to start practising the radio right away. Pratice area far away from the airport, and might have to wait sometime to take off/land. Any review on this school?

Also, other quick question :
Once I get my PPL, can I go to another airport and rent a plane over there easily, or do they most of the time keep the planes to their members only?

About the ground school, I was thinking to get online courses.

Thank you :)
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: PPL - flight school Toronto

Post by PilotDAR »

Hello Hybrox,

The citizens of Toronto have systematically ridded themselves of most airports for light aircraft over the years. The Island and Markham remain. There is also Brampton Flying Club, and Oshawa, who have also survived. Only the Island is really convenient to downtown Toronto. Porter Airlines have caused it to remain open - than you Porter, and made it very busy. Busy is good, though not so much for PPL training at the most simple level.

You have the information you need to make your decision about location. Another poster here is very familiar with flight training at the Island, perhaps he will offer a comment, or answer to a question.

You should expect that post PPL, you can rent aircraft elsewhere, though club membership and a checkout may be prerequisites.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I know the Island has an instructor from France (he has both Canadian and EASA licences) so he might be able to help you effectively, and in your mother tongue too. PM me for details.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
hybrox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hybrox »

Thank you for your reply :)
I think I will go for Toronto Island then. If someone have a feedback regarding this school, I would take :)
Regarding the online ground school, I was thinking to go with pilottraining.ca which seem to be one of the best one. What do you think about it? Any recommendations? As the price is pretty high, I just want to make sure before starting it.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

hybrox wrote:Thank you for your reply :)
I think I will go for Toronto Island then. If someone have a feedback regarding this school, I would take :)
Regarding the online ground school, I was thinking to go with pilottraining.ca which seem to be one of the best one. What do you think about it? Any recommendations? As the price is pretty high, I just want to make sure before starting it.
If you're going to a flight school, they'll most likely have an in-house ground school programme. It's usually better to have someone teach than try to listen to a computer. Pilot Training.ca is an excellent resource too, but make sure your flight school will accept that as the ground school required. Either way, ask your flight school or flight instructor

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It's not your flight school's option to "disallow" a ground school programme that Transport Canada accepts.

As for what's better for you - that depends on many things. I'm not aware of any "usually" that applies in this situation. Some ground school instructors teach very poorly, and material that they barely know.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
hybrox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hybrox »

Indeed both of them have an in-house ground school program. They also both approve online courses as long as it's a ground school programme that TC accepts.
So I think I will stick withe the online option. Today I got my TC medical exam, so I'm good to go for sure. I was just waiting on that thing before moving on :)

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

I second the Island option. Great Flight School!

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
tdotguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tdotguy »

which school did you end up going to ? I am planning to start my ppl at island air next month , looking for feedback

Return to “Flight Training”