TC English proficiency test scenarios/samples

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

markaffandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

TC English proficiency test scenarios/samples

Post by markaffandie »

Good day folks !

I'm going to take "TC English proficiency test" soon in Toronto , i have downloaded the test taker guide and went over it , but it doesn't have much sample for the test
I wasn't able to find any samples or scenarios for the test on google as well .

so I'm wondering if you can share your scenarios and samples for the test here ?

Also, do u think the ICAO English test samples would be any good if I use it as a samples for the test ?

Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: TC English proficiency test scenarios/samples

Post by lhalliday »

Don't sweat it. You're not interviewing to be an actor at Stratford.

The whole point is being able to express yourself in something resembling English. You won't have time to look stuff up on google when you're in the cockpit!

...laura

markaffandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by markaffandie »

Guys, please keep your off-topic answers/Intuitive info away .

Last edited by markaffandie on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Transport Canada is concerned about students "gaming" the system by preparing for the scenarios. They actually consider it cheating to have advance notice of the topics for conversation.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
markaffandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by markaffandie »

I have never heard of that before , but I did not ask for the topics for conversation. and I'm not willing to game/cheat or even study the samples, I just asked to see a sample just to know some information about the map's questions .

thanks for your reply though

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

There's no preparing for this test. You'll be presented with some scenarios and asked questions about them, and are expected to give reasonable answers to those questions. It's not more complicated than that.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

markaffandie wrote:Guys, please keep your off-topic answers/Intuitive info away .
Well that's rude...

But, Laura is right. You just need to be able to express yourself in coherent English to get a pass. When you sit down to do the test, your examiner will likely tell you that you only need to answer in plain English - no need for aviation lingo.

It is bloody easy, don't sweat it.

markaffandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by markaffandie »

Thank you guys ,

Guys, the whole point behind my question is not to "gaming" or memorizing the scenarios of the tests ,However I feel anxious about using the maps questions "routine Questions "
as I can't read the maps -- i have not start my training yet--. ,and i know there is a question I'm gonna use the maps to answer it .

thanks again

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

Maybe you should start your flight training and get an idea what sort of communication is involved?

There are lots of excellent aviation videos on the internet that illustrate pilot communication. Have you watched any of them?

...laura

markaffandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by markaffandie »

Laura ,thanks for your reply

Maybe you should start your flight training and get an idea what sort of communication is involved?
yeah , i would do so , but it's one of the school's requirements to get into the program.
There are lots of excellent aviation videos on the internet that illustrate pilot communication. Have you watched any of them?
yes , i have been watching videos for pilot training , ICAO English test , Air crash investigation etc.... , none of them has anything to do with reading the maps

Thanks again.

Last edited by markaffandie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

The language proficiency test has SFA to do with aviation. Can you speak English? Yea or Nay? Can you speak relatively fluent conversational English? Yea or Nay? Can you speak in a way that allows you to effectively communicate what the hell you are on about, or allow you to get whatever information across to the listener? Yea or Nay?

It's really as simple as that.

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

are you using google translate to communicate on this page?

The english test is to see if you can communicate in english. The map test will be something like this:

the examiner will show you a map with a landmark or airport on it

Examiner: "another pilot on your frequency says " I am 5 miles Northwest of XXX airport, 5000' inbound." Show me where on the map this pilot is"

As stated above, it is not a test of aviation lingo or terminology. Its a test to see if you can speak and understand english

markaffandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by markaffandie »

thanks for your reply.
NO, Nevertheless , I'm not a native English speaker , but why you said so ?

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

markaffandie wrote:NO, Nevertheless , I'm not a native English speaker , but why you said so ?
You're using English at (at least) an ICAO "operational" level. I don't see what you're so worried about.

Like most references in TC documents "March Airport" is based on a real airport...
"March Airport"
"March Airport"
SAM_0860 (1).jpg (79.58 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
...laura

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

markaffandie wrote:thanks for your reply.
NO, Nevertheless , I'm not a native English speaker , but why you said so ?
For me, The english test was a conversation with my examiner. If you can get through a 5 minute conversation with him (or her) in english, then you should pass.

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

The easiest and most efficient way to pass the TC English Proficiency test is to provide all your responses in English.

If you can do that you are setting yourself up for success.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

markaffandie, I think after you've taken the test you'll laugh about how worried you were before it. As others have commented, the English you've demonstrated in this thread (if you're not running it all through a translator) has demonstrated you'll do just fine.

Yes, the theme of the conversation is aviation but the point of it is just intelligible interaction and there are no wrong answers in the subject matter, or at least there weren't when it was first introduced.

markaffandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by markaffandie »

maturepilot83 wrote:The easiest and most efficient way to pass the TC English Proficiency test is to provide all your responses in English.

If you can do that you are setting yourself up for success.
of course my responses gonna be in English , but I'm eager to know is it possible to provide the answers in another language !!!!!
lownslow wrote:markaffandie, I think after you've taken the test you'll laugh about how worried you were before it. As others have commented, the English you've demonstrated in this thread (if you're not running it all through a translator) has demonstrated you'll do just fine.

Yes, the theme of the conversation is aviation but the point of it is just intelligible interaction and there are no wrong answers in the subject matter, or at least there weren't when it was first introduced.
I'm not worried guys , it just happen to be my routine before any test/exam to gather as much information as possible about the test/exam

Thanks guys , I will start look for the Examiner list here in Toronto to book the test

thanks again

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by moocow »

What leads you to think that you can answer questions in another language during an English test? Like we all said, if you can converse in English in day-to-day situations then you will do fine. Don't over stress yourself unless you insert a lot of "ummm" or "errrr" or pauses in your conversation.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

but I'm eager to know is it possible to provide the answers in another language !!!!!
Yes, of course you can.

And you will fail the English language test.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “Flight Training”