HARV'S AIR Flight School

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Roowin
Rank 0
Rank 0

HARV'S AIR Flight School

Post by Roowin »

Hello there !

As it's my 1st publication on this forum, let me please introduce myself briefly :D
So i'm french, 25, and i work in insurances since my graduation (university).

As everyone here i've always dreamed about being a pilot but i've never have enougth self-confidence to seriously think about it as i was very weak in math and physics.
So basically, i have put this dream in a corner of my head and tried to stop thinking about it. I've done that for years and i was living the dream virtually as a flightsim enthusiast.
And here we are, 25 and graduated, starting a professionnal career on the ground in a big insurer's building in an office with a window from which i can contemplate a big blue sky with nice trails leading to... nice planes :rolleyes:

And then the question time: "'Hey ! Why did you give up on your dream ?" I've realised that the only obstacle that was in front of it was me and my lack of confidence at the time. But i've grew up and started to know myslef a litlle more. And today i feel that i can reach that dream because for the 1st time of my short life, i have a goal, my own goal. It's not like about finishing highshcool because everybody does it so you have to or doing a job for it's prestige or the situation it can gives you. No, it's more about an intimate choice and what's makes me happy even if i know that it's a hard path without funding. At least, i have done a couple of discovery flight just to confront my dream with the reality and every times i did it, my choice have strengthened.

So as a european, i've started to search some info about the way things work in Europe. And it's complete bullshit, i mean if you a decent gross with a decent family life you have to in an Approved Training Organisation (ATO) who has a partneship with a compagny, spend near 150k euros and pray. (little exageration here :evil:). I have the great chance of having my mother supporting me in this project so i know i could get a loan with her support but i'm affraid that for me being a pilot doesn't necessarily means being a jet pilot as it's appears to be the norm in Europe. And because Canada share a part-common history, i've begin to make some researches about how things work here and it's obvious that it's the way i see things.

Manitoba have decent weather conditions plus an attrative immigration policy in favor of native french immigrants so i've decided to get my licences here. As TC licences aren't designed to be exploitated outise CA, my project is to get a CPL, an instructor licence and start instruction (i've trained a couple of youngs athletes in my rowing club and i like that) in order to get at least 1500h and see what good things i can except with that.

So as i need to be in rules with the immigration administration, it's important for me to get my CPL in "Designated learning institution" and there's only two of that type in MB: Harv's Air and Interlake Aviation. I've heard a lot of good things about HA and nothing about Interlake (so if you got something to share feel free).

If anyone is studing in one these two just and accept to discuss about it just pm me !

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Roowin on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: HARV'S AIR Flight School

Post by youhavecontrol »

Welcome! I've heard a lot of good things about Harv's Air and it seems their program is very well put together. At one time I was looking at applying to instruct there, because I love their diverse fleet of aircraft and they seem very well established, with their own private airport with instrument approaches a (Steinbach South airport). I flew there and visited a few years ago and I was quite impressed. Living in Southern Manitoba didn't sound too appealing for my wife, regarding job opportunities for her, so we found another place to live/work.

If you go there, make sure you have a good winter jacket. The summers are nice, but winters can be very cold and windy.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I've used Harv's air's online groundschool, and it's well put together and they have great customer support. I haven't flown there myself, but have heard a lot of good things about them. It certainly seems a good choice.

Anyway, I would just say to go for it. Life is too short to work in a job you hate!

badmash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by badmash »

Just my two cents (Harvs Air):

1. Quality of instruction is top notch if you are willing to do your best.
2. Online ground school is pretty sufficient.
3. Fleet availability and diversity is excellent.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

I just finished a week of flying there. Very professional, and they had a plan in place for my training well before I showed up. Can't say enough good things. In the 14 hours of flying I did throughout the week, I didn't have a single maintenance delay. Would definitely do business again.

ydg_cyul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ydg_cyul »

(sorry Roowin, don't mean to hijack your thread)

What do you guys think about Harv's Air online ground school? Is it really worth it as opposed to attending an actual ground school? I saw the fees at flight schools are around $500 plus fees and books whereas Harv's Air is much cheaper. You don't get the 1 to 1 interaction of course, but I consider myself a good student (studied quite a lot for my degree) so if I'm confused about something I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out somehow.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

ydg_cyul wrote:(sorry Roowin, don't mean to hijack your thread)

What do you guys think about Harv's Air online ground school? Is it really worth it as opposed to attending an actual ground school? I saw the fees at flight schools are around $500 plus fees and books whereas Harv's Air is much cheaper. You don't get the 1 to 1 interaction of course, but I consider myself a good student (studied quite a lot for my degree) so if I'm confused about something I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out somehow.
I guess it depends how you prefer to learn. I prefer to learn by myself at my own pace, and Harv's online groundschool worked really well for my CPL. I really should have used it for my instrument rating too. I find I learn much more efficiently with online groundschool, and I can go back to it later if I want.

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

I have limited personal experience with Harv's, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I always recommend them to anyone asking.

Return to “Flight Training”