When in doubt...after CPL in Ottawa, Cornwall, Montreal aera

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Bravomike33
Rank 0
Rank 0

When in doubt...after CPL in Ottawa, Cornwall, Montreal aera

#1 Post by Bravomike33 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Hello everyone,
I need some advise about my flight training in Ontario, between Ottawa, Cornwall and Montreal ( I don’t want say the school name where I m doing my training, I keep some neutrality).
My goal is to work as soon as possible, build time, stay in Canada as a pilot residant permanent (work in progress) get a good potential to elvove.
I like aviation by passion. Not only for money, even if is important (loan..).

First of all, over here, my flight experience :

Total flight Time : 181.7
PIC : 93.9
Instrument : 20.2 FTD : 10
PIC XC : 68.8
Night : 30
Night XC PIC : 25

PPL EASA
PPL CANADA
CPL FLIGHT TEST DONE
INRAT will be done October

I can't do the ME-ME IFR and instructor right know, and even if the shortage pilot in Canada allow you to get a job pretty young, usually is more about 300/500h with a ME IFR and familiar with Canada. Right ?

The thing is, i have some doubts about my school to finish the training from what i experienced.. You know…The thing who make you worried if the school want just your money, as you ask something. ( feedbacks..) and no real answers..

I'm not spitting on the school, this school have a really good side, some people inside are really nice and friendly and the maintenance is very well and fast to do it, every planes fly, nice and good airport/asphalt.. , No, they accepted me while I couldn't speak English. In fact I will dream to work for them but you never know with them, where you are..

Somes people told me this is the ‘french mentality’... Perphaps its true, i consider this…But some people i saw over here, not recommand me to stay here ( bad story..) ..and some other are happy..Me i’m 50/100...

What i wish to know, is if it good to get a instructor rating for a new immigrant in Canada or better to get a IFR. i have only the money for either,
SE-IFR and Instructor // ME rated and Instructor // or Solo until 200h and instructor only ( hoping to be hire by my school save and keep the money for the ME IFR after..)

thanks you
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: When in doubt...after CPL in Ottawa, Cornwall, Montreal aera

#2 Post by Bede » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:31 am

If money is an issue, I'd go for a SE IFR- lots of PC12's and 208's out there to start a career on. An instructor rating is only good if you have a job offer at the end of the rating. Don't get suckered into "you have a shot at a job after you do your rating with us."

youhavecontrol
Rank 1
Rank 1

#3 Post by youhavecontrol » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:17 pm

You have a shot at an instructor job in most places across Canada if you have an instructor's rating. Trust me, unless there's a personality issue, there's so many places hiring right now.

As for getting that Group 1 rating: I didn't have much money, so I skipped all the IFR and Multi stuff and did my instructor's rating right after my CPL. I taught for a few years and did the Multi-IFR training with an instructor friend for free (we made a deal.. I photographed his wedding for free) and just paid the rental for the Seminole and simulator at a staff discount. I saved about $10,000 and got both ratings in about 10 hours of flight time, not including the practically free simulator sessions. Total cost for the Multi Rating and Group 1 IFR rating was about $4000 in the end, because I was already employed there and made connections.
"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."

Bravomike33
Rank 0
Rank 0

#4 Post by Bravomike33 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:09 am

Bede wrote:If money is an issue, I'd go for a SE IFR- lots of PC12's and 208's out there to start a career on. An instructor rating is only good if you have a job offer at the end of the rating. Don't get suckered into "you have a shot at a job after you do your rating with us."
Hello,
Yes the money is some sort of issue.I mean I have to choose one.
OK, thanks for your advise.
I saw certain company operating with group 3 doing Survey.
About an instructor rating, this is what I though if I had a certitude, but I don't have. So, now is not a big deal.

youhavecontrol wrote:You have a shot at an instructor job in most places across Canada if you have an instructor's rating. Trust me, unless there's a personality issue, there's so many places hiring right now.

As for getting that Group 1 rating: I didn't have much money, so I skipped all the IFR and Multi stuff and did my instructor's rating right after my CPL. I taught for a few years and did the Multi-IFR training with an instructor friend for free (we made a deal.. I photographed his wedding for free) and just paid the rental for the Seminole and simulator at a staff discount. I saved about $10,000 and got both ratings in about 10 hours of flight time, not including the practically free simulator sessions. Total cost for the Multi Rating and Group 1 IFR rating was about $4000 in the end, because I was already employed there and made connections.
Hello,
Your story is very nice and smart, but you knew the guy before. As you said, connection is the best.

I'm here since 1 year and I m new in your country, so I don't know a lot experiences pilots. Only student pilot and post student pilot.
However, the first thing I made is a 3 screens simulator. To practice a lot ATC/Procedure.

I invested 500dolls to buy computer, gauge, rudder, yoke, throttle, and buy the same multi-engine of my school on Xplane and practiced...
Some people could say, it is expensive and stupid, but I don't mind.
First of all, I was not able to fly in English 1 year ago and through my sim I learn the English a lot, and in second hand, it still nice to fly when the weather is not good.

Now, I m preparing for my INRAT. I will do the test within 2 weeks and following by the training ME-IFR for get the G1.

I will apply for the pilot program like NorthAir Star, Perimeter, Buffalo.
I had work already on hard and difficult condition, did lot of different job.. than i didn't like. But I gained experience and responsibility.
I m ready to go in the up-north as a rampist or other job like that.

I clenched my teeth lot of time for a jobs I didn't like it. I can do it again for realize my child-dream..

I wish you a great day and to enjoy your flight.

Respect.

Return to “Flight Training”