"High time" college students

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

"High time" college students

Post by Bede »

What do (subsidized ie Seneca, Sault, Confed, etc) colleges do with students who come into the program with "higher time" (PPL with 150 hrs)? Do they just get another 50 or whatever is allotted per student (200)? Or do they just get turned away because they're so close to getting a CPL anyways?
---------- ADS -----------

Jet Stream
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: "High time" college students

Post by Jet Stream »

I thought you already had your CPL?

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

Can't speak for Confed or the Sault, but Seneca had me do a shorter "PPL Stage" at the beginning of my training. After that point, I was on the same curriculum as everyone else.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Jet Stream wrote:I thought you already had your CPL?
Lol. You know you've been on this forum for too long when youre inquiring about your kids. I think when I started I had just got my CPL. Somewhere around the end of last century.

It's still a few years off but my son may find himself in this situation.

Future_Sunwing_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Future_Sunwing_pilot »

Bede wrote:What do (subsidized ie Seneca, Sault, Confed, etc) colleges do with students who come into the program with "higher time" (PPL with 150 hrs)? Do they just get another 50 or whatever is allotted per student (200)? Or do they just get turned away because they're so close to getting a CPL anyways?

Most likely you would start from scratch like everyone else, so if you have a PPL you would be better off with going to a flight school.

NoGutsNoGlory
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NoGutsNoGlory »

I know Sault College used to do accelerated PPL lesson plans ending with a PPL standards ride conducted by an examiner (This is required for a final grade because "Flight" is considered a class). Moving forward the student is the same as every other student from CPL to MIFR.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Sault College isn't really accelerated, it's basically less flying and you end up at the same spot just like everyone else by the end of 3rd semester

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Friend went to Confed after having her PPL and night rating. She did wait a bit for her classmates to be at the flying stage, but she did fly the PPL flight lessons. So he pretty much redid her PPL items for the most part. This happened about 4 years ago, so things could have changed.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

At 150 hours already, just send the kid to Cornwall and they'll be flying for money next spring.

Return to “Flight Training”