Confederation's Pilot Program

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Future_Sunwing_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Confederation's Pilot Program

Post by Future_Sunwing_pilot »

I was looking at confederation commercial pilot program and i was really interested in it, i've been doing research about it but one thing it's not cleared which is if a student would fail the TC written and/or flight test would you have to re pay for it or you would be dismiss from the program?
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Confederation's Pilot Program

Post by lownslow »

The thing about Confed's program is that the flying part is free. The least you can do for that is to give your test preparation the attention it deserves then you'll have nothing to worry about.

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

lownslow wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:10 pm The thing about Confed's program is that the flying part is free. The least you can do for that is to give your test preparation the attention it deserves then you'll have nothing to worry about.
+1 :smt023

danishroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by danishroy »

Ok I'm confused how is the flying free at confed? And if it's free Is it a very competitive program to get into ?

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

The tuition overall is significantly lower than the competitor flight colleges like what you would pay at Algonquin for example. There you pay tuition, and then your flight lessons as well including all briefings and flights etc... Don't remember exact costs at Confed (never went there myself but know a couple who did). The rest is subsidized by the government. So for the flying portion that you do DO there, if i recall: PPL, CPL, Floats. It is covered. That overall saves you about 30-40K. Then you just go on your merry way and do your multi and IFR on your own at a FTU/club of your choice for somewhere under 10K , out of pocket, and you're done. I did hear discussions a couple years back that they were removing the float training as part of the program at Confed, so unsure if it's still there.

ActionAxson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ActionAxson »

Tuition was $1,500-2,300 depending on the semester for 5 semesters. Did my Multi-IFR for $~6,000. Float program is "suspended" or something like that. To the original question, if you fail any of the written exams you're removed from the program. You would have to repay any student loans or whatever you owe in tuition for that semester.

TheWingedWorrier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheWingedWorrier »

A failure of the written TC and/or Flight Test would not result in an immediate boot from the program. The instructors are good, and are actually working to try to get you through. You would get at least one more chance to retake the TC exams, and possibly more depending on circumstances, though repaying for them would be required. If you fail the College's written exam you will be failed from the program. The College test is written prior to the TC, and is supposed to be somewhat reflective of the equivalent TC exams (PPL and CPL), though the general opinion tends to be that the college tests are harder. The program is certainly intense, but if you use your resources and apply yourself, you will certainly make it through.
To clarify some other points that were mentioned, the float program is "suspended"(=gone), and they no longer do tailwheel or ski training. These have been replaced with group 3 IFR rating.
I do reccomend the program, the staff are knowledgeable and friendly, but the upper management can be frustrating at times.

20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 20DMEYYZ »

strictly on the basis of being a good student town i would enroll if accepted. the ACE facilities are modern and there's a good variety of aircraft into the airport, even a few Hornets in and out for fuel. the ski hops were mostly for 'moose spotting' so no loss there. all the above comments about testing are accurate. you'll have a better chance at re-testing if you are the viewed upon more favorably by the panel, especially so if you're from Upsula as was the case our year.

Return to “Flight Training”