The 500 multi-pic question...

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

dont_snag_it
Rank 1
Rank 1

The 500 multi-pic question...

Post by dont_snag_it »

All the job postings say you need 500 multi-pic to get that next job. Is it just me, or are there very few students doing multi's and multi-IFR's these days which makes that number seem almost impossible if you don't want to be teaching for more than 5 years.

How many of you instructor guys/gals expect to get 500 multi-pic in the near future...discuss...
---------- ADS -----------

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Don't worry, 1hr on a PN68 is as good as 20hrs on a lesser twin! :lol: (After all, it is the SPACE SHUTTLE!)

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Indeed, I delayed to get my multi. I have my group 3 IFR and Instructor rating, getting my multi this spring...

I had a friend who was getting lots of co-pilot multi on a ho, when all the jobs said you needed 500 multi (not specifically pic). About a month before he got to 500 hours, they suddenly all changed to 500 pic. he was a little upset as you can imagine, he got so close, and now was at the bottom again.

Anyways, I have no idea how I will ever get 500 muli. Luckily it isn't an issue for me until a couple of years form now once I'm done University. But I'm just going to keep making connections until someone decides to give me a job.

snapped
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by snapped »

Don't fret it will all come in do time :D

where's the snacks?
I'd Rather Be Flying
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I'd Rather Be Flying »

Well, I'm an instructor and only have about 100 hours multi time right now. But by the end of the summer after the PPC and our patrol season, I hope to have reached the 500 hour mark with multi time.

But I agree that it's tough for those looking where the minimums are so high. I was once there. And I can understand sometimes why the minimums are so high.

Let me say that those who have patience and are persistant (in a non-nagging way) end up finding the work sometime down the road. And it will have been worth the wait.

:D

"Come down, your head is in the sky, feet on the ground...come down."
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The post 9/11 environment has drastically tightned insurance requirements
I think you will find that has constrained the ability of many operators to hire low time pilots. In any case there are plenty of guys with lots of Multi PIC hours looking for work. When that pool starts to dry up things will open up for low timers. Ask an old timer how many boom and bust cycles he has been through to put the current situation in perspective. If you really want to fly, hang in there and eventually you will get your chance.

dont_snag_it
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dont_snag_it »

Well Big Piston, that was what I was getting at. If a lot less instructors are getting multi time, company's will be forced to lower their requirements. Perhaps that is where aiming for a PC-12 job may make more sense. After all, how many schools out there have a patrol job on the side that uses a twin.

tip tank
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tip tank »

Got 400 multi hours after a year and a bit. If your at a busy school it ownt take 5 years.......

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Load Factor2. The problem with your theory is that there are no single engine airliners ( although with the likes of Milton running the airlines ,wait for it. :roll: ). At the entry level stage the trick is just getting hired to fly at all. A positive attitude and good work ethic will get you noticed and by working as a pilot you are making contacts and getting yourself known. In my case I have worked for 5 companies. I was hired by every single one based on a word of mouth reputation and recommends from pilots I had previously worked for or with.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Big Pistons Forever wrote: The problem with your theory is that there are no single engine airliners ( although with the likes of Milton running the airlines ,wait for it.
I beg to differ. There are airlines with Caravans and PC-12s (ie Bearskin). Sure you might not be getting the multi time, but turbine time can be equally valuable in future job endeavours.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:The problem with your theory is that there are no single engine airliners ( although with the likes of Milton running the airlines ,wait for it. :roll:
Huh?

If Milton were to do that he would be a genious. Sorry to say it, but the less engines, the better from an economic point of view. That is why a lot of the traffic crossing the ponds are jet twins rather than 3 or 4 engine these days. They went through all the ETOPS hurdles to be able to fly with less engines . . . . therefore less costs, greater profits. That is why none of the airlines have been begging for a passenger version of the B-52. A few years ago, I was told that the airplanes of the future will have only two engines.

If they could address power and reliability concerns, there would be an industry push to having one big honking engine on a plane. Maybe not what satisfies pilots egos, but lets face it, in the end it's not what you fly, but how much money you make and how much time you have off.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

The it would become: "My engine is bigger than yours!" :roll:

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

yup the 500 multi PIC is not easy to get, if your not willing to move to get it.
As an instructor, if your school is slow - move to one that is IE Perimeter or Pro IFR. Or give Hicks and lawerence a call. Give some of the servey company's a call - there are a few with HO's and lower time requirments.

I have seen a company in Northern MB looking for a HO driver (VFR mind you) and all they wanted was 500 TT.
Also, when you get on some of the twinn turbine opperators, you will go CPT even if you have not a stich of Multi PIC.
It will happen all in good time. Faster if your willing to move to get it.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Bob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bob »

500 multi, than 500 Multi PIC, Than 500 Turbine, Than 500 Jet. It never ends.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

then

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

:lol:
500 hours multi crew, multi engine- heavy jet with lower atmosphere experience.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

no no

then

as opposed to than.

Just trying to be of help. :D

greenwich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by greenwich »

KAG good points (as per usual)!

The one weakness I have noticed in instructors over the years is their total addiction to 'time'. Total time, pic time, turbine time, float time, taildragger time, multi time, (or in this case) MULTI PIC TIME!

For the record: I am not knocking instructors! I know the industry is in shambles right now, and I know that finding that first job (outside instructing) is next to impossible.

The reality about the time requirements that most companies post is that they are NOT carved in stone! Most smaller companies use these requirements as a tactic to 'thin-out' the thousands of resumes they get annually! In all of my experience I have never known a company to turn away a great candidate because he/she was short a few hundred hours of 'multi-pic'!

My message to all of you instructors is for you to not get caught-up in this whole 'time thing'! I have been with the same charter company for years and not a single new pilot that we have hired(myself included) has met our posted time requirements!

Remember, your attitude and work-ethic will get you the job...the hours will follow!!

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

I think i'm going to "borrow" a rifle from somebody who hasn't registered it, then find a company I want to work at and create my own opening. Anybody else need a job? :mrgreen:

SplitS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SplitS »

I wouldnt bring that rifle into some of those hick companies up north shitdisturber, you may find yourself sporting a new hole to shit from!! :P :P :P

Keep flying till the noise stops.

Return to “Flight Training”