FAA CPL to TC CPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

keep_flyin
Rank 0
Rank 0

FAA CPL to TC CPL

#1 Post by keep_flyin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:17 am

Hello Fellow Aviators
I received my FAA Commercial Multi and now am looking towards getting it converted to TC CPL.
I have gone through the TC Website regarding the conversion and I need to have my verification done + medical before giving the exam which I believe is 25 questions, please correct me if I am wrong.

If anyone has gone through the process, I would appreciate if they could shed some light on the procedure and how long it took to receive the license. And what items do they require for the verification.
Appreciate your help.
Thank You
---------- ADS -----------

jd832
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: FAA CPL to TC CPL

#2 Post by jd832 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:11 am

I converted my FAA ATP to a TC ATPL. I started the process in January and completed the process around May. I used that time to study the TC AIM. There is a test guide on the TC website on recommended sections to study. Pay attention to the wording as you study because the answers on the 25 question multiple choice test are very similar to each other and one of the choices is more correct than the others. Throughout the paper work process they kept mailing me saying what I was missing. I would give the information and a month later they tell me an additional thing I was missing. It was frustrating because instead of just mailing me a list of thing they needed they would tell me one at a time via mail. One of thing they wanted was a current copy of an IPC endorsement from my logbook. My airline annual SIM ride wasn't good enough because it wasn't completed as a captain but rather an FO. So I had to rent a C172 and go up with an instructor to get an endorsement. Also you'll need a Radio License-Aeronautical. In Canada it's and actual test that you have to study for and write.

Also If you're close to receiving your FAA ATP, I would obtain that and then convert it to a TC ATPL instead of a CPL.

You'll need:
TC aviation medical
Passport type photo ( Dimensions on the TC website)
Current IPC endorsement
Completed paperwork

I would contact a TC office before you send your paperwork and verify with them everything you're sending to make sure you're not missing anything.

keep_flyin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: FAA CPL to TC CPL

#3 Post by keep_flyin » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:48 am

Hey
Thanks for you reply.
It took quite some time for you. I have usually heard it takes at most about a month.
I have heard about the exams and they can be quite tricky.
Thanks for your advice.

Return to “Flight Training”