Are all aviation college diplomas equal?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Are all aviation college diplomas equal?

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Air Canada has always advertised that they prefer "University degrees" OR "Aviation College Diplomas"
Historically MANY graduates of the government subsided aviation programs at the Sault and Seneca end up at Air Canada.
My question is, do Canadian airlines look at college programs differently if not one of these two schools? Would the two year Conestoga aviation diploma be considered on par with one from Sault or Seneca?
I realize there are many programs across Canada, I am however only familiar with the ones in Ontario.
Thanks
John
---------- ADS -----------

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Are all aviation college diplomas equal?

Post by skypirate88 »

As one who graduated from the Conestoga program, and has been bypassed on the new PML for folks who went to another program that are junior to me, I suspect they are not treated equally. Graduated with distinction, 4000 hours, ATPL.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Would the two year Conestoga aviation diploma be considered on par with one from Sault or Seneca?
I realize there are many programs across Canada, I am however only familiar with the ones in Ontario.
In my opinion, No.

Conestoga is a General Arts & Science Diploma College Diploma Program; whereas
Seneca program is a Bachelor of Aviation Technology; and
Sault is an Advanced Technology Diploma; adding to the mix,
Confederation's Aviation Flight Management Diploma Program;
Algonquin's Aviation Management – General Arts and Science Diploma Program

I'd venture that Seneca and Sault would be the preferred choices, and would weight slightly more than the other options.

If I was on a hiring board, a higher level of education may mean a candidate that is more apt and motivated to learn; but no correlation should be inferred. I'd look at the complete package of skills that the candidate brings to the table. (Flight experience & Qualifications, Languages, "Soft skills" (leadership, CRM, customer service, etc ..). That said if there are more applicants than positions available, then a company must set a mechanism to "cut" the pile down.

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

First of all. When selecting candidates, education is third on the list of other attributes, after quotas are filled and family members hired. :smt040

The dream is that they will select the most qualified pilots...the reality is typcally far different.

Now, to your question. Advanced education, ie, post high school , demonstrates a number of things including the ability to read, show hard work. And, a bit of time to mature. With the exception of the odd diploma that is not worth the paper it is written on, any diploma shows the character attributes,

Having said that, most companies tend to favour one school over another for no particular reason I have ever determined except being the alma mater of the hiring folks.

Just an old retired guy’s observations.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

So probably not worth the extra money for the Conestoga college diploma....better off to just get the licenses...or go to one of the more recognized aviation schools or university

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shivam282 »

skypirate88 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:50 pm As one who graduated from the Conestoga program, and has been bypassed on the new PML for folks who went to another program that are junior to me, I suspect they are not treated equally. Graduated with distinction, 4000 hours, ATPL.
Hey, I got accepted to Conestoga's Fast Track program with an end goal of going to the major airlines. Kind of confused by your reply, can you dumb it down what exactly it was that you said please? Do you recommend Conestoga?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Generally speaking, candidates get points for CV (curriculum vitae).

Flying experience - hours - aircraft type - PIC

Training/Checking experience - ACP/LTC/SIM Instructor

Education - Doctorate/Post-Graduate/Graduate/College

Most points for highest education level attained. University worth more than college. 3 year college diploma worth more than 2 year.

Return to “Flight Training”