IFR Flight Planning - Preferred Routes

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ifrroutes
Rank 0
Rank 0

IFR Flight Planning - Preferred Routes

Post by ifrroutes »

Hi,
I am working on my instrument rating and I have some questions relating to route selection for an IFR flight.
I am aware of the preferred routes (well, now actually mandatory routes) section in the CFS which is very useful for common departure and arrival destinations, but does not provide much in guidance for smaller airports.

For example, could someone suggest a viable route to go from CYOW (Ottawa) to CYQG (Windsor). Here is what I have determined using the CFS.
CYOW TUKIR T614 DEBUM DERLO AXXIS GOHMA

Basically I used the initial departure route from CYOW to KDTW (TUKIR T614 DERLO since KDTW very close to CYQG) and then picked up the Toronto overflight route at DERLO heading west bound (AXXIS GOHMA). From there I can either use the GOHMA arrival or select an RNAV approach and head to an IWP.

Does this make sense? Now I understand what I am actually given could be something completely different, but for the sake of correct planning I need to make sure I can do it right.

CFS preferred routes available here: http://imageserver.fltplan.com/legends/ ... 1-2018.PDF
---------- ADS -----------

ifrroutes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: IFR Flight Planning - Preferred Routes

Post by ifrroutes »

Any advice?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Sounds like you are going about it properly. The only other thing I could suggest is check on flightaware or other online source to see what others filed on the same airport pair.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Any if you really want to minimize the chances of a reroute, you'll have to check all the enroute NOTAMs. Not an insignificant undertaking.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

I would file TUKIR T614 DEBUM KENLU T616 REVUD DERLO AXXIS GOHMA3. That links the preferred westbound route between TUKIR and DERLO (A140 and below) with the ARR FR E into YQG. It's usually best to file the STAR if there is one (GOHMA3 in this case). There does seem to be a segment in the middle that is somewhat ambiguous.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It’s a good thing to think about, but I don’t see where it impacts your IFR training or certification process.For practical purposes there’s no penalty for filing direct and waiting to see what clearance comes back.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

Plan for the best and prepare for the worst. It's always a great feeling when your clearance comes "as filed," but don't sweat blood trying to force it to happen every time.

@CYRO
ifrroutes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ifrroutes »

Thank you all for the tips. Much appreciated.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

FYI in real life, reroutes in the air are fairly common. Sometimes more than once on the same trip if a long CC in dense airspace.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

You'd probably get away with not filing an airway as long as it's reasonably outside of Toronto's airspace. Outside Toronto, YYC, YVR, filing direct is usually sufficient in my experience. I'd try filing CYOW YMS AXXIS.GOHMA3 CYQG. Of course altitude filed needs to be above the min sector altitude.

Return to “Flight Training”