PPL Flight Test Info

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

PPL Flight Test Info

Post by avsteve1 »

So I just cleared the PPL Written Exam, all I have left now is some cross country time building and the Flight Test.

Anybody have any info/tips for the flight test, and are there any books to go through before hand? I just ordered the book called
Flight Test Notes, and I will be attending my flight schools' "How to pass your flight test" seminar.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: PPL Flight Test Info

Post by CpnCrunch »

Just make sure you're familiar with the flight test guide and everything on it. Your instructor will do a mock flight test with you to make sure you're ready.

More info here:

http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Page ... Fail!.html

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

I did my flight test last year and honestly there are no surprises. If your instructor says you are ready and you pass the mock test with your instructor you will do fine. My biggest problem was that it was cancelled twice due to weather and I was beginning to feel rusty with the delay. Know your memory items and try and keep a light touch on the controls and you will do fine.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

A better question is what percentage of PPL flight tests are failures?

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avsteve1 »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm A better question is what percentage of PPL flight tests are failures?
Not sure, but I would like to know that as well.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

Very few are outright failures. Usually if someone isn’t going to make it through the test that gets identified on the ground, and the flight doesn’t happen. I believe the pass rate is around 70%, and the rest are partials. TC tracks the pass/fail rates and if a particular school is below the national average they get audited.

As some said above READ THE FLIGHT TEST GUIDE. Pay particular attention to the text in bold in each exersize. If you’re well versed on the guide, and you get a thorough preflight test from your instructor there shouldn’t be any surprises.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

avsteve1 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:48 pm
C.W.E. wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm A better question is what percentage of PPL flight tests are failures?
Not sure, but I would like to know that as well.
I obtained that information from TC with an Access to Information request and posted it here. Use the search feature.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:51 pm Very few are outright failures. Usually if someone isn’t going to make it through the test that gets identified on the ground, and the flight doesn’t happen. I believe the pass rate is around 70%, and the rest are partials. TC tracks the pass/fail rates and if a particular school is below the national average they get audited.
I've heard numbers between 70% and 75%. As Life stated, the majority are captured on the pre-flight. Your instructor should not recommend you for the flight test if you're not ready. So if you're going for the test, rest assured your instructor has confidence in you and you're ready. If you fail in the air, you probably completely brain farted and just need to relax and take a few deep breaths.

Return to “Flight Training”