INRAT Surprise

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

airplane12345
Rank 0
Rank 0

INRAT Surprise

Post by airplane12345 »

Hello!

I've been digging around the forums here reviewing some information from those who've recently written the inrat. I feel fairly well prepared and have gone through pretty much all of the known study books (Aero, SE, Cul etc) and feel decently confident. I was just curious if anyone here has written the inrat recently and came across any topics that caught them off guard or came as a surprise. I plan on writing in the near future and I am trying to ensure all my bases are covered prior to writing the exam!
---------- ADS -----------

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: INRAT Surprise

Post by flyingcanuck »

Everyone claims ADF stuff is gone but there are still old tests, so make sure youre good for NDB intercepts ect. Cant think of much else

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The last time I studied to renew, I was told things had changed. Expect at least 5 GPS questions...learn GPS.
I studied things about GPS that no pilot would ever need to know. I could write that section of the manuals.

And the exam? Not one GPS question..not one. .but 6 on the ADF...lucky I was raised on using an ADF.

Let me share this with you. The test is just that...it is a test. Don’t learn to just pass a test. Learn the subjects so that you can apply them to making you a safer and better pilot.
Learn all the subjects. You maybe surprised, but you will do well.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Yeah, but you still have to pass the test, and MH + RB = MB or whatever it is has ZERO USE in real world IFR... even if you manage to get a job with Buffalo Joe staring at a fixed card ADF doing an NDB approach. In fact, it will probably make you more dangerous if you apply it.

The real world way to do it is mentally transpose the needle onto your DG.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Gosh, in over 5 decades of flying no one has shared that wisdom with me Zaibatsu....You are an aviation god with such real world experience.

nothing wrong with learning all about the ADF, and how to use it .
Which was my point. Learn everything you can about all the subjects rather than try to get “tips” about the exam. Know your stuff and the exam is easy peasy. The IFR exam is, or was an excellent test of knowledge. As to the formulas. Why not know them?

Applying it in the air comes later, and yes, it is different.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Gosh, in over 5 decades of flying no one has shared that wisdom with me Zaibatsu....You are an aviation god with such real world experience.
It is having real pilots like him explain these new found techniques to us on how to understand and use these exotic nav aids that make this forum such a treasure trove of information Trey. :lol:

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:02 pm
It is having real pilots like him explain these new found techniques to us on how to understand and use these exotic nav aids that make this forum such a treasure trove of information Trey. :lol:
Dad,

Another thread hijack to fuel your narcissistic disorder?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

I did my INRAT last year. I used the Instrument Procedures Manual and the Sharper Edge study book. There were no surprises and it was probably the easiest written exam I've done so far other than the PSTAR.
I had some questions about the GPS... I think one question was about the RAIM Prediction rules, and maybe something on WAAS? Oh yeah, and there were questions about the NDB on mine, but it was pretty basic. Just remember that the needle IS heading sensitive.. so wind corrections will affect it when tracking.

The NDB isn't totally irrelevant I suppose.. I have a friend who started flying Medevac last year in Ontario after instructing for a long time. He told me a story about some airport they went to where they had to do an NDB approach and the captain asked him to fly the approach because he was more familiar with them... after my friend spend a year teaching students thousands of them, haha. So yeah, they're useless except for that ONE TIME where you need to do one in the middle of Buttsville Nowhere.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."

Return to “Flight Training”