Heads up - I know this has been a classic, however, a refresher nonetheless

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

David Bayyari
Rank 1
Rank 1

Heads up - I know this has been a classic, however, a refresher nonetheless

Post by David Bayyari »

Hi.

Yup this has been always asked all the time and the answers are going to be the same generic ones.

However, I am looking at fresh opinions and experiences. Also, I would love to have a helping perspective on things, because I'm unsure.

So, basically, I'm looking at two different schools at CZBB Boundary Bay.

Professional Flight Centre (ProIFR) and Pacific Flying Club (PFC)

I liked PFC's environment and the space they have.
My main concerns are
1- BCIT getting priority
2- Ground School running during evenings twice a week (I will be commuting and last bus out is at 1830
3- imagine, they don't allow GoPro filming and its not 100% ok during solo flying

What I loved
1- the space
2- the rates (yes depending on the always existing fuel surcharge, but really reasonable, especially solo rates)

I was supposed to do a fam flight but got cancelled after I arrived due to weather and instead was pushed to fill application form. I was going to but didn't until I was sure.
I did speak to an instructor there and was very friendly and sat to answer my questions.

ProIFR is good, I liked it as well.
What I liked
1- daily ground school
2- I can film my flights even on dual.

What I didn't like
1- a C172 dual is at 239 (147 base+33 fuel surcharge+59 CFI)
And fuel in general is fluctuating pretty much everyday. Unlike say SeaLandAir in the range of $5 to $10 making duals at 200 min.
2- tight place
3- booking is full most of the time.
3- no Cherokees like Langley

I like CZBB because it's busy and engaging with traffic and transits.

Ya so, clearly I'm confused and probably confusing.
I am not sure why wouldn't I just go with langley and be happy with their rates there. Haha
---------- ADS -----------

Vico56
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Heads up - I know this has been a classic, however, a refresher nonetheless

Post by Vico56 »

I’m studying at the PFC. For the BCIT getting priority over « standard » students, it’s something I’ve never experienced myself.

For exemple when my instructor felt I was ready for the preflight test, I passed it 5 days after. The day in question, we were running out of time after the ground portion (by my fault I was way too long to prepare my navigation), and I was proposed to do the flight portion the next day in the morning. In fact the « examiner » (acting like it) found the time and we did it the same day.

5 days later, I was passing my flight test with another person working at PFC, and boy, sure that was a test but mostly a great learning experience, I loved it.

As far as booking are concerned the C172 are more difficult to book on short notice, but if you’re doing your training on C152 like me, there is often a good old 152 available at the last moment.

I seriously recommand that club, and I don’t think at all that BCIT student are prioritized, but after all it’s only my own experience.

Last edited by Vico56 on Thu May 10, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

So why not just go to Langley? Cherokees are nice planes (FKKF was my favourite when I was learning), Langley is a lot closer to Glen Valley, and if you can land on that postage stamp runway you can land anywhere.

...laura

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Langley is also right at the practise area, so you won't have to spend 20 minutes a lesson flying back and forth. Check out Skyquest, Langley Flying School, and I think there's another but I don't remember the name off the top of my head.

Return to “Flight Training”