Sea Land Air flight Centre VS Harvs Air

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Omof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Sea Land Air flight Centre VS Harvs Air

Post by Omof »

Hello. I am from Nigeria wishing to begin my flight training later this year in Canada.

I'm stuck between two flight schools
  • Harvs Air in Winnipeg
  • Sea Land Air Flight Centre in Delta, BC
I'm a fan of the Diamond aircrafts and I would like to train with the steam gauges of the DA20-A1 or the C1.

What I'm really interested in is the PGWP and staying in Canada a couple years after, either to be instructing or to renting planes to build hours, then hopefully getting a job in Canada or Working in Nigeria.

I've also heard about a couple more good flight schools like Skyquest Aviation, Coastal Pacific Aviation.

If anyone has any information about instructors, weather, current trainings I'd be very grateful.
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Sea Land Air flight Centre VS Harvs Air

Post by C-GGGQ »

Well If you want diamonds them don't go to harvs. They don't have any. Only 1 DA40 g1000.

Omof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Omof »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:57 pm Well If you want diamonds them don't go to harvs. They don't have any. Only 1 DA40 g1000.
Thanks so much for your reply. I'd like to ask what flight school you're in and what plane you actually prefer training with?

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

Southwestern BC is gorgeous in the summer but the weather stinks in the winter. You can go weeks on end without flying.

It's very expensive to live here. If you can even find a place.

...laura

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I did my training on a 172 in saint john new Brunswick (school is since closed) I instructed on both diamond and cessna at several schools with international students. Moncton flight college being the biggest. They use Diamonds (and a couple of cessnas) both planes have their strength. 172 was my first plane so biased to flying that. I will point out that while I like the high wing of a cessna for ground view during circuits or engine failure exercises. The diamond is superior for spins and other upper air work. The cessna was designed to be a family sedan easy to fly and docile. So it doesn't want to spin. Diamond is a "trainer" and will spin both ways nicely.in the end either is great and the school itself is the biggest factor (instructors, maintenance, weather, nber of students per instructor)

Omof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Omof »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:44 am I did my training on a 172 in saint john new Brunswick (school is since closed) I instructed on both diamond and cessna at several schools with international students. Moncton flight college being the biggest. They use Diamonds (and a couple of cessnas) both planes have their strength. 172 was my first plane so biased to flying that. I will point out that while I like the high wing of a cessna for ground view during circuits or engine failure exercises. The diamond is superior for spins and other upper air work. The cessna was designed to be a family sedan easy to fly and docile. So it doesn't want to spin. Diamond is a "trainer" and will spin both ways nicely.in the end either is great and the school itself is the biggest factor (instructors, maintenance, weather, nber of students per instructor)
Thanks alot for this information.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Vancouver is a great city to live in for a while, but damned expensive, and the lower mainland training airspace is quite congested; Winnipeg is a freezing tundra in the winter, but reasonably pleasant in the summer (minus the insects) and there's virtually unlimited airspace in all directions - there's a reason that the Commonwealth Air Training Plan airfields were mainly on the prairies. Also, the number of flyable days in the winter is probably much greater in YWG.
Aircraft type be damned - it's all about learning the basics well. I'd probably go with Harv's.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

mmm..bacon wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:40 am Vancouver is a great city to live in for a while, but damned expensive, and the lower mainland training airspace is quite congested; Winnipeg is a freezing tundra in the winter, but reasonably pleasant in the summer (minus the insects) and there's virtually unlimited airspace in all directions - there's a reason that the Commonwealth Air Training Plan airfields were mainly on the prairies. Also, the number of flyable days in the winter is probably much greater in YWG.
Aircraft type be damned - it's all about learning the basics well. I'd probably go with Harv's.
My suggestion as well.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

mmm..bacon wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:40 am Vancouver is a great city to live in for a while, but damned expensive, and the lower mainland training airspace is quite congested; Winnipeg is a freezing tundra in the winter, but reasonably pleasant in the summer (minus the insects) and there's virtually unlimited airspace in all directions - there's a reason that the Commonwealth Air Training Plan airfields were mainly on the prairies. Also, the number of flyable days in the winter is probably much greater in YWG.
That all being said, have you considered Victoria Flying Club or Pacific Sky Aviation in Victoria. All of the lifestyle and training benefits of coastal BC, minus the congested airspace, costs, and big-city attitude of Vancouver.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Omof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Omof »

mmm..bacon wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:26 pm That all being said, have you considered Victoria Flying Club or Pacific Sky Aviation in Victoria. All of the lifestyle and training benefits of coastal BC, minus the congested airspace, costs, and big-city attitude of Vancouver.
Hello, thanks so much for your suggestions. A Google search of Victoria already has me interested. The food, the people, looks like a really nice city, plus those schools are pretty good. I'd pick Victoria flying club over the other. Oh and the weather seems better at Victoria compared to winnipegs. It's a hard choice to pick a flight school truth be told. I'm trying to decide and begin visa application cause that takes a while. So it's down to either Victoria flying club or Harvs air

dALre
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dALre »

I'm going Harv's air in this October.
Nice to meet you (Maybe!)

Omof
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Omof »

dALre wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:24 am I'm going Harv's air in this October.
Nice to meet you (Maybe!)
I'm trying to apply for either October or early January. Hopefully it won't be full. Hope to see you too!

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

This might just be the first time in history that someone has a hard time choosing between Victoria and Winnipeg...

Return to “Flight Training”