PPL Flight Test Preparation/Studying

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

PPL Flight Test Preparation/Studying

Post by shivam282 »

Hey,

What is the best way to study for the PPL Flight Test ground portion/oral test? I am not too worried about the air items since I'm alright with those. However, I don't think I know much about the ground items besides the speeds, emergency procedures, and basics of the C152. I just recently purchased the book Flight Test Notes.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

FreelanceInstructor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: PPL Flight Test Preparation/Studying

Post by FreelanceInstructor »

I would take a look at the Private Pilot Flight Test guide.

I think the largest question is how close are you to flight testing? You're Instructor is required to do a mock flight test with you, where he does a little role-playing game with you. This is where the instructor gets to best evaluate you, where you need work, what your strengths are, etc. If you have received a flight test recommendation given to you by your instructor and have not done this pre-test evaluation, might I suggest you go back to him and advise that he better prepare you for the flight test?

Now, look into the Flight Test Guide. there are multiples of different theory and practical items that would be expected of you to know. Concepts such as computing a weight and balance problem given an assigned cross country route given to you to plan prior to the test. You will almost always find that the scenario they assign you will put you outside of the approved weight and balance envelope, in which case, you are expected to know how to handle the out of balance scenario(hint: the answer is not just simply saying you would move pax/baggage/taking on less gas). Determining that the documentation is valid, up to date, and legal are also expected of you, along with some basic air law, meteorology, navigation, and general knowledge questions that would be expected on the PPL written exam.

Take a look through the flight test guide is my single most important recommendation when trying to prep for the flight test. This outline will include everything your examiner could ask you. Above all else, please....consult your instructor if you have any questions. Your instructor should be the most important resource available to you.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

+1 to freelance instructor

The big one people have trouble with is "prove to me that this airplane is airworthy."

Make sure that you have everything prepared- Wx, w&b, know your POH well. As long as you have this stuff down you'll do fine.

The overarching theme throughout your test is your decision making. If you make a few bad mistakes but the examiner can see that you have common sense and make good decisions he's far more likely to view your mistakes favorably than if he can tell that you're unable to make decisions. For example if he gives you a scenario for a diversion or precautionary and you create more risk than necessary.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Bede wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:14 am

The big one people have trouble with is "prove to me that this airplane is airworthy."
So how would you answer that?

A few things come to mind:
- the hourly based maintenance has been done
- there are enough hours remaining until the next inspection to complete the flight; if not, can an extension be arranged, if that is allowed by the MCM?
- the out of phase items are within their inspection due dates (+ any tolerances allowed by the MCM)
- there are no unaddressed defects
- the impact of any deferred defects on the proposed flight has been assessed
- airworthiness directives have been completed
- a pre-flight inspection has been done
- the aircraft can be operated within its limitations as stated in the POH and/or placards - weight and balance for example

These are in addition to determining whether the documents required to be on board are valid. For example, the insurance may have expired, but the aircraft is still airworthy.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Aviatard brings up some good points about airworthiness, however some of these aspects might seem intimidating, particularly if instruction on those points has been poor.

- the hourly based maintenance has been done
- there are enough hours remaining until the next inspection to complete the flight; if not, can an extension be arranged, if that is allowed by the MCM?
- the out of phase items are within their inspection due dates (+ any tolerances allowed by the MCM)

These are not straight forward. The pilot should certainly be aware of these factors, and should know who and how to ask about compliance. If you have access to the journey log, there will be a record of the most recent maintenance, though that might not directly point you to the interval allowed to the next maintenance (particularly for out of phase items). And different organizations may handle and record these things differently. So, know that there could be differences based upon the aircraft operator, and then ask and understand how that aircraft's maintenance is recorded. You may find more useful, a board up somewhere in the office which shows the next required maintenance on the aircraft. If there is such a board, I suggest that the student be aware of it, and understand how to interpret what it says about the plane.

- there are no unaddressed defects

'Better ask how these are recorded for the aircraft you fly (where to look them up). They must be available to the next pilot, but are not always in the same place. 'Could be in the journey log, though might be in a separate snag logbook. As the pilot, you have to know where to look.

- the impact of any deferred defects on the proposed flight has been assessed

Well this is a big one... GA airplanes do not have an approved method for a pilot to accept a lesser standard of airworthiness. The plane either meets it's type certificate, or it does not. I agree that you do not need working nav lights for a day only flight, or maybe you don't need comm 2 to work, but can any instructor show where an approved document allows operation with defects? If it's written into the company manual, make sure you're conversant with that!

- airworthiness directives have been completed

I'd be surprise if this information is easily available for a pilot to determine, but yes, pilot should at least understand the implications.

- a pre-flight inspection has been done

Yup.

- the aircraft can be operated within its limitations as stated in the POH and/or placards - weight and balance for example

Yes, your weight and balance should be correct, and you should know where your basic W&B information comes from. And yes, you must adhere to the other limitations in section 2 of the flight manual. So, yes, every placard in the limitations section of the flight manual, must be in place in the aircraft. When challenged about adherence to section 2 limitations, I have asked a few self important people how, as a pilot, I am to assure compliance with limitations for which I have no equipment to measure what the aircraft is doing/has done. Every GA flight manual I recall has limitations for flight load G's - few aircraft are equipped to measure it!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

PilotDAR wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:38 am - there are no unaddressed defects

'Better ask how these are recorded for the aircraft you fly (where to look them up). They must be available to the next pilot, but are not always in the same place. 'Could be in the journey log, though might be in a separate snag logbook. As the pilot, you have to know where to look.
I don't believe there is any discretion about that:

"605.94 (1) The particulars set out in column I of an item in Schedule I to this Division shall be recorded in the journey log at the time set out in column II of the item and by the person responsible for making entries set out in column III of that item."

Schedule 1 line 9 lists in column 1:" Particulars of any defect in any part of the aircraft or its equipment that becomes apparent during flight operations" and in column 3: "The pilot-in-command of the aircraft"

I don't believe alternative snag logbooks are approved, or legal. This is particularly important at Flight Training Units which are subject to 406.41. Transport gets extremely stroppy about this.
GA airplanes do not have an approved method for a pilot to accept a lesser standard of airworthiness ... I agree that you do not need working nav lights for a day only flight,
We had a long discussion thread about this recently. There is an approved method to determine if some inoperable equipment is an airworthiness matter or not. Refer to 605.10:
605.10 (1) Where a minimum equipment list has not been approved in respect of the operator of an aircraft, no person shall conduct a take-off in the aircraft with equipment that is not serviceable or that has been removed, where that equipment is required by

(a) the standards of airworthiness that apply to day or night VFR or IFR flight, as applicable;
(b) any equipment list published by the aircraft manufacturer respecting aircraft equipment that is required for the intended flight;
(c) an air operator certificate, a special authorization issued under subsection 604.05(2), a special flight operations certificate or a flight training unit operating certificate;
(d) an airworthiness directive; or
(e) these Regulations.
It's not that hard to work out whether you need the navigation lights, and it's not a matter of pilot discretion, either. Go down the list,and see if whatever isn't working is required by the airworthiness standards, the manufacturer's equipment list ("R for required"), the OC, an airworthiness directive or something else in the regulations. If not, you're good to go without it. As long as it has been treated as per 605.10(2) which you can look up yourselves.

In the example of the navigation lights, as an example, the G1000 equipped Cessna 172's list them as "Required". Therefore one cannot undertake a day VFR flight without the nav lights working. Best not check them, then.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

I thought it was the strobe system that had to be operational, not the nav lights.

Also, something that has always made me wonder. What is the official definition of "flight operations"? Flight time and air time are defined in the CARS, but not flight operations. I think flight operations includes things like pre-flight, start, taxi, plus the actual flight itself. I see this having implications in regards to reporting of defects. Once the PIC is undertaking "flight operations", he is responsible to record defects in the Journey log, even though the aircraft is sitting in the hangar. He finds a puddle of hydraulic fluid under a wheel, he writes up the defect in the Journey log and gives it to maintenance control.

I know many people think that if something breaks on the ground, nothing needs to be entered because it didn't happen in flight (verbal reporting). Meanwhile, the PIC is the one who has operational control of the aircraft, so it is his responsibility per the CARS to report defects in writing in the Journey log.

Or am I thinking about this incorrectly?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

torquey401 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:29 pm I thought it was the strobe system that had to be operational, not the nav lights.
Whatever is in the equipment list as “required”.

Per section 3 of the Aeronautics Act:

“pilot-in-command means, in relation to an aircraft, the pilot having responsibility and authority for the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight time; (commandant de bord)”

No flight time - no PIC.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avsteve1 »

Now I'm being told that I am allowed to take notes in to the flight test which I can use, is this true? If so, I'm going to type up a little bit for every thing I need to know for the ground portion.

Return to “Flight Training”