Cat 1 medical with past cannabis use

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

washed_up
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cat 1 medical with past cannabis use

Post by washed_up »

Hello everyone, I've searched for this topic before but would like someone to confirm for me, does the medical exam for the cat 1 medical include a drug test? I have smoked weed in the past and would like to know if this will affect my examination. Also, does anyone know if the WWFC does any sort of test?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cat 1 medical with past cannabis use

Post by yhz41 »

No drug test. Just tests for diabetes.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

They don't test for it and I know for a fact WWFC doesn't test for it. Maybe if you show up to flights stoned.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

No drug test, but I would keep it to yourself, don't go in and announce it. It shouldn't disqualify you if you did, but you never know with some examiners... they might go looking for more or putting notes on your file.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

It depends on what test they use for the urine sample I suspect.

First-

Cannabis testing is really pathetic. I once got hired at the same time as an apprentice by a company that sent everyone for pre hire drug testing. They made a big fuss about it warning you several times, "We require you get a medical. There's a drug test. Are you sure you can pass." I had never smoked any so I was reasonably sure.

The next week at work, during lunch one day, the apprentice claimed to smoke often and that he had even done so the evening before. Then he explained he bought two liters of orange juice. Drank half the night before, then the other half in the morning before the test.

I'm not suggesting you need to do that, but it supposedly worked. I have worked with lots of other users that also passed some form of test.

I have heard marijuana usually metabolizes in less than a week, whether you drink orange juice or not.

Second-

I have blood in my urine, it is some genetic thing in the males of my family. I found out about it the first time getting my Cat 3.

I asked the nurse doing my pre employment medical at that company above, "Will your urine test show if I have blood in my urine." She said, "Yes, it shows many things." I explained that I had blood in mine and went through plenty of testing with urologists to determine it was normal. While doing the test on my urine sample upon finding the blood, she still got concerned and told me I should see a doctor.

So I find it somewhat funny when everyone keeps saying the urine sample you give them, "Just tests for diabetes."

Maybe they don't care about the weed, but if you have blood in your urine, my Transport Canada medical examiners will phone you. I usually mention it but one time I forgot and they phoned me again.

In my opinion, if the testing they use shows cannabis and you have not used any for at least a few weeks it won't show up.

Return to “Flight Training”