PPL Training: Boundary Bay vs Pitt Meadows

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

David Bayyari
Rank 1
Rank 1

PPL Training: Boundary Bay vs Pitt Meadows

Post by David Bayyari »

Hey guys,

I would like to have someone to describe their experience training out of these two airports.

I'm really unsure if I should go with Pitt Meadows for its closeness to the training area or Boundary Bay for the 'time' flying through airspaces and back.

Does it make a difference?
I need someone who trained at Boundary Bay airport to help me out decide if I should not worry about air commute or better go to Pitt Meadows / Langley instead.

Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: PPL Training: Boundary Bay vs Pitt Meadows

Post by lhalliday »

Boundary Bay can sometimes be too busy for its own good. Number five for takeoff, the clock is running, you're not even off the ground yet...

Why not go for a flight and see for yourself? I generally recommend Langley. Friendly atmosphere, adjacent to Glen Valley, tiny runways that really sharpen your approaches, two first-rate flying schools (Langley Flying School and SkyQuest). Flight training in 152, 172, Cherokee. I'm an LFS graduate and fly my Beech Musketeer out of Langley.

...laura

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Ultimately I would choose the one that has the shortest time for you to drive to. All these airports have thier advantages and disadvantages. They are not always obvious. During the 10 minutes used to fly from Boundary Bay to the trading area, there is ample training that can be done. Other comments I’ve seen here are also good ones.

Wahunga!
David Bayyari
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by David Bayyari »

lhalliday wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 am Boundary Bay can sometimes be too busy for its own good. Number five for takeoff, the clock is running, you're not even off the ground yet...

Why not go for a flight and see for yourself? I generally recommend Langley. Friendly atmosphere, adjacent to Glen Valley, tiny runways that really sharpen your approaches, two first-rate flying schools (Langley Flying School and SkyQuest). Flight training in 152, 172, Cherokee. I'm an LFS graduate and fly my Beech Musketeer out of Langley.

...laura
Thanks Laura.

I'm actually not sure which school I should be going to.
Can I ask you about LFS.
How was the schedule with them. I intend to be flying at least 5 days a week (instructor and weather permitting) would it be difficult to achieve that at the school?

And, do you have any experience with Pacific Flying Club? I was very welcomed there.

I keep considering Pitt's Pacific Rim, only concern is that the closest bus stop is 3km away from the airport.

I'm interested in Boundary Bay for the busy environment and having to flying over Vancouver Region (good way to familiar to the area for VFR)

Any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. LFS ground school starts July 2nd, so I have to make a decision.

David Bayyari
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by David Bayyari »

Spokes wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:47 pm Ultimately I would choose the one that has the shortest time for you to drive to. All these airports have thier advantages and disadvantages. They are not always obvious. During the 10 minutes used to fly from Boundary Bay to the trading area, there is ample training that can be done. Other comments I’ve seen here are also good ones.
Thanks.
Yes. I have pros and cons with every airport.
My worry about Boundary Bay is accessibility. I travel public transport, and the last bus out of Delta is at 1830. It's a 1hr walk to the bus stop at Ladner. Same for Pitt, it's just 30min walk.
Also Boundary Bay's ProIFR schedule is almost full all the time. However, I like the daily ground school and the airport being busy.

Return to “Flight Training”